Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Color Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Arcwave



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Posts: 246
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
I now believe... Chatwin does Goku justice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tomibiki



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 819
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Dah man~...I dunno man..I dunno....MOVIE OF THE FREAKIN YEAR MAN!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BellosTheMighty



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 767
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Slow news day? When you'd rather look at the girl than Chatwin, you know this movie's gonna be a turkey.


Are you accusing DBZ fans of preferring studly young hunks to lovely ladies?

(I'm sorry, it's not my kind of joke, but he just walked right into it...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13767
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Slow news day? When you'd rather look at the girl than Chatwin, you know this movie's gonna be a turkey.


Are you accusing DBZ fans of preferring studly young hunks to lovely ladies?

"Homies before hoes" [/Boondocks] ? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dewlwieldthedarpachief



Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 751
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
^*Homies over hoes*

This should be...interesting...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SeinenAi



Joined: 30 Nov 2007
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh man this is gonna suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MelloHatesNear



Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 31
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It just struck me why Goku and Piccolo aren't Asian - they're both aliens.

That must be the casting's idea of showing them as foreign.

Good call on their part. It makes perfect sense to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Arcwave



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Posts: 246
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
It just struck me why Goku and Piccolo aren't Asian - they're both aliens.

That must be the casting's idea of showing them as foreign.

Good call on their part. It makes perfect sense to me.


Hmm... good point. I never thought of it in that way Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14499
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Dime-a-dozen idol singers and "nobodies" don't release 13 albums and 10 top 40 singles, and star in 9 films and 17 series.


Unfortunately for you, they do in Japan. They're considered commodities like Gundam, not celebrities.

Bellos:
Quote:
Are you accusing DBZ fans of preferring studly young hunks to lovely ladies?


Does Trunks count as a dude? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
The Xenos



Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 1517
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The boss at the website my blog is on actually flew to Mexico and visited the set. Sadly, he had to sign that he couldn't say anything on his website until a certain date. So I haven't heard anything yet and even if he does mention anything, I likely can't pass it on. On the bright side I did give him a list of questions myself and my friend who is a Dragonball fan compiled.

Mr. Toto wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Slow news day? When you'd rather look at the girl than Chatwin, you know this movie's gonna be a turkey.

Not really. Emmy Rossum is just one of those actresses that's too hot, so all attention immediately diverts to her.

Chatwin's pretty unkown in the US too. Really, is there anything wrong with that? Did you hear this bozo they cast as Superman? Christopher Reeve? No one's ever heard of him. It's never going to work. Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, Rossum was in Phantom of the Opera. That might have had a following in Japan. Then again, it was by Joel Schumacher, so I avoided it like the plague.

MelloHatesNear wrote:
It just struck me why Goku and Piccolo aren't Asian - they're both aliens.

That must be the casting's idea of showing them as foreign.

Good call on their part. It makes perfect sense to me.


Whoo. Thank you. Glad someone else has some reason to them. I'm sick of people complaining that Goku isn't Asian or, even worse, played by Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Jackie Chan is so old, he was referenced in some of Dragon Ball in a parody. My friend told me about a story where Master Roshi enters a contest named as Jackie Chun or something like that. He can still kick ass, no disrespect to him, but he's way too old for Goku.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
testorschoice



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 466
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Dime-a-dozen idol singers and "nobodies" don't release 13 albums and 10 top 40 singles, and star in 9 films and 17 series.


Unfortunately for you, they do in Japan. They're considered commodities like Gundam, not celebrities.


Watch Gatsu's goalposting shift:
"She's a nobody."
"Um, ok, she's dime-a-dozen."
"Um, ok, she's like Gundam, not a celebrity."

Again, why do you insist on belittling a respected singer and actress just to maintain the illusion that your point isn't wrong?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14499
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
"She's a nobody."
"Um, ok, she's dime-a-dozen."
"Um, ok, she's like Gundam, not a celebrity."


She's a nobody, because she's a dime-a-dozen, and therefore, not a celebrity. The Gundam argument was that she represents a brand, and is not a brand in herself. So, for example, if you were a writer for a Gundam anime series or manga spin-off, that in itself does not necessarily make you famous; it just gives you some credibility. Likewise, she's a singer who managed to sell the usual or more units of music her record company required of her, but she has yet to prove she can make it on her own name, and not because of overexposure. Hell, she's not even playing anyone significant in the movie, and she's supposed to be a selling point to the Japanese!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
testorschoice



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 466
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Likewise, she's a singer who managed to sell the usual or more units of music her record company required of her, but she has yet to prove she can make it on her own name, and not because of overexposure.


Isn't it funny that Gatsu thinks that someone who has released 13 albums and 10 top 40 singles and starred in 9 films and 17 series under her own name over the course of a decade..."has yet to prove she can make it on her own name"? Isn't it funny that Gatsu thinks "overexposure" is a sign that no one knows her?

Quote:
She's a nobody, because she's a dime-a-dozen, and therefore, not a celebrity.


Why are you still belittling Eriko Tamura, other than to pretend you're not wrong?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14499
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Isn't it funny that Gatsu thinks that someone who has released 13 albums and 10 top 40 singles and starred in 9 films and 17 series under her own name over the course of a decade..."has yet to prove she can make it on her own name"? Isn't it funny that Gatsu thinks "overexposure" is a sign that no one knows her?


*cough* American Idol singers and Jessica Alba *cough*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
testorschoice



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 466
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Isn't it funny that Gatsu thinks that someone who has released 13 albums and 10 top 40 singles and starred in 9 films and 17 series under her own name over the course of a decade..."has yet to prove she can make it on her own name"? Isn't it funny that Gatsu thinks "overexposure" is a sign that no one knows her?


*cough* American Idol singers and Jessica Alba *cough*


Isn't it funny how Gatsu is the only person who would compare Eriko Tamura to Jessica Alba? And even if that's the case, isn't it funny how Gatsu is implying that Jessica Alba is not a celebrity? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group