• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The sarcasm was defined by the smiley at the end of the post. Wink being a good indication that the odds are it might be a joke.

As for the comic, like it! Didn't get it at first till after reading the thread. Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
The writing system explanation doesn't make much sense to me. Every now and then I read someone attribute manga's ubiquitousness in Japan to it, yet China doesn't have nearly as much comics, and they have to learn even more characters than the Japanese to be literate.
Not that we know of, or can see. Don't forget China has been, and some would say, still is, in a cultural repression of anything remotely foreign, or possibly anti-China in their media. Remember it's Japan that is the world leading consumer of comics and animation, but that's not saying that China could not be the same, just that they wouldn't dare until now. I'm sure our Dormcat could quantify this further.

Actually, I've heard that China has had a good deal of comics over the years. I went to a panel at a sci fi con and someone showed an old Chinese comic book and said it sold an amazing number in its native China. Plus I know there are some Cheinse comics I've seen on comics store shelves, like Storm Riders. I think it's just that these Chinese comics sell for crap, kinda like American ones, compared to manga. Plus I don't think a lot of them are picked up in the US. I also have seen some newsstands in Chinatown NY with some untranslated Chinese comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6