• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Wallflower DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Cool, Nabeshin strikes again!

I was skeptical of checking this one out, but this review has totally sold me. When I get the chance, I'll have to run down to the anime/comic store I recently discovered to see if they have it for rent.

EDIT: Oh, that's right. I'd forgotten that the first episode is on this month's Newtype USA DVD. Sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nippon Animation has retained the basic designs of the original manga while significantly improving on the quality of their renderings, producing character designs and costuming still rich in distinctive shojo styles without being overkill.

Okay, seriously... who put you up to this? Were you bribed? Is this a joke?
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
ANN's reviews of the manga version totally discouraged me from investing time on the series, though the concept seems like something that I would enjoy.

I'll wait and see how the next volume will fare before checking the anime.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode via the Newtype USA DVD. Highly entertaining indeed. The first episode reminded me quite a bit of Ouran High School Host Club, which is a series that I very much enjoy (and I can't wait for FUNi to start releasing it next year), so I'll certainly be watching more of The Wallflower.

Oh, and I am in complete agreement with the review in regards to the fish chopping scene being priceless. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Newcomer Hannah Alcorn (this and Magikano are her first significant roles) holds her own as Sunako, giving her a slightly raspy voice which smoothly captures Sunako's various moods.

When I saw The Wallflower at SugoiCon last month, I was very impressed with the way Ms. Alcorn handled this character, especially for someone who hasn't had a whole lot of voice-acting experience, but has a solid background in the Houston theatre circuit. Kudos to Matt Greenfield for taking a chance on Hannah instead of one of their veterans to play the role of Sunako. I have a feeling that we'll be hearing more from Hannah in the near future, as well as ADV's other bright new star Stephanie Wittles.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Quote:
Nippon Animation has retained the basic designs of the original manga while significantly improving on the quality of their renderings, producing character designs and costuming still rich in distinctive shojo styles without being overkill.

Okay, seriously... who put you up to this? Were you bribed? Is this a joke?

I didn't care at all for the artistic style and quality in the manga, beyond the way it switched back and forth between chibi and normal appearances for Sunako. (I reviewed one volume and gave it a C- grade in artistry.) IIRC, the manga-ka even admitted in her side commentary that she was getting lazy with her artistry at one point in the series, and it showed. Not so in the animated production, at least so far.

Really, I was shocked at how much I liked every aspect of the animation, given how much I didn't like the manga. I was actually ready to complain about being stuck with this one when ADV sent me the advance copy, but now I'm glad I kept my mouth shout. Smile
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
I am really excited to see this. I am a big fan of the "reverse harem" type animes. I read maybe 3 chapters of the manga and wasn't a real big fan, but the art in the show looks really good and I have not been excited over a new show coming out in a few months. Now if only it wasn't so close to Christmas. Confused
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
This is ordinarily the type of show that I would completely overlook, but involvement from Nabeshin is more than enough to get my attention. Once I saw the first trailer, though, there was no more doubt in my mind that this would be a must-see series for me. Another bold-font entry on my long, long, long "to-watch" list of anime...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the manga, so I might give the anime a shot.
DAngel17

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing it. Even thow I have not read the manga for it.
runey

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“takiyoki” is alternately referred to by its proper name and as “octopus balls,”

What the smurf is "takiyoki"?! I've heard of takoyaki, but this sounds like some sort of demonic energy thing.

(Yes, I'm messing with you.)

My favorite part of the anime series so far is still Nabeshin's "Path to Becoming a Lady" segments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1