• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku Published

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barashin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
There's been fanboy whining for months about how this is going to be the "worst movie EVAR!!1!11", yet we haven't even seen a trailer yet. It could be terrible, or it could turn out better than everyone's expecting, so the premature doomsday predictions are getting a bit tiresome.

tell me about it Mad
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
It's hitting here in April.Does that mean it's a joke?I wonder what the Japanese think of it.
As an American I want to apologize in advance for any dishonor we may have caused.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
More so than the guy's stature and hair, I'm wondering why he's dressed in a T-shirt. Really, it wouldn't be hard to get a karate gi and dye it orange.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Blah blah blah. Whine whine whine. Great or terrible, not sure why people are getting so worked up over it. It's like they think the movie will ruin the original series/manga or destroy our relations with Japan in some way. Rolling Eyes

I still want to see this. Smile
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
cenorig wrote:
This emokid with a hair gel overdose hardly resembles Goku in any way.

That would require an awful lot of experimental plastic surgery I imagine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nerdx2000

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
jackie chan woulda made a better goku
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
well im not gonna say a thing, we still have a year before it comes out here so prolly see trailers this winter. then i will judge, it looks like its going to be okay but thats about it.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Now, the question is, will they shoot him up with real steroids or put him in one of those cloth muscle suits? Laughing 'Cause I don't know much about body building, but I don't think you can build a wall of muscle in a couple of months...

Are they adapting Dragonball or DBZ? I'm a little confused...
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
Are they adapting Dragonball or DBZ? I'm a little confused...

Dragonball
Optix

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that I'll go and see the movie in theaters but it's a definite rental just to see how good or bad it is.
Satiety

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
wow, I'm hoping this turns out good... for some odd reason. The way they did Transformers was better than expected (not sure about Speed Racer yet since I haven't watched it. Speed Racer trailer seemed...bad to me).

I can't say much about it yet since it's JUST a picture. We need trailers.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The best part about this movie is the hilarious wailing and moaning temper tantrum response it gets from anime fans.

Wait a sec.

Is this Zac saying in a round about way that he thinks this movie will suck? Wink

As for me I will hold judgement, but I am unimpressed with that picture. But then again, it's just a picture, and a movie is so much more than a picture. So basically, there's no telling at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
Angry whining about a movie

To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.

To compensate, the costume designers for this movie have modernized them so that they don't suck. They went through 50 or so costume designs for Goku (and yes, several of those iterations *were* exactly like Toriyama's original), but eventually decided on one that would be comfortable, look cool, and look good on camera. And they chose hairstyles that were realistic and from, you know, this decade.

All this whining is ridiculous. The Dragon Ball manga isn't a holy scripture. If they change something for the better, I'm totally okay with it.

Also, the t-shirt isn't his final costume. He just happens to be wearing it in the promo picture, since he starts out as a high school kid. Chill, guys.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Have any of these whiners ever seen Dragon Ball? It's a freaking comedy about a young kid growing into his teens. Plus, really, how else were you gonna do his hair? Welcome to translating cartoons to live action.

Believe me, following various US comics 2 film, I've seen so much worse. This really isn't looking that bad so far. You've already have every chapter of the manga adapted to anime. This live action film is a bonus. You know how many US comics I wish could get adapted like that?

Hell, this is still looking pretty spot on. If anything that pic of Piccalo with the face blocked out is a bit more upsetting. They went with a more black armor.

Then again, speaking of black armor, I'm more pissed about GI Joe. They've gone the X-Men movie route, taking away color and putting on black leather. At least Dragon Ball is keeping Goku's hair and bright duds.
nerdx2000 wrote:
jackie chan woulda made a better goku
Wow. People like you make my head hurt. Jackie Chan is too old. Goku, even in DBZ, never mind DragonBall, is young. If anyone, he could be Roshi, but they have Cow Yun Fat in that role. Plus it's not like Chan is the only Asian martial arts actor. Not that all martial artists are Asian. Not that Goku was Asian or even human. Geez.
SakechanBD wrote:
To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.
I thought some spy photos had them in those outfits.
Quote:
All this whining is ridiculous. The Dragon Ball manga isn't a holy scripture. If they change something for the better, I'm totally okay with it.
I would argue that if someone is adapting a work, they should treat it with respect, If you change somehting, it better be for a good reason.
Quote:
Also, the t-shirt isn't his final costume. He just happens to be wearing it in the promo picture, since he starts out as a high school kid. Chill, guys.

Plus, unlike a cartoon, a real live actor can change costumes much easier. So they can show Goku in various outfits instead of just a uniform costume.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

To compensate, the costume designers for this movie have modernized them so that they don't suck. They went through 50 or so costume designs for Goku (and yes, several of those iterations *were* exactly like Toriyama's original), but eventually decided on one that would be comfortable, look cool, and look good on camera. And they chose hairstyles that were realistic and from, you know, this decade.

Good point. While some hardcore DB fans would appreciate more, um, "accurate" costume designs, the filmmakers aren't putting the movie out for them alone. They also have to draw in moviegoers who may not be familiar with Dragonball. I highly doubt that the average joe would be excited to see this movie if the characters dressed as they do in the manga/anime. I can hear them now... "Why is everyone wearing pajamas and have hair that looks they just stuck a fork in a wall outlet?"

As much as I enjoy Dragonball, I can't keep a straight face whenever I think of how the characters would look if portrayed exactly as they appear in the manga. I have no real problem with Goku's appearance in the picture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10