• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
Everyone who said NGE is one of those "I hated Pokemon because it was popular" type people.

Honestly. The more you talk about it, the more it continues its successful career.
falloutgal

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Sequel?

Slam Dunk - the greatest lament of my childhood, why were the last 7/8 volumes of one of the greatest shounen manga ever (yes, I'm biased) not animated? When I was a kid everyone watched DBZ, Ranma, Sailormoon and Slam Dunk; whilst the other series got sequels ad infinitum all Slam Dunk got was a few add-on movies but never the proper ending it deserved. I never quite understood this as I believe it was hugely popular in Japan, both anime and manga, can someone please explain this to me??

Fruits Basket & Kare Kano - two of the best and most popular shoujo titles of the past decade, really, they deserve to get concluded (esp. poor KareKano, don't get me started on that lame last ep), we hardly get any decent shoujo anime around as it is.

Ookiku Furikabutte - too damn good, too damn short.
noblelement

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised to hear that so many people think Naruto is overrated. I agree, the sheer volume of fans, merch, episodes, chapters, etc, is getting a bit rediculous. That being said, I think the series itself isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's a hero's journey-slash-action anime, and you can't really expect every episode to have an awesome, driven plot and psychological thrilly-ness. Naruto does a good job showing off interesting characters, great battle scenes, and some nifty plot-twists every now and then. So what more can we ask of it?

Aside from eliminating the fillers?

And the weaboos?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
You know, every time I hear about people complaining about DragonBall Z, it's always about the long fights. Really, can you blame the show for not wanting to create outlandishely long filler archs? Toei didn't have many options, it was either make new filler archs, or, take those 14 pages of manga a week and draw out the fights for 22 minutes.

This leads into my series that needs a sequel, or rather, a remake, DragonBall/Z. The animation for its time was tremendous considering its length, but as we all know, the animation for the show was for the most part, not at fault. What was at fault was the drawn out fights, and the filler(although the TV specials did build a lot of character development, and were partially featured in Toriyama's manga, and there wasn't all that much "real" filler anyways). With the manga done for the past 13 years, and next year being the franchise's 25th Anniversary, as well as the launch of the Live Action Movie, and the Jump Special, maybe this will become a reality, as it certainly is probably the best time to launch a remake.

A series I believe deserves a sequel is Rave Master, the series finished in 2002, when the manga ended in 2005. Obviously, there is a lot of plot that wasn't covered. Not only that, it had one of those endings where nothing was resolved, so it seemed like it was going to continue on. It didn't.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
A series that I think deserves a sequel or even an OVA sequel is Girls High. I really didn't like how the show ended spoiler[ with it stopping with the girls being 2nd year high school student, it just seemed like an abrupt ending in my opinion ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
First off, I hate people who sit around wondering what show is overrated. I don't care about what a ton of people like or don't like. I don't live in a hive.

It does surprise me that people are anti Evangelion, even to this day. I wonder if people see it with 2008 eyes and don't think it's good because there are prettier, newer giant robot shows or psychodrama shows out there. I think that it has the perfect mix of drama and action.

DBZ is overrated. That's coming from a guy calling himself Yotaru Vegeta. It's a fun shounen show that's very macho and explody. That's it. It also has fun characters and it looked good for its time.. Besides that, there is little depth to it.

I think that when people have great interest in a series or movie, they tend to go overboard with praise and call something "the best ever." Just because a movie or show is satisfying does not mean it was well constructed and crafted.

Also, I think people tend to cal things overrated when they just mean that it's not a subgenre they like, or it's something they would not normally watch anyway. I think that people use overrated as a catchall negative term.

How can something be overrated when an opinion is a reaction from certain point of view? When people review and recommend things, they are seeing thing from their eyes, not yours. No one can judge your taste better than you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I'd have to nominate The Twelve Kingdoms as a series that really deserves a sequel.

Seconded. Considering that a sequel to Fruits Basket is pretty much impossible, Twelve Kingdoms is my number one choice. I would really love one more set to wrap things up.

My runner up would actually be Peacemaker. The series had flaws, but the last few episodes were just about perfection in my opinion. And as anyone familiar with what happened next historically knows, the climax of the series was just the tip of the iceberg of what happened to these people. If done right, a second set could be an epic bordering on masterpiece - if done right being the operative phrase.
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
In terms of sequel worthy titles, I demand more Kino no Tabi and JoJo's Bizzare Adventures both of which have ample ammounts of source material to work with. I'd kill to have a TV series for JoJo that starts with Phantom Blood and goes all the way to Steel Ball Run (Though Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable are the only arcs I'm really dying to see animated). But at the moment I'm probably better off just praying Phantom Blood ever sees a DVD release.

As for overrated shows I'm going to have to say Zeta Gundam. It has a weak beginning spoiler[Camille hijacks a Gundam and joins the rebelion because he's got issues with his parents and a soldier told him he has a girly name.] and a weaker ending spoiler["And then the protagonist got mind raped. The end." WTF kind of ending is that?].
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
As for overrated shows I'm going to have to say Zeta Gundam. It has a weak beginning spoiler[Camille hijacks a Gundam and joins the rebelion because he's got issues with his parents and a soldier told him he has a girly name.] and a weaker ending spoiler["And then the protagonist got mind raped. The end." WTF kind of ending is that?].

