• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haruka Sub.DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
I've read the first volume of the manga and I like that...so far. Only time will tell.

I have seen this on the TRSI website but I'm not willing to pay $29.99 or $26.99 for two episodes per dvd. Especially for something that is sub only and no extras. I will wait until this comes out in a box set.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
I've heard of series being ripoffs, but wow...this one seems to take the cake. I don't think I've ever been more turned off by a review, even for other shows that I had no plans whatsoever to watch. Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
Watched the Tagalog dub on TV. Waste of time and local voice talent.
Serge

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've read the first volume of the manga and I like that...so far. Only time will tell.

I have seen this on the TRSI website but I'm not willing to pay $29.99 or $26.99 for two episodes per dvd. Especially for something that is sub only and no extras. I will wait until this comes out in a box set.

I don't have a problem being it Sub only (Actually I prefer it, I never watch Dubs at all, so I don't see why I have to pay a good $10 or so Extra on a DVD which contains a Dub, Imagine if BV dubbed it, it won't be $29.99 but $39.99-$44.99!)
But the price, it's a joke, I paid $29.99 for the full boxed set of Super GALS! Season 2 from RightStuf, 26 Episodes (First Week of it actually coming out, first edition), allow 2 Episodes! I really wanna to watch this but it seems like I'll have to wait also, if I've not waited long enough.

Last edited by Serge on Mon May 05, 2008 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MARl0

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
BV USA seriously needs to get their act together. At this price with no dub, I'd have to be certifiable to purchase this show from them. I'm exclusively a dub person. A show has to be something that I really REALLY want to see, and extremely low price, for me to even consider it without a dub.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
jeeze. what a ripoff. Thats an unbelievable price for a mediocre series with no dub. if its sub only it should cost less not more than series with a dub would.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
jeeze. what a ripoff. Thats an unbelievable price for a mediocre series with no dub. if its sub only it should cost less not more than series with a dub would.

With only 2 episodes and no dub it should cost WAY less than one that has 4 or 5 episodes, sub and dub and extras!
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Visual is following the Japanese releases with the DVDs.

And the reason that there's no dub is because when they tried to recreate the various levels of formal speech used, everyone speaking formally sounded like they were speaking British English, which is why there isn't one. They might make a dub at a later date, but for right now, they prefer no dub over a British-sounding dub.

And, for the record, HaruToki is NOT based off of a "girl's adventure game"; it's based off of a dating sim/visual novel.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
And, for the record, HaruToki is NOT based off of a "girl's adventure game"; it's based off of a dating sim/visual novel.

Beg to differ, unless you're saying the following two entries are totally wrong AND you can cite another source which proves it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harukanaru_Toki_no_Naka_de

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harukanaru_Toki_no_Naka_de_Hachiyō_Shō

I'll take you at your word on the dub comments, although it should be pointed out that BV not dubbing this simply because they think it's a niche title is very consistent with with their other recent sub-only releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I've played the game. There is no "adventure" to it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Folks, we have here a good 'ole fashion argument over semantics....

The "adventure" game thing is a direct translation of the Japanese game genre from the Japanese wikipedia entry:

Wiki
The Japanese wikipedia entry on the game calls it a "ren-ai adventure game", and looking at the above entry we see that "ren-ai" (love) games are split into two sub categories, "adventure" and "simulation" (and even further into ren-ai RPG, etc...).

Basically, since there's a strategy/fighting element to the game and it's not completely a dating sim, it's classified as a "ren-ai adventure" game in the japanese usage, and this was directly translated into the wikipedia article.

Your opinion doesn't really matter, the appropriate genre is "恋愛アドベンチャーゲーム". You can argue about how to best translate that.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
I wish the new BVU titles were on Netflix.

Since Geneon stopped handling distribution, nothing new from BVU has shown up there.

I just can not make a blind near $400 comitment to a series without watching it first.

It is almost as if the want and expect me to have violated copyright to determine if I want to buy it. Their pricing model makes sense for Japan, since it actually aired there, and the prospective customer could make an informed purchasing decision.

One episode streamed.... no where near enough. Hopefully the delay on their other properties shows they realize they might have asked too much of the buying public.

Contrast with Media blasters sub releases, 5-6 episodes, $15 street price, and I have not been disappointed yet.
MARl0

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

And the reason that there's no dub is because when they tried to recreate the various levels of formal speech used, everyone speaking formally sounded like they were speaking British English, which is why there isn't one. They might make a dub at a later date, but for right now, they prefer no dub over a British-sounding dub.

I seriously doubt that. Bandai Visual almost never includes dubs in their releases anymore. It's the norm, not the exception. If this was their only release without a dub, then that excuse would have some merit. But pretty much all their titles don't have dubs anymore.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I wish the new BVU titles were on Netflix.

Since Geneon stopped handling distribution, nothing new from BVU has shown up there.

I just can not make a blind near $400 comitment to a series without watching it first.

It seems Bandai Entertainment DVDs are also disappearing from Netflix. Lucky Star still isn't listed, while Eureka Seven is no longer available at all (but it was before.) Things are getting a little screwy at Netflix with regard to anime.

After reading the various reviews, I can't say I'm just dying to watch Haruka in the first place, but I would have given it a rental just for curiosity's sake at some point. Who knows, maybe I'd prefer it to FY, given my hatred of Miaka. Unless the lead in this series manages to be worse...
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
MARl0 wrote:
Dessa wrote:

I seriously doubt that. Bandai Visual almost never includes dubs in their releases anymore. It's the norm, not the exception. If this was their only release without a dub, then that excuse would have some merit. But pretty much all their titles don't have dubs anymore.

I was speaking directly to their rep after the premiere of HaruToki at Sakura-Con. I had asked about the inconsistencies with the honorifics, and someone else asked about the dub, and she said it was for the same reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2