• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
AeonsLegend wrote:
Zac wrote:
AeonsLegend wrote:
The only reason people didn't get the joke was because Nina is drawn equally ugly as the book she's holding.

Did you register here just to post this amazing ice burn

Because that's really pathetic

It doesn't change the fact that it's true.

Well then maybe you don't have to buy the UMD-DX season six DVDs, because that's clearly what you're referring to. As Shadowrun20XX already pointed out. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AeonsLegend

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
double post

Last edited by AeonsLegend on Wed May 07, 2008 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
AeonsLegend

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure post count on this forum is a good measurement for knowledge.

I don't think we should be discussing how badly drawn Nina is. It is in fact only relevant to this particular joke. In terms of art it's like the guy who finished second to last laughing at the guy who finished last. And yeah, I'm just being mean.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Well then maybe you don't have to buy the UMD-DX season six DVDs, because that's clearly what you're referring to. As Shadowrun20XX already pointed out. Wink
I have no idea what you're talking about. I replied here to Anime News Nina 2008-05-07 currently on the front page of the site.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
AeonsLegend wrote:

I don't think we should be discussing how badly drawn Nina is. It is in fact only relevant to this particular joke. In terms of art it's like the guy who finished second to last laughing at the guy who finished last. And yeah, I'm just being mean.

If you're just being mean then hey, we don't want you here. Enjoy your exile.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
sinisterorion wrote:
I have gone through those books, and I can't figure out how in the world they can be considered anime, I mean I have a hard enough time even considering those things cartoons

Tell me about it. They look like the current crap they have on Saturday mornings. REALLY early mornings. What the hell's magi-nation?

Back in the 90's, shows were never that bad. Now and days these shows consist of a young kid who is unstopable yet doesn't use his brain in battle. Typical shonen plot, yes this is.

Simply because anyone can draw, that doesn't mean the person will be the next Tite Kubo or Rumiko Takahashi. Not to crush anyone's talents or dreams, but reality isn't always kind.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
AeonsLegend wrote:

And btw that's a crack at myself given my own post count and the notion that I'm knowledgeable because of it hehe.

The Xenos wrote:
THANK YOU, NINA! You have no idea how disgusted I am by almost every How to Draw Manga, or worse, How to Draw Anime book I see on shelves. They look so hideous. I wonder how much these authors, most all some American artist I've never heard of, actually read manga or if they just heard that's what "kids today" buy.

I wouldn't say the how to drawn manga, or manga character, books are hideous. Out dates is what I would call them. All the characters in them look like they're out of an 80's OVA or movie which is all well in good, if it was still the 80's (which I wish it was since with my Hawaiian shirts I would finally be cool lol). Plus they all read the same IMO. I've flipped through several and each one felt like the same book minus the differences in pictures. I guess I was hoping for more originality and more uniqueness when I read them. I do think such books are a helpful tool to give basic tips to people who want to draw and need pointers but they need to be seriously updated.
yukikanou

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not a book for those serious about getting into writing - it's a book for those who want an easy way to do what takes normal people decades to achieve.

Like the people that say to me, "I want to learn Japanese!" then later say..."It's SO hard!" or "I don't have the money." Liars!

And it's not a (language) talent thing either!
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
yukikanou wrote:
Like the people that say to me, "I want to learn Japanese!" then later say..."It's SO hard!" or "I don't have the money." Liars!

I concur.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
One reason that was put forth was that, because the Japanese form of writing is more like drawing pictures, drawing becomes a second nature to them. There wasn't any scientific study to prove this, but the logic of it seems plausible, and the results of this adhoc comparison seems to bolster it as well.

ISTR that they have more time for art classes in the standard Japanese curriculum. Doujinshi culture seems to indicate they have more practice.

The writing system explanation doesn't make much sense to me. Every now and then I read someone attribute manga's ubiquitousness in Japan to it, yet China doesn't have nearly as much comics, and they have to learn even more characters than the Japanese to be literate.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
Huh. I didn't even think of the piles of American-made "how to draw" books when I saw this. I just thought it was apparent that she was horrified at the bad art in the book, haha. Was it that hard to get?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
One reason that was put forth was that, because the Japanese form of writing is more like drawing pictures, drawing becomes a second nature to them. There wasn't any scientific study to prove this, but the logic of it seems plausible, and the results of this adhoc comparison seems to bolster it as well.

ISTR that they have more time for art classes in the standard Japanese curriculum. Doujinshi culture seems to indicate they have more practice.

The writing system explanation doesn't make much sense to me. Every now and then I read someone attribute manga's ubiquitousness in Japan to it, yet China doesn't have nearly as much comics, and they have to learn even more characters than the Japanese to be literate.
Not that we know of, or can see. Don't forget China has been, and some would say, still is, in a cultural repression of anything remotely foreign, or possibly anti-China in their media. Remember it's Japan that is the world leading consumer of comics and animation, but that's not saying that China could not be the same, just that they wouldn't dare until now. I'm sure our Dormcat could quantify this further.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well. I think he's got Zac there. Really, what would Zac know about anime. This guy with two posts clearly is the winner of the argument. End of thread. Pwned.

Wink

You ARE kidding right? Zac's been with Anime News Network for years, of course he know's a great deal about anime. At least that is what I think, considering how excellent the previous Answerman columns have been.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Well. I think he's got Zac there. Really, what would Zac know about anime. This guy with two posts clearly is the winner of the argument. End of thread. Pwned.

Wink

You ARE kidding right? Zac's been with Anime News Network for years, of course he know's a great deal about anime. At least that is what I think, considering how excellent the previous Answerman columns have been.

Methinks the wink implies sarcasm. Razz

I've never paused to look at one of those books (I can't even draw a stick figure properly), and after seeing the example that someone posted earlier, I never plan on doing so. Silly me, I thought that "art" was about developing your own unique style and commenting on what you see around you...
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

Wink

You thought he was being serious...? I've never seen clearer sarcasm. Shocked
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

Wink

You thought he was being serious...? I've never seen clearer sarcasm. Shocked

These days, one never can be sure. I just don't like any of the staff being disrepsected, as they are the ones who keep this site alive and current.

In my days, if we used sarcasm, people would always add the line " I am just joking". Diffrent generations I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6