• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku Published

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
And I suppose it's fitting that Japan gets to see it first, but kind of sad, too. I gotta wait 'til April 3rd. My boyfriend's a huge Dragonball Z fan, and he was pretty sad about that. But we'll be first in line on that day! Very Happy

Hopefully, the streets of Shinjuku won't break out in a total anger riot after the flick is over. Confused
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

1. They're not trying to make this a cosplay wank-fest. They just want realistic hair and realistic costumes. Who in real life has Goku spikes? Nobody who also spends half his time punching bad guys. Can you imagine how much that hair would get in the way? Or give the bad guys a way to grab onto their hair? Seriously.

Who in real life looks like Goku at all? Nothing about DB was realistic. Except maybe that they needed air to breathe.

That picture posted made me do a spit take. The fact they're seriously going to use that as his hair is nuts.

This is nothing more than taking a popular franchise and f-ing it up to make money. At least the brothers seemed to care about their source material.

This isn't to say I won't go see the movie, but I know going to the thearters I won't be seeing DragonBall, i'll instead DragonBall of Shit.

And i'm not even that big of a DB fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

1. They're not trying to make this a cosplay wank-fest. They just want realistic hair and realistic costumes. Who in real life has Goku spikes? Nobody who also spends half his time punching bad guys. Can you imagine how much that hair would get in the way? Or give the bad guys a way to grab onto their hair? Seriously.

Who in real life looks like Goku at all? Nothing about DB was realistic. Except maybe that they needed air to breathe.

...which is why I'm not bothered that Chatwin doesn't look like Goku.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't actually seen any of the anime adaption of DB/DBZ, nor have I read any of the manga, so I may not be in the best position to comment. But I have seen various pics of the characters, and from that I can tell that a live-action adaption was put in a tough position from the start.

If they change the style of certain character designs too much, they get blasted by the hardcore fans. And if they don't, the characters look absurd. Maybe DB was a bad choice for a live action version in the first place, but with it being such a huge series I'm not surprised they attempted it.

It might actually turn out decent, though it seems like it will have a rather different visual flare than the manga/anime does.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan:
Quote:
Who in real life has Goku spikes?

Who in real life is named Goku? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Nobody who also spends half his time punching bad guys. Can you imagine how much that hair would get in the way?

If it's good enough for Stephen Seagal and Robbie Coltrane...

Quote:
2. "They only got started on it a few months ago"? Dude, they finished filming in March.

And yet their delay of it suggests otherwise.

Quote:
Can you imagine if it was a bunch of wrestlers in goofy outfits? With the exception of you, and maybe a handful of other anime fans, everyone else on the planet would think it looks stupid and ridiculous.

If Tyler Mane can pull off Sabretooth, why not anyone else for DB?

fighterholic:
Quote:
Iron Man without a doubt has a lasting impression you can't shake off easily, not to say that Dragon Ball is going to compare to Dragon Ball, but I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who will enjoy it.

Iron Man had talented actors, albeit one who was a former junky, but talented nonetheless.

Shadowrun:
Quote:
I hope Chow will pull this thing off with a dose of CG.

Chow said he's only in advisory role as producer, so it could go either way... Sad

Ultima: Just get a midget wrestler for the kid Goku. Wink
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
2. "They only got started on it a few months ago"? Dude, they finished filming in March.

Dude, it's called post-production.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

So according to you

[insert photos here; not needed to be repetitive]

Fail.

Sorry dude, but that was according to you. You're the one who chose the photo. Yay for beating sarcasm, huh?

x.x I like the Undertaker. No fail.

Anyway, this arguing is getting extremely ridiculous. I can't wait to see the world for "DBZ fans"ending because of 1 friggin photo. And as far as I've seen, a lot of DBZ fans has either never watched the Dragon Ball series.

so...what now?

EDIT - It makes me wonder, though...there have been a lot of live action adaptations for anime in Japan; I wonder if there would be this much gripe if they decided to make changes in the particular series to their movie. They do it to a lot of movies quite frequently.
(Saikano; Death Note, Yah, you know.)

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Tue May 13, 2008 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
fokku: Post normally doesn't take longer than the shoot.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fokku:

Its fokkusu, or fox. Wink
Quote:
Post normally doesn't take longer than the shoot.

Who knows, maybe they did finish filming in March and they're just taking their sweet time with the post-production or they actually need more time for editing, sound, and CG than the actual filming. I'm guessing they just wanted to avoid the competition.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

They are done filming. Done. Finito. Completus. Post-production.

Quote:
If Tyler Mane can pull off Sabretooth, why not anyone else for DB?

