• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Licenses Aria TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Great, more dating sim crap. Rolling Eyes
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

What are you talking about? Although there are now 2 PS2 games based on Aria, they are not dating sims, and the original material was the manga which the anime follows quite closely. There's next to zero romance and very little drama in the entire series. It's pure slice of life, with a little fantasy and sci-fi thrown in. And the best stress reliever I've found yet.

Man, Nozomi is kicking butt. First Emma, then Maria, now my all time favourite Aria.

I'm a little disappointed that we're (probably) not going to get the wonderful box art that the Japanese DVD releases had, but then I'm not willing to pay almost a hundred bucks per picture. Smile
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Great, more abysmal ignorance courtesy of GATSU. Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Glad to see this released in the season box set format, at very low price and without dubs. Right Stuf, you know how to cater to the hardcore crowd.

Although it obviously polarises the fanbase, I'm glad to see licensing companies selling series without English dubs. Aria isn't hot on my want to see list right now, but at least if I do end up giving it a go I won't be paying for something I'll never use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well I can't say I'm excited for this release. I have never seen it before, but the plot summary on Wikipedia certainly didn't flame my interest. I enjoy slice-of-life anime from time to time, but I've already got Maria-sama and Emma comig, so I would have liked to see something different. I'm still holding out for Yakitate!! Japan or a Geneon save (especially Saiunkoku).

However, I'm very happy for those of you who are fans. I completely approve of the way TRSI is licensing and putting out these shows in a timely and affordable fashion.

Now they just need to give me Yakitate...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

RAAAAAGGGEEE

How dare you troll Aria like that! You sir, are a terrible human and existence would fare better without you.

That said, I'm glad they licensed it; it's another one of those shows that the fanbase so adores that they'd be willing to buy it (even among the fansub only crowd) like just Emma and Marimite. Espescially due to Right Stuf's formula of not bothering with dubs (you cannot dub Aria, voices are perfect), having boxset releases so we don't needlessly overpay, and sometimes giving awesome extras like in the case for Emma. Right Stuf does it right with these niche (within a niche) titles. I'm happy for them and all the sales they will have from these shows. I still need to order Emma however.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well this is just another title I'll be saving money on. Saving it by not buying it.

I'm a dub fan. If I wanted to listen to it Japanese, I'd have long ago downloaded the fansubs. Or I could buy bootlegs. Or if I wanted to be a good paying fan, I could just import the R2s.

As it is, I won't be buying this even though I was a little interested. I have my preferences and there are other companies willing to satisfy them. At this point, I no longer give a damn what these companies do. They want to give in to fansubbers and give up on fans like me, that's just fine.

I've got money to spend but they won't be getting it. And that no longer bothers me very much.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Richard, they're not technically giving into fansubbers, they've just realized those with a drastically smaller pool of fans don't necessarily want dubs added. This isn't some Naruto or Bleach or even Gurren Lagann where a dub makes sense because of how popular they are.

Emma, Aria, and Marimite are all under the radar shows, adding a dub would only force Right Stuf out of more money that they might be able to make back. They're losing fewer fans by not including the dub, because most likely the largest percentage of those who wanted to buy were never interested in that dub.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
My reservations are that this title's very late release and questionable quality may make for poor sales.

Well if they were expecting huge sales then they would have dubbed it.

Just a guess, but am thinking Nozomi probably won't be dubbing anything more until The Third finishes its run. Probably to use what ever money they got from that to pay for the next dub work.

Or maybe that's just me wishing that they don't go to completly sub only releases. Rolling Eyes

Anyway I am with Richard, I was mildly interested in this, but not enough to pay for a monolingual disc. I will still probably be getting Emma at some point though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
Well I can't say I'm excited for this release. I have never seen it before, but the plot summary on Wikipedia certainly didn't flame my interest. I enjoy slice-of-life anime from time to time, but I've already got Maria-sama and Emma comig, so I would have liked to see something different. I'm still holding out for Yakitate!! Japan or a Geneon save (especially Saiunkoku).

However, I'm very happy for those of you who are fans. I completely approve of the way TRSI is licensing and putting out these shows in a timely and affordable fashion.

Now they just need to give me Yakitate...

I completely agree. I'm not sure what the appeal of this particular anime is (although it looks pretty), but it's not hooking me as Emma and Marimite did for some reason. A Saiunkoku rescue or Yakitate!! license would be amazing.

Oh well, Nozomi mentioned 2 more pending announcements, so there's still hope!
mDuo13

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Gotta pick up all 3 seasons as soon as I can. Too good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
holybell

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Just hearing this news made my day. Very Happy Definitely will buy all of the seasons when they arrive at my local bookstore or maybe online if I can.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
mDuo13 wrote:
Gotta pick up all 3 seasons as soon as I can. Too good.

You gonna have to wait until next year to purchase the other two seasons (assuming that Nozomi has them, but I think it's a safe bet that they do). Well worth the wait, though. Cool
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I have very mixed feelings. I really hope RightStuf does well with it, but they've lost my purchase on the last three licenses because I want a dub. I know a lot of people won't purchase it because of that while a lot of people will purchase it because of that. It's cup half full and half empty. Just my luck the half empty this license Crying or Very sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, I must have pushed some buttons with my random comment. So I'll upgrade the description to "pointless girl-watching" so it'll fit in better with the likes of Sakura Wars, Azumanga Daioh, Kanon and Lucky Star. It still isn't the type of anime I'd want to see getting a release here, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6