• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
ok, i have no idea what this segment of News Nina is about. mayb it's because i don't have a very artsy side to me, unlike my older sister. so someone out there who's an artist, please break it down for me.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
OMG!! This was so funny. I almost didn't get it at first but it didn't matter it was still hilarious.

Yeah, I've seen my share of those books. I work in a library so we had to get those books based on suggestions from students and instructors. I was like, "WTF? Who's idea was it to think they had the skill of creating a how to draw manga book?"

Those drawings are killing me.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Namia_the_Theif_18 wrote:
ok, i have no idea what this segment of News Nina is about. mayb it's because i don't have a very artsy side to me, unlike my older sister. so someone out there who's an artist, please break it down for me.

I thought we've explained it well enough already. If this thread hasn't made it clear enough, then I don't think we can help much more than say go out and buy one of these things. (Actually, don't.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
THANK YOU, NINA! You have no idea how disgusted I am by almost every How to Draw Manga, or worse, How to Draw Anime book I see on shelves. They look so hideous. I wonder how much these authors, most all some American artist I've never heard of, actually read manga or if they just heard that's what "kids today" buy.

Instead of wasting money on these books, buy a regular drawing book THEN develop a style. These books try too hard on the 'manga' look and fail at actual drawing.

Please, we don't need more Rob Liefelds in this world. You don't learn from drawing from other comics.
prime_pm wrote:
I think the real titles should be called "How to Pad Out OnlineComics.net" or "How I Still Believe Aoi House Will Someday Become A Real TV Series."

Oh dear heaven. I can't stand Aoi House. They're the idiots who thought they could make it look more manga if they printed their OEL title right to left, right?

And.. ugh.. I just saw that OnlineComics site. I thought that was a joke. It's real and it looks hideous.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Confused

This is the first Nina comic that I didn't find funny at all. I mean, I like to draw any everything, but still I didn't find the punch line to be very funny.

Oh well, better luck next week I guess. Cool
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
huh wonder how my "how to draw shojo" pans out here
KnightSoul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who has a stack of these books. Unfortunately he has no inherent artistic ability, so they're all just a waste of money.

I ask him, "Would you go to an Italian restaurant for good Mexican food? What about going to a Mexican restaurant for good Chinese food? Then why are you letting an American show you how to draw Japanese cartoons?"
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Hart, take this to hart-- I mean... Heart.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
At last an Nina strip I passionately agree with. I always look straight ahead when passing my local chain bookstore to avoid having to taint my eyes with the "how to draw" books in the window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AeonsLegend

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The only reason people didn't get the joke was because Nina is drawn equally ugly as the book she's holding.
subordub

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
At the whole Christopher Hart thing, his books aren't that bad.
Some of you may be confused by his kids draw manga books and his other ones.
Some of his books are well drawn, and some of them aren't. Out of all the how to draw manga books I know his are better than most.

to see his different kinds of anime books---
http://www.artstudiollc.com/manga.html
http://www.artstudiollc.com/kids.html
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
AeonsLegend wrote:
The only reason people didn't get the joke was because Nina is drawn equally ugly as the book she's holding.

Did you register here just to post this amazing ice burn

Because that's really pathetic
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
AeonsLegend wrote:

Nina's looking damn good,what are you saying?I don't understand.Ohh,you must be talking about the 6 season of UMD-DX.Ouch,that was wicked to remember.I'll agree with your statement if you can find the first season UMD-DX.It's more rare than a gold LD copy of Daicon III&IV. Shocked
AeonsLegend

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AeonsLegend wrote:

Did you register here just to post this amazing ice burn

Because that's really pathetic
It doesn't change the fact that it's true.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Well. I think he's got Zac there. Really, what would Zac know about anime. This guy with two posts clearly is the winner of the argument. End of thread. Pwned.

Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6