• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny that you're mentioning "better" series beyond those aired on TV when what's widely held up as the best series practically singlehandedly gave birth to adult-targeted anime on cable in the first place. At least in my humble opinion, you just can't beat Bebop, no matter how you're watching it.
greyhawk

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I think it's funny that you're mentioning "better" series beyond those aired on TV when what's widely held up as the best series practically singlehandedly gave birth to adult-targeted anime on cable in the first place. At least in my humble opinion, you just can't beat Bebop, no matter how you're watching it.

Lol, technically, every good series has already been aired on TV, or at least on Japanese TV (Death Note, Haruhi, FMA, 5cm/s, Mushi-shi, Code Geass...). You see I wasn't talking about anime in general, but rather the mediocre shows that are aired on cable TV where I live, especially Shonen Jump ones (which are particularly prevalent here, and they have gathered quite a huge fanbase). It differs from place to place, so if you're living in Japan don't attack me now. Mr. Green Anyway, it's great that more and more people are having access to the Internet, this way they can discover more great shows that aren't aired where they live. But hey I was originally talking about Shonen Jump fanboys who think their shows are the best in the world and look down on the people who don't, why are you making me go off-topic?
BTW Cowboy Bepop is one of my favorites, cheer Wink
skyesage

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
greyhawk wrote:

Think whatever you want, I ain't insulting your intelligence or your taste (and read this before charging in like an enraged Narutard and making a fool of yourself), as long as you understand there are better series other than those you see on TV. Then again, I must ask if you've checked them out. If no, still fine, just don't scream out loud that Bleach is the greatest series in the world or keep going on about its awesomeness just because you haven't seen anything more awesome (while enjoying it is totally fine, get it?). If yes, I believe we understand each other.

Have I seen better series than Bleach? Sure I have. But...what? I'm not screaming about Bleach is the greatest thing since sliced bread (or Princess Mononoke if you prefer), I'm just bristling at the idea of fans who say things like you did that sound sort of like "People who count shows like Bleach among their favorites are obviously less intelligent and cultured than me."

...Also I have never seen a show that quite exceeded Bleach in terms of sheer over the top manliness (though I haven't seen DBZ...) Wink

I've seen a lot of stuff, or a fair amount. They may not be in your idea of good (in fact a lot of it is absolutely bad...) but whatever. All I'm saying is, there is a whole universe of shonen fans who never get involved in the online community because they are afraid of getting eaten alive...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
skyesage wrote:
greyhawk wrote:

Think whatever you want, I ain't insulting your intelligence or your taste (and read this before charging in like an enraged Narutard and making a fool of yourself), as long as you understand there are better series other than those you see on TV. Then again, I must ask if you've checked them out. If no, still fine, just don't scream out loud that Bleach is the greatest series in the world or keep going on about its awesomeness just because you haven't seen anything more awesome (while enjoying it is totally fine, get it?). If yes, I believe we understand each other.

Have I seen better series than Bleach? Sure I have. But...what? I'm not screaming about Bleach is the greatest thing since sliced bread (or Princess Mononoke if you prefer), I'm just bristling at the idea of fans who say things like you did that sound sort of like "People who count shows like Bleach among their favorites are obviously less intelligent and cultured than me."

...Also I have never seen a show that quite exceeded Bleach in terms of sheer over the top manliness (though I haven't seen DBZ...) Wink

I've seen a lot of stuff, or a fair amount. They may not be in your idea of good (in fact a lot of it is absolutely bad...) but whatever. All I'm saying is, there is a whole universe of shonen fans who never get involved in the online community because they are afraid of getting eaten alive...

We will never understand each other as long as we insist on overlaying our own personal idea of what shows are good or better onto someone else. Just because person A loved Mushi-shi and person B thought it was overrated, does not mean person A is more of a fan or has better taste. It simply means that that show did not appeal to person B. There's nothing wrong with that. If someone really likes SJ series, it's because almost every one of them is about a young (usually) teenage character trying to overcome various ordeals in their lives. This can be quite inspirational to some, if you haven't already become jaded and cynical. I prefer Bleach over both Naruto and One Piece, but if I say that pretty much anywhere online, I get shoutdowns that Bleach sucks, and that One Piece is the greatest show ever. I never said that I didn't like One Piece or Naruto (I like all three), but simply that my preference is Bleach, but forum-goers feel that it is their place to tell you how shitty your show is, simply because it isn't their personal favorite. As long as fans of anime continue to think this way, we'll never be able to see eye to eye.

