• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

But apparently OEL advocates state that the sole determinant of whether something is manga or not is whether the artist declares it as such, so =/

Well, no different than in Japan where the sole determinant whether a manga is shounen or shoujo (or seinen or whatever category) is if it's published in a shounen or shoujo magazine, no matter the contents (what matters is who the target audience is). Laughing
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Actually, this is a lie. Apparently OEL mangaka don't get royalty checks because the books don't even make enough to pay back the advances.

What if that $2.19 is the advance? Very Happy
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Great jab at TP there.

Is it true that Tokyopop people get a short end of the stick on their work? If so that's sad.
jaimevelasco

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious.
Man, I just hate OEL. I can't stand it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I don't think Robin is ripping on OEL's / Worldmanga here, she's ripping on the OEL industry.

-t

Which to be fair, is kind of well deserved- TP had a bit of a bad reputation when they first started putting out works for their contracts which divided the copyright between them and the artist unlike most non-Marvel/DC companies where creators maitained these rights in whole most of the time [Mind you, I've generally percieved this to have improved a bit, and their new submissions program is a great deal more creator friendly. I'm still pondering submitting again, but I'm not sure I have the free time required to keep to TP's schedules].

Now mind you, Antarctic Press, Dark Horse, Oni Press, Marvel, DC, Image, and numerous others have been doing it for ages before the term OEL was coined---- Adam Warren, Ben Dunn and Lea Hernandez's american manga works predate TP's efforts by decades [heck, one their best OEL output, Shutterbox, is by Studio Tavicat, who've been doing manga-styled comics professionally since the late 80's].

That's also overlooking artists who didn't market their titles as manga like the above, but have stated it's immense influcence on their artwork like Colleen Doran and Frank Miller.
\

BTW--- OEL was mostly created because the older fandom term for these works, Amerimanga, was often derided by some fans. Now OEL is, and it's being used less.

Curiously, fans tend to pick less at manga-style webcomics, probably because they're free [..... incidentally, read my webcomic! IT'S FREE! http://girlamatic.com/comics/jeepers.php ]though I think Books+Creators Getting Well Deserved Pay=Always Good. I'd love to see an ANN Nina print comic someday [maybe run one in Protoculture?

Last edited by Paploo on Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Actually, this is a lie. Apparently OEL mangaka don't get royalty checks because the books don't even make enough to pay back the advances.

I WISH I WAS LYING.

Quote:
i laughed hard at work when seeing this, yea Tokyopop will publish anything now

I'm getting published in Tokyopop's RSOM 8.

I'm an 18 year old college freshman who has never taken a formal art class and has no real understanding of even basic anatomy.

Therefore, I agree with your statement 200%.

Distinctly Japanese panelling and rendering and all that jazz? I dunno. It's not much different than American Sunday funnies.

Not much different than American Sunday funnies? Well, comics are comics are comics. At the end of the day, that's what it all boils down to, and manga's all part of it.

Anyhoo, if you did win the Rising Stars contest, congrats! While people do jab at TP, trust me, if you made it into the book, you've probably done a good job. Comics is hard work. And a comic with a good story/characters and iffy but distinctive art usually tends to be better then one with incomprehensible story and ultra slick art [see Rob Liefeld in general].

From my understanding, TP does indeed pay royalties [which do indeed hinge on your sales level, but thats' a fact for ANY publishing company], on top of the advance/pay for the book itself- they're page rate is generally okay. Not Marvel/DC page rate, but not many companies offer that kind of pay anyways.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that with Rising Stars, you maintain all copyrights to your work- Slave Labour is publishing Next Exit, which is from Christy Lejewski's entry in one of the earlier contests TP held.

Do keep in mind that they're not the only fish in the sea though, just one of many viable options [if a very big fish]. VIZ [well, they're working on it], Seven Seas, Del Rey, and other manga publishers have domestic gn lines, and Dark Horse, Oni Press, Slave Labour Graphics and other assorted companies are also open to submissions.

I've submitted to TP myself twice over the past 5 years [once when they started, and again last year], and it's generally a good experience. I might of jabbed at them a little in these posts, but it's all up to the individual whether going with them is good for them or not. Always keep in mind that Comics Is Serious Business, so rejections and actual criticism of your work are to be expected!

Also, follow the GuideLines. Part of the fun of Mike was how he was an example of how NOT to follow guidelines initially- given he got published, looks like he did Smile I once knew a crazy forum member ages ago of another site who was infamous at one comics publisher for sending thema 100+ page, all text description of his 50-issue scifi/superhero comic series, when the publisher in question focused mostly on manga/indy b+w OGN's and miniseries. KNOW YOUR BATTLES!

Last edited by Paploo on Wed May 14, 2008 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, no different than in Japan where the sole determinant whether a manga is shounen or shoujo (or seinen or whatever category) is if it's published in a shounen or shoujo magazine, no matter the contents (what matters is who the target audience is). Laughing

Which results in Bamboo Blade and Gantz getting slammed into the same category! =D

Quote:
From my understanding, TP does indeed pay royalties [which do indeed hinge on your sales level, but thats' a fact for ANY publishing company], on top of the advance/pay for the book itself- they're page rate is generally okay. Not Marvel/DC page rate, but not many companies offer that kind of pay anyways.

TP pays royalties IF your book makes back the advance. This rarely happens, so we can assume that unless Mike is the new Svetlana, he's not making that $2.19. =D[/quote]
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
can't wait until the next big Kyotoblip sale at TRSI Razz
ilkz

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Next strip: will Nina become a fan of such abomination? Sad
pixiebell

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Nina is so cute with her stack of manga. The sad thing is that I act the same way when they get new manga in our comic shop.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
You know, I bet if there was an earth ninja in there Mike would have made more money. XP

Ok, so red=fire ... no problem. But blue=air and green=water, or green=air and blue=water? I just want to be clear on if I need the gas mask or I need to bring a bottle.

miggie wrote:
Next Week on Anime News Nina Legend of the Fire, Water, Sky Ninjas the anime! Wink

My second thought was on if LoFWSN would have the running gag power of Daisuke ... after having to type the acronym out, my bet is heavily on no, despite Shadowrun20XX's comment.

icepick314 wrote:
if he pays tax on that income, he'll qualify for $600 Economic Stimulus Payment!!!

Not without another $7,997.81 of income ($2,997.81 for a $300 stim) ... and zilch if mom claims him on her return (what are the odds?) *couldn't get the accountant hat off fast enough*
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

It's not just mangaka. Most books don't make back their advances. The publishing industry is not one to get rich in.

Edit: Oh, and back on topic: This week's strip made me laugh out loud, which got me the "what are you laughing about?" glance from a co-worker. Wink
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I see people don't accept the fact that there is good OEL manga out there. (i.e. MBQ, Aoi House, Megatokyo [If you still care that is],etc)
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I see people don't accept the fact that there is good OEL manga out there. (i.e. MBQ, Aoi House, Megatokyo [If you still care that is],etc)

That is very relative. Most people believe all three are mediocre.

Not saying that most Japanese manga isn't mediocre either, but it's not a valid argument to say "LOOK THERE STILL BE GOOD MANGA" and list off ones that aren't really critically acclaimed. That'd be like explaining that manga is art and can be deep, then pointing to One Piece.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
That's a bit overly critical. OEL manga is an offshoot, and often shunned as a result, product of an already niche product. Expecting it to be "critically acclaimed" is laughable at best and an unfair requirement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4