• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petran79

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
As for the term overrated, it also depends on the country and the decade you're referring. Many popular anime in Japan, Asia, Latin America and Europe are virtually unknown in the US and vice versa (though the latter to a less extent).

Now with fansubs and DVD releases this problem is solved.

Also a pity that Hokuto no Ken anime series were edited in the US or it would be a serious competitor for DBZ during that time. It was released in 1984, while DBZ in 1989.

A title is often overrated because a better alternative isnt promoted.
Shousetsuka

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised about Spirited Away. Then again, I study Japanese history and folklore, so I was having a ball saying, "Oh, so that's what that gold piece means! And the shrine!" I think it is one of his better works, other than Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I think it was a very good crossover movie; it could appeal to audiences that were not typically anime fans while still being a good movie for otaku. Most of the shows that we consider "good" these days don't have that same ability. And for the record, Disney only released Spirited Away in the States.

When it comes to overrated, I'd say Code Geass or Gundam Seed rank up there for me (Gundam more than Code Geass). Geass is a fun watch, don't get me wrong, but with all the hype I was expecting magic. I was in Japan when it was coming out and you couldn't turn around a bookstore without seeing something about it. Then the American fandom blew up on it too, so I figured Japanese and American fandoms couldn't be wrong. I'd watch it again, but it's no masterpiece. And Gundam Seed plays out like a revamping of the original Gundam. Only with boys who look like girls.
jco

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
"It obviously excels in areas such as visuals, originality, characters, etc, but in the end the storyline and plot is what truly matters."

Wow...Just yesterday my boyfriend and I were talking about this same issue and came to the exact opposite conclusion. The reasons I engage with arts & entertainment (I include in here everything from movies to books to videogames) include having the chance to feel and think in new ways, being transported. Things like complex characters, original worlds, and emotive visual storytelling are a huge part of what makes this happen for me. The plot really just exists as a gateway into the world of the piece; it gives the characters something to do and, hopefully, hi-lights them at the time(s) that allows us to get to know them best.

For this reason, and many others, Spirited Away was the most joyous movie going experience I had that year, and for several years thereafter...It just felt so fresh and alive that its supposed problems didn't register at all while I was in the theater.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The most overrated anime series is Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away." I use the rating system here at ANN and it's the ONLY one I have rated as "Weak" out of 130 finished series. It obviously excels in areas such as visuals, originality, characters, etc, but in the end the storyline and plot is what truly matters. In my opinion, it was just too childish and outlandish. I felt like it was 4 hours long and only finished it because of all the accolades it has received.

Whilst I don't think his anime are the most overrated (at least some credit is due to Ghibli's fecund imaginations and aesthetic variety), I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the belief that Miyazaki's works are too highly acclaimed. Disney's support has made it difficult to judge how much of his recognition is purely down to his ability.
On the whole, he has a strong tendancy to give his films happy (albeit not sugary) endings, something which begins to get tiring in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
On the whole, he has a strong tendancy to give his films happy (albeit not sugary) endings, something which begins to get tiring in my opinion.

Don't most family-friendly films, whether animated or live-action, have happy endings?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
At least they helps to balance out the "hey look everyone died and the planet was all but destroyed lol dystopia" ending that pops up across anime series like a bad case of crabgrass. Razz
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

*And really, I think a sizable percentage of cosplayers** of anything are obnoxious: "Hmm, I think I'll stand in this 4-foot-wide entryway that dozens/hundreds of people are trying to enter and leave through so I can get my picture taken because I'm an attention whore!"

You know what's worse than that? Posing for pictures at the top or bottom of an escalator. You know, where people can't just stop and wait for you to complete your pose because the floor is compelling them to move forward?
Heh heh, I don't remember seeing that over the weekend, but I'm sure it happened. I swear, I'm going to just start walking straight through impromptu photo posing at cons if they're in an inconvenient area. They inconvenience me, I inconvenience them.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
At least they helps to balance out the "hey look everyone died and the planet was all but destroyed lol dystopia" ending that pops up across anime series like a bad case of crabgrass. Razz

Yeah, the whole bad or "deep" endings is just as tiring, if not more so. Especially since I invest a lot of time in to watching a story unfold, why would I want to do that in order to see it all end like crap for the people I've invested all that time in watching? I'm not a sadist, and I don't buy in to the whole idea that it's somehow deeper as a result.

Besides, Miyazaki's endings are hardly all sunshine and rainbows. Yeah, in Nausicaa spoiler[she was able to stop the coming battle, but look at how many died and how many lives were lost before that happened]. Heck, in Princess Mononoke the spoiler[Forest Spirit is basically killed and the forest is reset back to seedlings, not to mention the humans aren't in good shape either].

