• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual Confirms Global Blu-ray, Online Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdeformed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
If this ushers in the end of region coding I am all for it.

I know the announcements was for the Japanese RENTAL release, but I hope the retail release of Patlabor, Royal Space Force, ect.. will be under this new model.

Either way I'm glad I got a PS3 last week.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:

I know the announcements was for the Japanese RENTAL release, but I hope the retail release of Patlabor, Royal Space Force, ect.. will be under this new model.

Too late for the movies, they've been released in Japan for months already, without english subs or audio.
Bandai Visual sold them for 3-4 months in stores only, and are only now allowing them to enter the rental market. In any case those releases are never going to get the worldwide treatment unless they reauthor them and rerelease them, which I find highly unlikely.

The worldwide thing is probably for new shows only. That means perhaps Macross Frontier (assuming the Harmony Gold doesn't get in the way) and perhaps shows like true tears, sola, and shigofumi that BV USA was going to release.
Actually, from the way the press release reads pretty much ANYTHING that Bandai Visual releases on blu ray will be world-wide from now on, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about them re-releasing their entire back catalog that way.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
superdeformed wrote:

Too late for the movies, they've been released in Japan for months already, without english subs or audio.
Bandai Visual sold them for 3-4 months in stores only, and are only now allowing them to enter the rental market. In any case those releases are never going to get the worldwide treatment unless they reauthor them and rerelease them, which I find highly unlikely.

The worldwide thing is probably for new shows only. That means perhaps Macross Frontier (assuming the Harmony Gold doesn't get in the way) and perhaps shows like true tears, sola, and shigofumi that BV USA was going to release.
Actually, from the way the press release reads pretty much ANYTHING that Bandai Visual releases on blu ray will be world-wide from now on, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about them re-releasing their entire back catalog that way.

I hope this will be all releases from now on, including re-releases. Even if I can't find the shows in the stores out here it'd be nice to at least have the option to order from Japan.

Best case scenario of us old Sub-snobs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't get my hopes up at all when it comes to BVUSA, this story here could become true some day http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
if we don't stand up to unfair practices, we have stated to make the domestics reconsider a bit, or maybe they just held back until they could take greater control.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean there'll be fewer dubs going around? Because you're going to need dubbing in order to broaden the market... Also I prefer dubs for some titles...
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Visual also confirmed that another Namco Bandai Group company, Bandai Channel, plans to sell downloads of its contents. Instead of streaming, the companies are aiming to sell downloads for specialized devices to protect their copyrighted materials.

Failure guaranteed. With the whole Crunchyroll ordeal going on (not to mention its obscenely high Alexa.com ranking), as well as the popularity of legit sites like Hulu.com, isn't it explicitly obvious by now that North American consumers would prefer online streaming files with inserted ads rather than overpriced, DRM-crippled, consumer unfriendly, and overall useless and intrusive downloadable files? What a joke.

And simultaneous worldwide releases isn't going to improve anything. The timeliness of video releases has almost nothing to do with piracy, and it is most certainly not a gap that needs to be closed.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Pepperidge"]
Quote:

And simultaneous worldwide releases isn't going to improve anything. The timeliness of video releases has almost nothing to do with piracy, and it is most certainly not a gap that needs to be closed.

So I'm guessing you don't buy stuff very often. At least those of us who don't speak Japanese would be able to purchase a show as it's still continuing to air on Japanese TV. Ehh, I think timelines do inspire piracy but yes, that's not one of the big reasons that people download illegally. I really don't see any harm coming from this though.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
BluRay = loser format
Cant believe they are going whole hog with that format...
They should be doing dual HD/BD releases

I see the new $1500 and $1600 BluRay players are dying off in record numbers just days after they are fired up and used. What a joke. They should have stuck with the HD releases.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
samuel: Yes, those are Japan-only for now; but don't doubt that a lot of those are very likely to be headed to U.S. shores.

Pepperidge: People like watching streamed Gonzo anime, because it's usually so terrible, they wouldn't actually pay for it. I'm also not sure most people want to carry around Bandai Visual flicks the way they would Death Note. It's probably more niche. Although I guess it might be less niche without said restrictions...
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
BluRay = loser format
can't believe they are going whole hog with that format...
They should be doing dual HD/BD releases

I see the new $1500 and $1600 BluRay players are dying off in record numbers just days after they are fired up and used. What a joke. They should have stuck with the HD releases.

Do you really feel the need to post in every thread that makes any mention of blu-ray and fill it with FUD and misinformation? The average price for a new blu-ray player is $400.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37085/113/

The two best players, the PS3 and the Panasonic DMP-BD30K are both available for that price. Not cheap, but a far cry from the ridiculous prices you post. In another thread you claimed that sales were 10:1 in favor of HD DVD when in reality they were 7:1 in favor of Blu-ray. I think everyone gets that you don't much care for Blu-ray. Constantly making up "facts" against Blu-ray won't bring back HD DVD.

HD DVD has been abandoned by Toshiba. There will be no more new players. All players except for some of the combo players are on fire sale, as are most of the discs. That is the reality. From a business standpoint, any company would be foolish to plan new releases in HD DVD. And please, please provide a source for the record of numbers of dying $1500 and $1600 dollar Blu-ray players. I hope it's something better than "I heard from this guy at Best Buy."
superdeformed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Most shows usually have to wait for their DVD release in Japan before they can come out in America.

Hell, if Japanese DVDs worked in my DVD player and had good subtitles all along, I would have been importing DVDs for years now.

People need to keep in mind that if the industry is going to change it's going to be done in phases, it's not going to happen over night.

Doing away with region coding and one universal release is the first step. I can't wait to see how they will handle the release of Freedom.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Hmm, that's what I thought that section on "downloads to special devices" meant... but it still doesn't make much sense to me. What "devices" exist out there that could allow high quality downloads? XBOX360's video download service seems like the only one...

I predict PSP. Blu-Ray already supports PSP copies being placed on the disc.

PSP files can also play on computers. Then there's iPod files.

They could also use TiVo and potentially (though statistically not a chance) even some of the more legitimate high-end multimedia distribution system makers.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
So I'm guessing you don't buy stuff very often. At least those of us who don't speak Japanese would be able to purchase a show as it's still continuing to air on Japanese TV.

Why on earth would you get the impression that I don't buy things? I buy stuff by the crapload. However, I'm more willing to wait for a reasonably priced boxset to be released as a finished product. I have absolutely no desire to pay Japanese prices, and spreading those obscene markups worldwide is the only thing that this is going to accomplish.

I don't want to purchase a show on home video as its airing on TV in Japan... I want to WATCH it while it's airing in Japan, and free (ad-supported) online streaming is the way to accomplish this. The gap that needs to be closed is that of broadcasting, and charging people for downloadable files is not the way to accomplish this and never will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2