• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Hints at Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino- Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
samuelp wrote:
I watched about 3 episodes of this before I could stand no more: The limited animation and budget shortcuts, plus terrible DIRECTION (uneven editing, pacing, action also was blocked really poorly IMO)... it left a horrible taste in my mouth and instead of reminding me about what I enjoyed about season 1, it was just painful to watch: I kept hoping the "the next episode will be better"... but after 3 I could take no more.

We're talking stills with shaking pans and background noise to depict "riots" and nearly flintstone-esque background looping during car chases, and that's just in episode 1.

Are you talking about the same Artland that did Mushi-Shi? Confused

Anyway I am happy about this news, since the first series really needed to have some sort of completion to it. However I am disturbed and sort of scared now with all this negativity towards it. I guess people aren't liking the art and animation very much, but what about the story? For me that was always the best part about Gunslinger Girl. I guess I am just having a hard time that the animation could be THAT bad. I hope they release the first episode online so that I can see for myself whether it is within my tolerance levels.

It is really that bad. I loved Mushi-shi and I agree with you that the animation quality in that show is great. But having watched the first 2 episodes of this show in fansubs, it was horrible. Just like he said there is a lot of "shaky camera" action. The music is also terrible and feels out of place (it's very emotionless gamey music).

I don't think it's bad because it's "moe" (I like moe actually), it's bad because it was shoddy and poorly done.

I wanted to watch more of the fansub to convince myself to buy the show. I may still buy it just because it is GSG, but... I will probably only watch it once.
stevek504

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Wow, I haven't seen either Gunslinger Girl season, but I have been thinking about checking it out. Is the second season really that bad though?

I guess I'll have to see it for myself if I ever check out the series. I know a fair amount of people didn't like the second season of Higurashi, and I've enjoyed that so far at least.

I think its like others (cool3865) have said, the first season set the bar. For many, the second season is not making the grade. Personally, I had hopes that the second season would be better than the first. It is not as good as the first (my opinion). The animation suffers tremendously, just as it did in the manga (2nd season).

Monsieur Pink asked the question ...didn't the series creator worked on Gunslinger Girl -II Teatrino- while he didn't on the first adaptation? If that is the case, what went wrong? Small budget?

I watched a bit of the second season, I couldn't wait to see it, but stopped because it was not as good as the first.

Still, there is a story arc here that is very good, (I have the manga) and so I must see the anime version (and own it). Triela rules! I hope a lot of quality merchandise comes out of this launch. Oh, and Triela rules. Anime catgrin

If there is a third season, lets all hope they can pull it together and do it right. GSG has enough going for it that it could go on and on and on. I would caution them not to count on the fans to just buy it because you put something out there.

Last edited by stevek504 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
As I've said repeatedly, when compared to the majority of anime out there, Il Teatrino actually isn't that bad production-wise. It just doesn't fare well in comparison with the first season, but very few series out there do.

I would have preferred them keep things the same, of course, but the second season is still very enjoyable in it's own right because it covers what I consider the better parts of the manga, where the plot begins to become a bit more continuous rather than a series of events in character x's life.

I'll be amused if we get the licensed DVDs out before the fansubs for the season, which will happen if things keep going like they have now.

But if you like the story of Gunslinger Girl and want to know what happens (or want to see more of the manga adapted) then it is definitely worth checking out. And you do get used to the changes in production.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't really the simplification of the character designs and the poor animation that bugged me, it was that the 'feel' of the series did a 180 in what I don't think is a good direction compared to the first series. Also, lame directing.

Perhaps the rest of the episodes are better, but the first episode left a rather bad taste in my mouth.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
You might want to check out this blog. The author really liked the second season.

That said, the first episode is pretty bad. I'm amazed that the first R2 DVD has only that episode on it. They must have pretty sure of their market to do that. Very Happy

I occasionally read the Star Crossed Anime Blog, but I didn't notice it had covered Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-, so thanks!

Quote:
The bad news: the fight scenes will look fake, and there will be speed-lines. The good news: this is about the only thing that’s wrong with this series.

Seems all good then!
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Though everyone is saying it's awful, I'll at least rent the second season.

Now only if they were licensing Nanoha from Geneon instead.
Efscope

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Cicatriz wrote:

Now only if they were licensing Nanoha from Geneon instead.

Can't agree with you more!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could be excited about this license, but I stopped watching this after two episodes. It was incredibly disappointing. Everything about ti was mediocre at best and the animation often dipped into poor. I've already read the manga of the portion this series would cover, so its not like I need to see it to see where things go. Perhaps I'll get the set someday, but even that's unlikely.
loka

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
i think the second season is fine. the 1st opening theme also beats out the "Light before We Land" opener from the first season. the annoying shaking pans dont persist past the beginning of the series.

i also feel that it more closely resembles the manga. perhaps those hating this season held the first one in too high regard to start with, and made it into something it was not.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i think the second season is fine. the 1st opening theme also beats out the "Light before We Land" opener from the first season.

I also like the new OP, though I'm not sure that it matches the mood of the series. Some of the music choices during the actual episodes are ridiculous, however. I mean, seriously atrocious.

Quote:
i also feel that it more closely resembles the manga. perhaps those hating this season held the first one in too high regard to start with, and made it into something it was not.

Or maybe the first season was just a rare example of an adaptation that improves upon the original.

As people have said, there wouldn't have been so many complaints about the quality if it hadn't been for the first series. They'd just accept it as yet another mediocre low-budget anime (several of its failings can't even be blamed on its budget). Not sure that this would have helped its popularity any, but there you are.

As things stand, everything I found good or unique about the presentation of the first series is absent in the second. Everything. And that causes some disappointment. Though the story and characters are still good, the poor presentation distracts from them -- it's tolerable, but if you don't care about audio, animation or direction, you'd be better off sticking with the manga.

(In summary, I think Il Teatrino is OK-ish, but also that there is cause for disappointment).
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i think the second season is fine. the 1st opening theme also beats out the "Light before We Land" opener from the first season. the annoying shaking pans don't persist past the beginning of the series.

i dunno i didn't think it beat out The Delgados - Light Before We Land, i liked how they did the OP for the 2nd season.

its just that the song for 2nd season OP didn't really match or give the same mood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4