• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Well, despite its length, a lot of people like I said did enter the world of anime through the Dragon Ball series. So, that would easily push sales, along with the DBZ fans that roam around today.

I know exactly what you're talking about. DBZ has become almost like a measuring stick for long running shounen series. Comparison's to Naruto are incredibly common, and comparisons to other series' like One Piece, and Bleach, and others that fit this template of sorts, always get burned due to its similarities in the faults within DBZ.

Naruto is easily the new Dragon Ball Z, a lot of people are entering anime through it, a lot of people watch it, it has a bunch of filler, and repetition, it's incredibly popular, and as an added bonus the characters are quite possibly the most irritating collectively in all of anime. Not to mention, they both came out of Shonen Jump.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
ok maybe it's just my own bias, but i'm curious: what do people think is "Better" than Cowboy Bebop?
I'd easily put Fullmetal Alchemist ahead of Cowboy Bebop but aside from that, it's difficult to differientiate a clear opponent. That said, it's all a matter of opinion anyways. Some people don't appeal to Cowboy Bebop the same way as other series. Which is unfortunate of course that they're missing out on the big picture.

I think he meant in the same category. I think it's fair to say that there is no better noir/jazz/anime fusion anywhere.

Oh, well I totally agree then... is there even any valid competition in that catagory? Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if we're talking genre then Bebop is more or less by itself, it really doesn't have one per se. Which is true of many shows really.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
An anime that needed a sequel it will never get is fruits basket. I think a second series could have perhaps improved on some of the short comings of the later volumes of the manga. But the anime had a few plotholes with the manga and was written into a corner so a sequel was made kinda not possible Anime hyper!

I would say nodame cantabile, but now it will have one Anime hyper!

Id agree that DBZ is totally overrated, but i think it was because the original dragonball series was pretty good, and people got attached to the story and then it got really cumbersome and plain silly, but people still watched cause they loved what it had been. Just a guess Anime hyper!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
We probably could've made a Family Feud question out of the overrated answers.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
We probably could've made a Family Feud question out of the overrated answers.

I love that game! I would have enjoyed playing it.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Kind of like how Samurai Champloo is to hip hop what Cowboy Bebop is to Jazz right?

And as far as an anime series getting a sequel, there are a few that could use them, but at the same time, might not be needed.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a good example of one where after the movie, I was a little bit bummed, but at the same time, I felt satisfied with the ending. Only thing I'd have some questions about would be to kind of explain how things were in between the end of FMA TV and the beginning of FMA movie to show how things have gotten for the characters with their changes with spoiler[Ed disappearing into the other side of the gate to "our" world].

Another one that could have another sort of sequel, for me at least on this one, is Desert Punk or Sunabozu. spoiler[With Kanta himself changing sides, per se, and Kosuna becoming a bit more like him], I'd like to see how things occur as far as the supposed conflict that arises around the end of the series.

That's what I'm hoping for at least. Anime smile + sweatdrop
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I now predict that next week's will be a whole lot of people saying Berserk! The problem with making a second series for that of course is that well, there's no good stopping point for THAT either.

You so called me on that, but you know when it comes to Berserk I think I'm willing to go through that again just to experience the journey.

v1cious wrote:
ok maybe it's just my own bias, but i'm curious: what do people think is "Better" than Cowboy Bebop?

I think that's a good question, but it also begs the question "what is better?". Does anyone know what makes a show "good"? Is it entirely subjective or is there more to it?
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
GTO Neko wrote:
Kind of like how Samurai Champloo is to hip hop what Cowboy Bebop is to Jazz right?

And as far as an anime series getting a sequel, there are a few that could use them, but at the same time, might not be needed.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a good example of one where after the movie, I was a little bit bummed, but at the same time, I felt satisfied with the ending. Only thing I'd have some questions about would be to kind of explain how things were in between the end of FMA TV and the beginning of FMA movie to show how things have gotten for the characters with their changes with spoiler[Ed disappearing into the other side of the gate to "our" world].

Another one that could have another sort of sequel, for me at least on this one, is Desert Punk or Sunabozu. spoiler[With Kanta himself changing sides, per se, and Kosuna becoming a bit more like him], I'd like to see how things occur as far as the supposed conflict that arises around the end of the series.

