• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
I love Anime News Nina Smile

for some reason, the strips a few months back that were about anime convention gave me a Dramacon vibe! Good stuff Razz
Kenotic

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
For those confused, look at it this way:

Pick something you're good at. Something you've spent years, if not decades, at perfecting. Music, drawing, woodwork, writing, skiing, etc...I'll pick on writing for this example. You spent years writing, being criticized (which is not a bad thing for an aspiring writer), being encouraged, tossing out entire drafts, developing backstories, writing mystery stories that are well received, etc...

Now imagine that someone wrote a 40-page book called "How to write mysteries." It's basic, and presents itself as little more than a shortcut on how to create a copy of a greater work. A template has been made and all you have to do is add your own blanks. It's not a book for those serious about getting into writing - it's a book for those who want an easy way to do what takes normal people decades to achieve.

I remember seeing "How to Draw Superheroes" books years ago. They don't teach you how to draw Superheroes, they teach you how to copy someone else's work.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Oh man, that was great. Someone got one of those books for me (and my brother) before as a gift. They shouldn't be titled "How to Draw Manga" but rather "How to Draw in MY TEH L337 STYLEZ."

For those who don't get the joke: Have you ever checked out the "How to Draw..." section and found those American knock-offs? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Could someone help me out here, please? What exactly was so wrong that caused Nina to be so traumatised? I'm not being sarcastic or belligerant - I honestly do not get the joke, and I'm hoping someone will be patient enough to explain it to me. I know that a joke explained is not as funny. But, having never read one of those "How to" books, I will never figure it out by myself.

Was it the larger than normal breasts on the female figure? I feel so left out of the community......

Don't worry, you're not alone! I too am scratching my head in confusion over this comic. I guess because I've never actually flipped through those How to Draw books before.

ilkz wrote:

What happened? I don't get it. Is there something wrong with the book or is there something wrong with Nina? Confused OR is this something to do with that kid having idea about ninja anime...

This is my first attempt to add little picture on the left, I am not sure have I done it correctly or not, but we show see.
Here,I'll try and kill it.How to illustrate books have been around forever.The Japanese one's are damn expensive and collectible.Companies like Ginax would release limited editions,say like if you wanted to draw like Rei from Neon Genesis,there were books on how to,and where to start.I used to collect these in the early 90's

The book you see Nina holding,Looks like a parody of the cheap,aimed for the U.S. audience"how to draw ___"series.You won't learn much from reading these books.They also added an inside joke that doesn't apply to everyone,Ga?
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
While it is true that most of these books are a load of absolute rubbish, I will confess that one great book entitled "Manga Mania: How to Draw Japanese Comics" was an enormously great help to me in my early early days of drawing I even still now, years later, go back to it for help.

Dont trash ALL "how to" books. Some can be very helpfull. Not the one Nina is holding, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sinisterorion

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Basically, if you look at those American cartoons that try to mimic anime but do a horrible job at it, now imagine people making a book that teaches others to draw those horrible American cartoons that try to look like anime.

I mean the joke is she grabs a book that she thinks is to teach you to draw real anime, but when she opens it up, it's just teaching you to draw like a six year old. Most of the stuff looks nothing like anime and actually goes in a different direction then most anime, and it's just a poor attempt at making a quick buck.

the best way to understand is to go to a bookstore and check out their arts / drawing section and look through the "how to draw anime, how to create manga character" books.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Anime-Mania/Christopher-Hart/e/9780823001583/?itm=2
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Anime-Art/Keith-Sparrow/e/9780060588373/?itm=15
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
all the folks who tried explaining it wrote:
how to draw books would be worth more if they were full of nothing but blank tracing paper

*sigh* and yet I still don't get it.

