• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Arrested in Japan for Spreading Anime via Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nostre

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Heavy blow But it's hard to curb all
The less well known ones would probably be most affected. Popular ones will most likely be shared anyway.

Local Japanese do have the right to record their broadcast for private use. But then they may still want the internet backup / downloading as they cannot watch / record all channels at the same time.

who_is_friend wrote:

Additionally, Gonzo has continually impressed me with their same-day subtitled episodes on youtube, crunchy, and BOST. I'll certainly be buying Druaga, and if Blassreiter gets better, that too. It's a format more companies should be following, and episode views would be a good indicator on exactly what series should be brought over.

That's the mode I want to see.

With this there is no reason to complain from foreigners using the "preview before buying" excuse. Honestly, the p2p quality is too great for "preview" uses. The HDTV versions are better than DVD in some.

Most people just watch and go, no matter you ban it or not, they are not going to buy. But if the shows are really great, it's likely that some of them will eventually spend to get a descent copy. The remaining are just issues with pricing and streaming quality regulation.

Hopefully more preview channels would be opened... However, the decision is in the hand of the production team not the rich or poor fans.
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
The Japanese should start thinking outside the box and start including English sub in their releases (especially the BDs), which would get rid/minimize the digital downloads to a good extend.

as someone who buys R2 DVD's of old series he's watched subbed at some time in the past, thank you. I'd buy alot more of them (such as series I've never seen and am less than positive about) if more had english subs.

Between that and Gonzo-style tactics, things would be set.
loka

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
one day, when big brother is all a new generation knows and privacy is a thing of the past, we may look back on this war on copyright "piracy" and thank those who gave reason to push anonymity tech development.

i encourage them to push fansubbing deep underground. advancing anonymity methods and shedding some of the laziest leeches. win-win as i see it.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i encourage them to push fansubbing deep underground. advancing anonymity methods and shedding some of the laziest leeches. win-win as i see it.

lol, wouldn't that be going full circle? I'm all for it.

-Tofu
Power2All

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
It will be just like with bittorrent.
There will always pop up a better program.
Perfect Dark I have researched thru, and is pretty safer as they left out pretty much features, and they use a harder encryption format.

There will always be a way to distribute it, it's again, floorcleaning with the crane open -_-
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
If P2P's are giving them so much trouble why don't they just torrent?

Not everyone uses torrent because it's English dominant. To my knowledge, most Japanese folks are not good with general use of English.
robtf

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Not everyone uses torrent because it's English dominant. To my knowledge, most Japanese folks are not good with general use of English.

AFAIK, they are taught how to read and write in English as part of their compulsory school education. Learning how to have a conversation in English is entirely optional, though.
teladis

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This is old news but since I feel like updating it.

Right now the only raws that are being effected is hitman reborn. While they do get some decent raws. The are pretty bad.

However,with that said..Subbing/raws are going on still as strong. So people who have high hopes of it ending is dreaming.
boarishman

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
All are not going bad, so I'm just praying for the future of p2p
P.S. fortunately, now we can get some raws, and some ones are continuing supporting the rookys
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
For anything that is a niche title (Kaiba, Amatsuki, Crystal Blaze etc) has pretty much pushed back raws by 12-24 hours. High profile titles are still getting raws out rather quickly but the high quality ones are taking longer... Soul Eater episode 5 for instance had a HD rip out like 3-4 hours after airing in Japan... Soul Eater episode 7 it took about 10-12 hours for the hd raw.. though a low quality .flv file was available after 6-8.

Only thing not really affected is the biggest title this season in Code Geass R2...
KymeraDS

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Ruremi wrote:
Can't help but to feel saddened on the fact that they had to be arrested. I think that through the years, and the fact that a lot of people share, it's become somewhat of a practice now and even an addiction; knowing that you can possibly be caught and severely punished would scare me instantly.

It seems that most people who know these consequences will still do it, which makes me think that it is in fact an addiction. Seems like it could be placed together with nicotine and smoking now too.

With the above mentioned, that is probably the reason why most fans would prefer to torrent or stream anime: they've heard of it, watched some of it, or whatever - and they liked it. They want to be a part of those who are updated, more or less, in the anime world. There may an English dub version currently in broadcast, but they were dissatisfied by the dubbing and editing. They like an anime so much that they would resort to downloading - or worse, buying bootlegged copies which are definitely "released" faster and more cheaper than the official DVD releases....

OT: "Addiction" may be too strong of a word... Maybe something along the lines of martyrdom or true fandom... Smile
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Nah. Addiction seems pretty much close to it. >.>;
JINROH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I think it's about time.

The pirates are not true fans in my view and it's time for them to go. The more pressure they face the better I feel. Don't want to pay? Then go find some other hobby.

Viga_of_stars wrote:

I think you need to read up on what's really going on here.

I agree.I have zero sympathy for the pirates,and fan subbing is not really fan subbing anymore,most 'groups' (out and out thieves) have no honor/morals/ whatever you want to call it.Subbing a whole series and offering HD copies,and or re releases with varied fixes etc,goes way way way over the line,of whats ok in my book.

Subbed series should be totally dropped after 2 or 3 eps,period.
Nevermind when its licensed....

If you cant figure out if its worth a buy at that point,there is something wrong with you.

All these tracker/pay/mu/rs/ sites need to die a violent death.I hope this is just the beginning of a larger effort by the Japanese government.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4