That's what I'm hoping for at least. Anime smile + sweatdrop

It was shown within the movie. Not much really happened. Everyone kind of fell into a depression without Edward around. spoiler[Alphonse trained with Izumi, and Roy almost completely giving up on the use of alchemy.] I think a bit of perspective on how Alphonse's training could've provided some further non-direct insight on how the characters were holding up but for the most part I think it was well established in the movie.

- I'm all up for the Family Feud game Razz
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Anime I'd like to see have sequels/continuations:

Ouran HS Host Club
Fruits Basket (Yeah, I know thats never happening)
and Inuyasha... even though it went on forever, I really would like to see the rest of it animated.. or at least a proper ending given to it...
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:

It was shown within the movie. Not much really happened. Everyone kind of fell into a depression without Edward around. spoiler[Alphonse trained with Izumi, and Roy almost completely giving up on the use of alchemy.] I think a bit of perspective on how Alphonse's training could've provided some further non-direct insight on how the characters were holding up but for the most part I think it was well established in the movie.

- I'm all up for the Family Feud game Razz

They sort of did explain it yes, but at the same time, spoiler[they didn't really dwell much with Mustang on how bad it gotten to where he decided to drop the ranks he did and be out in "seclusion" as it were. Not to mention, how long did it take exactly for....Rosembool (sp?) to truly recover after the past altercations and the military getting more or less on their good side now.] That's kind of what I meant.

....I'd probably get some of the middle answers more than likely if I joined in on the "ANIME FEUD" game. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
There are definitely some flaws in the TV series such as spotty animation and a crappy ending. What makes Hellsing great though is style and atmosphere.

I'll agree about Bleach. I think I'm generally too old to enjoy most shounen anime. However, I can at least see what people like about DBZ or even Naruto. Bleach just seems pretty bland and unappealing.
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Bah. I was trying to go 3/3 with having my answer posted. Guess I'll be happy with my 2-1.

Here was my reply:

"First of all, I'd like to clear up all misconceptions of what the term "overrated" means in relation to your favorite anime. It does NOT mean "OMGZ UR ANIMIME IS STOOPID!!11 YOU BETTER BAKA-BAKA-BELIEVE IT!!!111". It DOES mean that perhaps it's undeserving of that creepy little love-shrine in your basement that you conveniently described to your mom as a "hobby".

Good anime is just as capable of being overrated as bad ones. Take Naruto. Personally I don't care much for it, but I'll admit it's a fun show. It wasn't the headbands and fanclubs and stinky transgender cosplayers that lead me to the belief that it was overrated (though they did put up a valiant effort). It was when a kid had a friend bury him in the sand to become a "sand ninja". Come on, people. Chances are if a show can inspire a child to be willingly buried head-first in the sand expecting to emerge victorious, the show is overrated. And apparently lethal. You heard me. NARUTO KILLS.

Point is, we're not bashing "TEH GREATEST SHOW EVARZ!!111". We're just saying that it indeed might not be "teh greatest show evarz!!111".

And you can quote me on that."
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime World Order wrote:
I now predict that next week's will be a whole lot of people saying Berserk! The problem with making a second series for that of course is that well, there's no good stopping point for THAT either.

It does deserve a sequel longer than the usual 13 or 26. Done right, it could last at least a good 50.

Or they could do like with Hellsing and restart it, following the manga exactly. That's probably the best option.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
Several anime that need sequels.

In no particular order.

1. Tokko. The ending of the first series was so...odd. The last five minutes of episdoe 13 seemed ready to dive into a new series, but nothing happened. Nothing was resolved.

What should happen? More fighting. A conculsion that doesn't end in a random earthquake.

2. Gunslinger Girl- they jsut need to rehaul the 2nd season. Completely. Or at least call the orginal art guys from the first season.

3. There should be a sequel to Pokemon thats not a spin off, in which we see an older Ash fight an actually dangerous Team Rocket. Pikachu is still around, though older and at a high level. People actually die in this new reality.

Team Rocket begins to hunt down experience trainers and force them into the ranks via torture or the loss of their loved ones. Ash loses his mind during the torture and becomes a slave to Team Rocket- to the point where he no longer remembers any of his past. None of the happy moments from his jounery, none of his family.

Its fuzzy in places and sounds like a horrible fanfic, but that forumla seems to have worked for a hueg chunk of anime out there. If Ben Tenesen can grow up, so can Ash. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7