Not sure if it the non-artist talking, or that my initial impression was she flipped the page again and was reacting to that (might explain my yearning to see the next few panels where it feels like the punchline must reside.) Or maybe watching Nacho Libre set "comedy==not funny" in the brain ... glad some folks get it though.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
So true, so true. In fact, I once said something like that to my sister when I flipped through one of those poorly drawn knock-offs. I pray my art doesn't look like that. Laughing
championferret

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
-claps-
Oh man, I laughed so hard...that's exactly my reaction whenever I see those hideous books myself.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
10/10

A perfect score! Razz
ilkz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
I should read some of response before post question. I did not pay detiled attention to Nina's book, take look again laugh to death Very Happy

I got a how to draw anime book last year its called "idiot's guide to draw manga something" cant remember exactly. The quality of tutorial was quite detailed and explained some basics on perspectives of objects, muscle, body propertion, and closing etc. The work example was detailed without being too off topic. But it doesn't teach you or remind you about creativity, and graphic aspect of story building other than how to illustrate generic stereotypes.

I think the best thing a book can do is to get someone a head start on basic techniques and principles, because after all art is really depend on the individual, no one can become an artist buy following some kind guide, anime or not. The down side about the book is the impression the author left to reader that become an manga artist seems as easy as (you know it...) and encourage people to get in to the industry, which is very misleading in the critical perspective. The author, should realize its audience demographic contain >90% armature hot head teenagers like Nina's last week, he/she should educate them in serious tone that only 0.001% total population can become an artist-successful artist (its useless to be one if you are not “THE ARTIST”)

sinisterorion give 2 examples: Christopher and Keith... I don't know are they meant to be positive reference or not, but I am sure that after I see the book cover I don't what to know what's inside. Mad
Wingmar

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Amusing as always. I feel like that too when watching those pictures.
Like when I was going to have manga lessons for some kids( not that I'm that good, but still Wink ) and they put up posters with pictures from Mary Coops book( think that was her name)
They asked if it was anything wrong with the pic and I replied" ehh,unn, noo Shocked nothing"
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
LOL Poor Nina.

I've always thought the How to Draw Manga series that Graphic-sha (I believe that's who does it) translated into English was all right. I'm wondering if that's what people have a problem with, or just the American how-to-draw books?
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
I've been horrifed by How-To-Draw books before, but I've also been entranced by some [Lea Hernandez's Manga Secrets=EXCELLENT, because it manages to stay introductory, but actually teaches useful comicking skills]. There's some awfully lazy books our there [the translated from japanese "Action Poses" books come to mind- nice idea, but all I can see is swiping, swiping, swiping. You don't have to be a gaijin to make a bad manga!], but some do make your mind work in a good way [or make it hurt bleedingly with MASSIVELY USEFUL KNOWLEDGE, like any Scott McCloud book].

I think it would of been a bit funnier/clearer if Robin had someonelse draw the insides, and made them horrible. Those how-to illos are still kind of cute/well drawn if misporportioned, though it's still pretty clear that that's not really the right way to draw people [as I put it in a How-To class once "first the skeletons, then the meat!"]. Robin's art is too cute for her own good in this case :)

This was pretty cute. I'm enjoying the strip a lot :)
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
To me, there is no such thing as drawing in anime style. Those professional animators and illustrators draw started their career drawing and observing mundane real life human beings, objects, and surrounding environments. Famous example would be Hayao Miyazaki at a square drawing and observing women to get inspiration for Kiki's Delivery Service.

Creativity cannot be taught because everyone has his or her own ideas and visions. Beginning level artist should understand that decent drawing skills are means to communicate one's creative idea at visual level to other people without writing a thousand words explaining your idea. Good draftsmanship, regardless of style, will happen by years of practice. Just because a person bought a "how to draw anime" book, it doesn't mean he or she will draw like a veteran artist within a week.

Speaking of those "how to" books, I sometimes question authors' credentials. I often wonder why they waste their energy and stake reputation on drawing foreign cartooning style which they are not FAMILIAR with. I see this is a marketing scheme to take advantage of current anime/manga fad among kids, which is total waste of money for both publishers and consumers.

10 years from now, I'm confident that Nina will have awesome and unique style due to accumulated experience of the artist. Eventually someone will try to emulate her. For all you serious beginning artist out there, just draw something everyday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6