I prefer things to end on the up and up frankly, but a positive ending doesn't need to be all smiles and happiness. It's possible to add depth to an ending and still make it a happy ending more or less. To me, it's all about how the story is told and how well the ending concludes the storyline. Happy or sad doesn't have that much bearing as both are great if the writing staff can tell it well. That said, I do prefer more positive endings as I've invested all that time in to the storyline and gotten to know and care about the characters, I'm not sadistic enough to necessarily enjoy watching it all end like crap for them when all is said and done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

Don't most family-friendly films, whether animated or live-action, have happy endings?

For real. And what's wrong with having a "happy ending"? It annoys me to no end how lately, having a happy ending on a movie, or a book, or a TV show, especially one that gives you actual CLOSURE (God forbid - I mean, it's just SO much more artistic to leave all kinds of things hanging) has become something negative in the film industry (and amongst movie snobs) these days. It's like it's not "art" if it doesn't depress you or leave you with a big WTF? Personally, I'M getting sick of the depressing!Non-Endings!

I may be labeled a pleb for saying this, but I don't want to pay to be depressed. Life sucks enough in reality without our "entertainment" sucking things up even more.
ojichan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree about Inuyasha needing to be finished (not just continued, it's starting to drag on like DBZ, et al.), but what I'd really like to see sequeled (with a real 22+ ep series) is the three ep. BusGamers. I think that has a lot of potential for character and situation development, and it's got a gajillion unanswered questions (on purpose, really.)
I would have said "Victorian Romance Emma" (great series!!!) but StudioP finally got around to finishing it enough.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hey Zac, I hope the weather brightens up for you real soon mate. Now the series that I think needs a sequel really bad is Haibane Renmei spoiler[I want to see who breaks out of those twin cocoons, and follow Rakka to her Day-Of Flight and beyond the wall. ].
Another one that begs for a sequel too is Spiral for obvious reasons

Hot damn! And here I thought that I was the only one who loved H.R.! Shocked
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
kitsunelady wrote:

For real. And what's wrong with having a "happy ending"? It annoys me to no end how lately, having a happy ending on a movie, or a book, or a TV show, especially one that gives you actual CLOSURE (God forbid - I mean, it's just SO much more artistic to leave all kinds of things hanging) has become something negative in the film industry (and amongst movie snobs) these days. It's like it's not "art" if it doesn't depress you or leave you with a big WTF? Personally, I'M getting sick of the depressing!Non-Endings!

I find that there is in potentially more closure if a character dies than if they are shown to be getting on with their lives- the audience needn't ponder over their future or their fate. Like you I dislike non-endings and didn't intend to suggest that ambiguity is necessarily more artistic.

Keonyn wrote:
I'm not sadistic enough to necessarily enjoy watching it all end like crap for them when all is said and done.

I don't enjoy a wholly bleak ending. If there's nothing positive to obtain from whatever tragedy occurs (A Dog of Flanders sounds like an example) I'll be hesitant to watch it. I apologise if I was accusing Miyazaki of eschewing bittersweet endings- as you mention a couple of them are somewhat dark in their conclusions, but then again some of them aren't.
Essentially, the reason I'll rate an ending which has more negative elemtents than positive is because my everyday life, although not that bad, doesn't evoke many strong emotional feelings. I might not be able to describe why (without using the "e" word) but I find that there is something refreshing about engaging with one's more sensitive side.
I'll enjoy a happy ending too, but normally on the proviso that it's a romantic one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Hot damn! And here I thought that I was the only one who loved H.R.! Shocked

From the ANN encyclopedia:

Seen in part or in whole by 3711 users, rank: #61
Median rating: Excellent
Arithmetic mean: Excellent
Weighted mean: Excellent
Bayesian estimate:Excellent

And there aren't many anime shows I can think of that got a better critical reception than Haibane Renmei:

Anime Jump! (Mike Toole) - 4 1/2 stars (out of 5)
Anime Meta-Review (Andrew Shelton) - exemplary
Anime News Network (Zac Bertschy) - A+
Anime on DVD (Chris Beveridge) - B+
Animefringe (Patrick King) - 95%
Animetric (Rowena Lim Lei) - 4 1/2 stars (out of 5)
DVD Talk (Don Houston) - 3 stars (out of 5)
DVD Verdict (Mike Pinsky) - 91 (out of 100)
Science Fiction Weekly (Tasha Robinson) - A
Sequential Tart (Sheena McNeil) - 9 (out of 10)
T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews (Diane Tiu) - 4 stars (out of 5)
The Anime Review (Jason Huff) - A+

Why would you think you were the only person who loved it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7