PS> If you wanna see an extremely manly anime, check out Kaiji. Anime hyper
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
As long as fans of anime continue to think this way, we'll never be able to see eye to eye.

Two people could both consider themselves anime fans despite not being able to agree with any of each other's opinions. They can either constantly bicker to no avail or continually "agree to disagree", the latter of those two options being the most civilized. Refraining from voicing what one passionately believes does not come without an initial element of frustration however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
greyhawk wrote:

Lol, technically, every good series has already been aired on TV, or at least on Japanese TV

Not quite true, I believe there are OVA series that have never aired on any network, in Japan or the US.
skyesage

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

We will never understand each other as long as we insist on overlaying our own personal idea of what shows are good or better onto someone else. Just because person A loved Mushi-shi and person B thought it was overrated, does not mean person A is more of a fan or has better taste. It simply means that that show did not appeal to person B. There's nothing wrong with that. If someone really likes SJ series, it's because almost every one of them is about a young (usually) teenage character trying to overcome various ordeals in their lives. This can be quite inspirational to some, if you haven't already become jaded and cynical. I prefer Bleach over both Naruto and One Piece, but if I say that pretty much anywhere online, I get shoutdowns that Bleach sucks, and that One Piece is the greatest show ever. I never said that I didn't like One Piece or Naruto (I like all three), but simply that my preference is Bleach, but forum-goers feel that it is their place to tell you how shitty your show is, simply because it isn't their personal favorite. As long as fans of anime continue to think this way, we'll never be able to see eye to eye.

PS> If you wanna see an extremely manly anime, check out Kaiji. Anime hyper

A lot of the problem is, honestly, that on the internet everything sounds offensive, yeah?

...But I don't generally try to shut people down if they say something that I don't agree with...emphasis on the generally and I really don't mock people for their tastes in anime since I love stuff that a lot of people think is bad (like s-CRY-ed and uh...what was that show? I don't know. Oh! Rurouni Kenshin.)

I used to be on Gaia Online (curse those days) about 3 years ago...this was right before Naruto started releasing here and there was a lot of talk of the Narutard. Then again, Gaia is one of the scaaaariest places on the internet, at least for me. I'm less scared of 4chan.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
At the same time I still think there's a level of objectivity as to what is well drawn, well written, has strong musical scores, etc. I'm not arguing against anything in particular here but there is an objective scale somewhere deep down. I say this mostly because I've been hearing people say this about a multitude of various art forms for the past two weeks. It's fine if someone likes a series but you should acknowledge objective flaws if they exist. Certainly an opinion is always valid but saying that Hamtaro has psychological or philosophical elements that touch the heart and soul is just wrong. Oh and saying that Hamtaro is a great testimony to artists everywhere is also pretty much wrong. I'm sure I'm going to get attacked for this.
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Howdy, folks.

I'm Alex - AKA the guy who openly proclaimed to be drawn to stinky people on the interweb.

Just wanted to let you guys know that it was a joke utilizing a funny little literary device known to pretentious tarts like me as "irony".

That being said, I'm working on some anime endings right now. Brief, but effective.

Oh, and the Grave of the Fireflies one is gonna probably take the cake. You'll see.

Cheers!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
;__; I loved Hamtaro.

You did know it was based on a children's book, right?
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
PS: Don't take things so seriously. Anime was made for enjoyment, not to push everyone "outside the circle" away from the fun.

I used to be a BIG time snob, but over time I realized that it's just for fun and everyone is entitled to it, regardless of whether they own five or just one hundred DVD's.
hopeful_monster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Not sure where the question of the week answers go but here are my two pence.

Ending Sucked? Find the original work, read, enjoy. Most of the contenders for crap endings are series which finished before the ending of the original work, whether that was manga, light novel, novel or what ever. Cases in point FMA and Mahoromatic Season 2, the first was cut short as the manga is still going (and going, and going) and the second only the last episode in which the anime writers got the idea of what was going to happen but fouled up so badly that it made me want to erase the last episode with mental bleach.
As for the ending for Eva, a comment on another board I read sums it up

Quote:
Rewriting Eva Ending

Current ending: Everyone turns into TANG

Hopes for the new ending: Lemonade

The new ending we're getting: Milk.

What we really want: Vodka and Orange Juice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5