• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rock Band Glay to Perform 3 Concerts in California

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nermal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
YESSSS!!!!!!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
More like formerly popular. No offense to their fans..they just havn't had anything good in a looooooooooong time.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
Their new single, released on the 11th, is ranked first at the Oricon singles chart. Just sayin'.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
Fillmore is conveniently near Japan Town. I had no idea that they were still together as a band, or that they worked on any anime until right now. On a side note I went to Kinokuniya last month and the band Love Psychedelico was there signing CDs. Someone posted a funny blog about this event.

Quote:
After they were done with their encore we went back to Japantown and went to Shabu-sen, a shabu-shabu restaurant and got some real actual Kobe-beef sukiyaki, which wasn’t cheap but was so worth it. We went to the CD signing and stood in line for about 40 minutes before getting the CD and talking briefly with Kumi and Naoki. Naoki, the male guitarist, signed a heart by my name, which I think he had gotten into the habit of doing after signing so many CDs for young girls before getting to mine, and then said (in Japanese) “oh, here’s a heart… even though you’re a guy. Sorry.” I told him “no worries, it’s San Francisco!” and thanked him for the performance earlier.

There have been a few other J-pop/rock that have visited San Francisco, and I'm still sad that I missed Loudness (they even have a song named San Francisco) when they played at the Pound a couple years ago.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
I am psyched for this. I get back home to San Francisco from Japan in a week and a half, and didn't manage to see GLAY live while I was here. This will be a treat if I can manage to get tickets!

Kougeru wrote:
More like formerly popular. No offense to their fans..they just havn't had anything good in a looooooooooong time.

Wait, what? You (or other people) not thinking their music has been good lately doesn't mean they're "formerly popular" since there are still tons and tons of people that still like them. I mean...

mufurc wrote:
Their new single, released on the 11th, is ranked first at the Oricon singles chart. Just sayin'.

Exactly. Well, it had the #1 spot for four days and then got kicked down to #3 today. I don't think that makes them formerly popular at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Their new single "VERB" is really good! There's also an awesome U2 cover on it.
Bambuluah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

They are, for sure, one of the three biggest rock bands active (the other two being B'z and Mr.Children). And all their releases reach the top positions in the charts, so "formerly popular" is a description that doesn't apply to them. Overseas fans have only the wrongest impressions of Japan Music Industry.

Also, I doubt that you have listened to many things from them to have any opinion on their quality. But I think not having anime tie-in's will do that to a band.

About the Japantown thing, they said in their official site taht the concerts are targeted mainly to their Japanese fans in the U.S. So, it's just fair.
Emichan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Glay at the Fillmore! I want to go to that! It will probably sell out quickly Anime cry
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Bambuluah wrote:
They are, for sure, one of the three biggest rock bands active (the other two being B'z and Mr.Children).

Aside from their habit to go into hiatus often, I'd put L'arc~en~Ciel up there too. I was at a concert of theirs earlier this month at Tokyo Dome, and it looked like they had sold out the stadium. Their releases also go up to the top of the charts quite often as well!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1