Sabretooth is grizzled and pretty old-looking. Goku is introduced as a boy. Boy != jacked pro-wrestler.

Quote:

What the hell kind of argument is that? Who in real life is named Wolverine? Who in real life is named Napoleon Dynamite or Juno McGuff? What the hell does a name have to do with realistic hair?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Quote:

What the hell kind of argument is that? Who in real life is named Wolverine? Who in real life is named Napoleon Dynamite or Juno McGuff? What the hell does a name have to do with realistic hair?

He's equating an odd name to odd hair, basically saying that since they can keep a name that wouldn't likely show up in real life and that would seem unrealistic, they can also keep a hairstyle that also wouldn't show up in real life and would seam unrealistic.

While I understand that arguement a bit, I think Goku style hair would stand out and look odd a lot more than just the name Goku.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
samuelp

You hear any good news from your side of the world about the live action Dragonball?Whats the word?What was their take on Speed Racer?

Speed racer isn't being released here until July, I think (that's what the movie poster said), and interestingly enough it was called "Speed Racer" and not "Mach 5 Gogogo!" (the original Japanese anime name).

As for the live action Dragonball, well the otaku over here don't even really pay attention to Dragonball at all, it's an old-school shounen stuff they try hard to ignore. It seems like the franchise does okay over here, though, with the new video game (blazing meteor or some-such) and there's always some dragonball stuff in the ufo-catchers... But those are right beside the figures of Lupin III and Zaku Mark IIs: I.e. Dragonball(Z) has just become one of those few properties to have seeped into the mainstream culture in Japan, and so they try to sell stuff to the general public. I think they're actually rerunning the entire show on animax at the moment, too (maybe that finished).

Generally I think that the actual target audience in Japan for the movie will be parents who were fans of the shows WHEN THEY WERE KIDS, who will bring their kids to the movie: Actually, it's kind of backwards:

In the US, the audience for Speed Racer was parents with nostalgia for old cartoons bringing their children with them.
In Japan, the audience for Speed Racer will be kids and teens who are fans of the Matrix.

In the US, the audience for the Dragonball movie will be kids and teens who like the show on TV.
In Japan, the audience for Dragonball will be parents with nostalgia for old cartoons bringing their children with them.

Totally switched.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan:
Quote:

They are done filming. Done. Finito. Completus. Post-production.

Then the latest it should be out is December, not April.

Quote:

Sabretooth is grizzled and pretty old-looking. Goku is introduced as a boy. Boy != jacked pro-wrestler.

It worked for Spider-Man...

Quote:

What the hell kind of argument is that? Who in real life is named Wolverine?

A sports team.

Quote:
Who in real life is named Napoleon Dynamite or Juno McGuff?

I don't think anyone has those names together, but I imagine there are plenty of people who at least have one of those names.

sam:
Quote:
and interestingly enough it was called "Speed Racer" and not "Mach 5 Gogogo!" (the original Japanese anime name).

I don't think Speed Racer is as popular in Japan as it was here. Tatsunoko's hit there was clearly Gatchaman.

Quote:
In the US, the audience for Speed Racer was parents with nostalgia for old cartoons bringing their children with them.
In Japan, the audience for Speed Racer will be kids and teens who are fans of the Matrix.

I think it's the other way around, actually. The older parents here seemed to go for Iron Man, while younger adults and teens who only saw the show through re-runs were the main audience for Speed Racer. Teens in Japan will probably be more interested in that female Zatoichi flick, while the adults in Japan will see Speed Racer, because they want to find out if it can compete with the older stuff. [If you want a good analogy, there's the live-action Casshern and Tetsujin 28, which should have done better, because they were flashier, but only appealed to the older crowd.]

Quote:
In the US, the audience for the Dragonball movie will be kids and teens who like the show on TV. In Japan, the audience for Dragonball will be parents with nostalgia for old cartoons bringing their children with them.

I think kids and teens on both sides of the ocean will go for it, since DB still makes money with them; parents in Japan have probably moved on to manga which appeals to their age groups.
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Funny -

This is the first time I've seen such a heated debate about hair among straight guys.

I think his hair is funderful.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Then the latest it should be out is December, not April.

Weren't you the one complaining about how things like this "need a lot of planning?" They're taking their time to make this release shine, and now you're upset about it? Pick one or the other.

Quote:
Quote:

It worked for Spider-Man...

What? Are you saying Maguire's a pro-wrestler?

Quote:

Quote:
Who in real life is named Napoleon Dynamite or Juno McGuff?

I don't think anyone has those names together, but I imagine there are plenty of people who at least have one of those names.

I bet you $20 that there are probably some Asians named Goku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10