• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CoLours TV No Longer Runs FUNimation Channel Programs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Funimation TV on Colours was sadly neglected. Funi didn't have an interest in keeping the block fresh. It was great fun in the beginning but endless repeats of the same shows over and over again, with the same commercials yet, marked the block as doomed.

For all its faults, Adult Swim remains the only channel with a proven, long-term commitment to anime as part of its program mix. Anime came and went on channels like G4, Spike, Fuse, MTV and now Colours.

SciFi? Yes, they are running anime but will they stick with it? They had it in the '90s and then dropped it. If they start running stuff other than Manga Ent. shows, that'll be a good sign. IFC? I think that if anybody other than [AS] succeeds with anime, it'll be IFC. They've been running good shows, and they have a great presentation. They are a niche channel and have been very successful at it. (^_*)
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'll have to admit that the speedy airing of anime on other networks are quite disappointing.

I don't think I'll ever recommend it on Local channels either...
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
Sci-fi needs to bring back "Saturday Anime". I remember watching that when I was a kid. They should change it by making it a four hour slot instead of a two hour slot. Two hours dedicated to TV shows and OVAs and another two hours for feature films. And there is plenty out there that they can air. They used to show a lot of classic anime features like "Demon City Shinjuku" and "Robot Carnival" <--something you won't find on DvD in the U.S.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
They always used to play the same Fullmetal Alchemist, DBZ, and Mr. Stain on Junk Alley (which I still can't find!) commercials. Every time I wanted to see Yu Yu Hakusho it was literally the exact same episode.

And I assume this was Colours... hmmm. YYH is on FUNimation Channel's list of shows, but it hasn't been on the schedule for a while. Maybe on Verizon FIOS or VOD. Well, it doesn't sound good, but this is only 1 satellite network dumping a nightly block that was 4 hours & then chopped to 2. FUNi Channel's not dead yet... we hope...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:

For all its faults, Adult Swim remains the only channel with a proven, long-term commitment to anime as part of its program mix. Anime came and went on channels like G4, Spike, Fuse, MTV and now Colours.

Spike is not yet done with Anime as of yet, as Afro Samurai Season Two is currently in production.

Onto the FUNimation Channel, I could never watch it, because I am Canadian. But I never understood why North American anime companies never took the Dic kind of approach towards their broadcasting, and by that I mean offering their products to network affilates, like FOX 29, or ABC 3 or something. Where they could get a feasible audience, instead of satelite affilates. FUNimation did this in the past with the first 13 episodes of DragonBall in the 90's, which they are not allowed to release onto any form of video due to a contract with KidMark.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Onto the FUNimation Channel, I could never watch it, because I am Canadian. But I never understood why North American anime companies never took the Dic kind of approach towards their broadcasting, and by that I mean offering their products to network affilates, like FOX 29, or ABC 3 or something. Where they could get a feasible audience, instead of satelite affilates. FUNimation did this in the past with the first 13 episodes of DragonBall in the 90's, which they are not allowed to release onto any form of video due to a contract with KidMark.

Unfortunately, syndication is dead.

Affiliates don't even want cartoons on their weekdays 3pm-6pm anymore. WB proper even had to fight to keep KidsWB on there during the waning days of Pokemon but eventually had to surrender to the affiliates.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
I know people complain that anime almost never does well in America but in Japan, aren't the studios(or atleast companies backing the animation studios) paying the television stations to air their anime(most atleast)? And don't those same anime almost solely rely on dvd and merchandising sales to generate any revenue and not on advertising?

I can't ever hold a grudge against any american company for trying and eventually hanging up the towel if the original airings in Japan come with so many oddities and problems.

Someone stop me if I'm completely wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
I know people complain that anime almost never does well in America but in Japan, aren't the studios(or atleast companies backing the animation studios) paying the television stations to air their anime(most atleast)?

Essentially yes, but in a more convoluted way: the anime sponsors guarantee purchasing the ad slots during the anime's timeslot. (This practice is FCC-illegal in the US, BTW.)

Vortextk wrote:

I can't ever hold a grudge against any american company for trying and eventually hanging up the towel if the original airings in Japan come with so many oddities and problems.

As someone else said, many of the reasons we like anime so much are the same reasons what keeps anime from mainstream acceptance. Think about that. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2