I respect your opinion as I do with everyone else's but I have to disagree with you on that one. There were other reasons why the main character did what he did spoiler[ He hated the Earth Federation and hated the Titans with all his heart, while he did have problems with his parents that wouldn't be a sole cause for him to do what he did.] That would sorta be like if spoiler[In the original series, Amuro takes the Gundam and defects to Zeon because he had problems with his dad. While Amuro has problems with his dad it doesn't cause him to defect to Zeon]

The ending for ZG I think does works fairly well. It's a good ending but the one for the movie is better spoiler[ Where Kamille is not in a vegetative state, which sets up the series to go right to Char's Counter Attack] if you look at it that way, as to the original ending spoiler[Which leads the way towards the semi-farce known as Double Zeta Gundam]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I respect your opinion as I do with everyone else's but I have to disagree with you on that one. There were other reasons why the main character did what he did spoiler[ He hated the Earth Federation and hated the Titans with all his heart, while he did have problems with his parents that wouldn't be a sole cause for him to do what he did.] That would sorta be like if spoiler[In the original series, Amuro takes the Gundam and defects to Zeon because he had problems with his dad. While Amuro has problems with his dad it doesn't cause him to defect to Zeon]

The ending for ZG I think does works fairly well. It's a good ending but the one for the movie is better spoiler[ Where Kamille is not in a vegetative state, which sets up the series to go right to Char's Counter Attack] if you look at it that way, as to the original ending spoiler[Which leads the way towards the semi-farce known as Double Zeta Gundam]

I won't argue your first point on the beginning. The ending however is indefensible. Considder for a moment how the story would stand were ZZ and CCA never produced. Without referencing any other Gundam series please tell me what happened after that battle. You can't. The series doesn't even bother to resolve it's conflicts. All we get is spoiler["A bunch of people die. Protagonist is a vegitable. Look the Hyaku Shiki's cockpit is open Char LIVES!"]
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:

The ending however is indefensible. Considder for a moment how the story would stand were ZZ and CCA never produced. Without referencing any other Gundam series please tell me what happened after that battle. You can't. The series doesn't even bother to resolve it's conflicts. All we get is spoiler["A bunch of people die. Protagonist is a vegitable. Look the Hyaku Shiki's cockpit is open Char LIVES!"]

Now if the TV show used the movie ending spoiler[ Kamille lives, does not become a vegetable, Axis leaves, and Titans are wiped out] it would work except that the only that would have to change is that spoiler[ The Hyaku Shiki cockpit scene would have to be removed other wise it would make it open ending and you wouldn't be able to explain what happened after it. I don't remember if that scene is in the movie or not]. Also spoiler[ Axis would have had to been wiped out with the colony laser along with the Titans to make it all work out.] If that did happened ZZ and CCA would never happen and you could jump right to F91 and you would know what happened before it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac, I hope the weather brightens up for you real soon mate. Now the series that I think needs a sequel really bad is Haibane Renmei spoiler[I want to see who breaks out of those twin cocoons, and follow Rakka to her Day-Of Flight and beyond the wall. ].
Another one that begs for a sequel too is Spiral for obvious reasons
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
In terms of sequel worthy titles, I demand more Kino no Tabi and JoJo's Bizzare Adventures both of which have ample ammounts of source material to work with. I'd kill to have a TV series for JoJo that starts with Phantom Blood and goes all the way to Steel Ball Run (Though Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable are the only arcs I'm really dying to see animated). But at the moment I'm probably better off just praying Phantom Blood ever sees a DVD release.

As for overrated shows I'm going to have to say Zeta Gundam. It has a weak beginning spoiler[Camille hijacks a Gundam and joins the rebelion because he's got issues with his parents and a soldier told him he has a girly name.] and a weaker ending spoiler["And then the protagonist got mind raped. The end." WTF
kind of ending is that?]

Holy crap!I agree with everything here.WTF Zeta?I went all fansub crazy with this one and it didn't live up to what I had heard *Deleted!*.I especially agree with a true JoJo series.Just tell me who I have to kill to make it so.OVA's don't do the series justice.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope the person that thought that Hellsing was overrated was refering to the TV show and not the OVA. I agree that the TV show has its share of problems, but for the most part, the OVA has fixed those problems. Seras is now the interesting and funny character that she was supposed to be, the action and gore are better than ever, and the plot has been returned to the storyline of the manga. While I can't argue that vampires shouldn't need guns, Alucard (in the OVA) for the most part abandons his gun once the fight gets going. As a Hellsing fan, I still enjoy the TV show, but the OVA is superior in almost every way.

As for anime that need sequels:

12 Kingdoms, Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
A series that I think deserves a sequel or even an OVA sequel is Girls High. I really didn't like how the show ended spoiler[ with it stopping with the girls being 2nd year high school student, it just seemed like an abrupt ending in my opinion ]

The (vastly superior) manga it's adapted from also ends spoiler[with the girls still at school]. I can't say it really bothered me - slice of life doesn't really call for a grand conclusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7