• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:1.0 Film Sells Record 219,000 DVDs in First Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Wow, that's an impressive number of DVDs sold in less than a week.

But actually that figure only raises huge skepticism on my part. How exactly does Oricon generate its figures? Are the sales systems in every major retail store in Japan computer-automated to report back to some organization about how many units were purchased by customers? I find that hard to believe. I do not believe any lesser methods than that can generate a reliable sales figure in realtime. Over time, I think that less involved methods can give a reliable sales figure, but not in a few days.

With the corporate Oligarchy in Japan being how it is, that capability wouldn't surprise me. I bet there are only like 5 major sales systems in use in Japan and they are probably all owned by like 2 major companies.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
That is true. In the USA I can't believe such a system would be in place but in Japan it is more believable. Still, I am skeptical that even the Japanese have such a unified system in place. Confirmation or denial by someone knowledgeable accompanied by reasonable proof would be welcome, otherwise I'm not going to believe that sales figure.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Whilst I've heard a lot about the rehash of the visuals (etc), can I assume the quality of the storyline is as good as that of the series? Does it still feel like a very good tale mixed in with a bit of filler?
Since I predict the official review is quite a while off I'm hesitant to make any rash decisions, despite being as excited as the next person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
You've got it wrong in a way. There is some reuse of previous film footage but Operation Yashima is completely done over especially with the Angel involved and Eva Unit 1 got a makeover. There are new scenes in this movie. The symbols for Nerv and Seele also got a makeover. So it looks wonderful and in a way looks and feels different from the TV series. Some people have commented that this is following the manga more.

I'd definitely would have preferred a Blu-ray version if only to drool over the Angel in Operation Yashima. That was one badass Angel. Laughing Cool
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Confirmation or denial by someone knowledgeable accompanied by reasonable proof would be welcome, otherwise I'm not going to believe that sales figure.

Is there any particular reason why you have take skepticism to the extreme that you're doubting anything that doesn't cite a half-dozen sources? I mean, can you tell me WHY you would think these given sales numbers would be unreliable, and why so many news sites -- including ANN -- would report such false information?

Also, according to AoD, it is mentioned in the Anime Insider that there may be an announcement regarding the license of the movies this summer, likely by one of the bigger licensors (pertaining to WB and Sony, as opposed to, say, FUNi or ADV).
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn is probably right about a major company picking it up. Evangelion has had enough time to permeate and soak into the minds of our media people that some executive has certainly heard "Hey, Evangelion is primo anime." Personally this release isn't worth the money for me. I'm sure there will be an interesting enough piece of SWAG in the US release.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Is there any particular reason why you have take skepticism to the extreme that you're doubting anything that doesn't cite a half-dozen sources?

Because the only thing he believes that doesn't cite half a dozen sources is himself. There's an old fan sub quality thread that's full of lol moments thanks to him. "I saw a fansub 5 years ago at a con and it was bad so every fansub is bad" etc.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
OK, so probably against my better judgment, I have purchased a copy of the DVD from Play Asia. Now keep this in mind, I speak and read only English and a little Spanish, no Japanese what-so-ever. I figure I have seen the old series and the bad camera version so many times that I can hack my way through without the help of subtitles. Does anyone know of a translated script or maybe a .sub file I could overlay on the dvd?
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
OK, so probably against my better judgment, I have purchased a copy of the DVD from Play Asia. Now keep this in mind, I speak and read only English and a little Spanish, no Japanese what-so-ever. I figure I have seen the old series and the bad camera version so many times that I can hack my way through without the help of subtitles. Does anyone know of a translated script or maybe a .sub file I could overlay on the dvd?

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. Hopefully I can work my way around the language and find a transcript somewhere. Was there any reason why they didn't include English subs? Then again, I suppose that would interfere with sales during the future U.S. release...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
That is true. In the USA I can't believe such a system would be in place but in Japan it is more believable. Still, I am skeptical that even the Japanese have such a unified system in place. Confirmation or denial by someone knowledgeable accompanied by reasonable proof would be welcome, otherwise I'm not going to believe that sales figure.

Um... in the US its called "Soundscan" and the reporting company is Billboard. Every legal CD, DVD, Radiospin, MP3 download and a bunch of other crap is recorded, counted, and logged by this company. Its not hard. Retailers just upload sales data to a server.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
You've got it wrong in a way. There is some reuse of previous film footage but Operation Yashima is completely done over especially with the Angel involved and Eva Unit 1 got a makeover. There are new scenes in this movie.

Actually, I'm sure the entire film was reanimated, just based on mostly the same original storyboards. Every frame was individually drawn for this movie; otherwise, I'm sure it would have been out a lot more quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3