• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - May 17th - 23rd

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
Quote:
Lelouch takes a cue from Bruce Wayne and dons a masked persona with which to fight against the evil, nasty cracker-ass honkies from Britannia as "Zero."

Lelouch sounds more and more like Char. Someone explain to me how this isn't Mobile Suit Gundam minus those meddling kids and their White Base.

a lot of ways (I've never seen anyone compare the Original Gundam with Geass)

I get the feeling you've seen neither series or at most only one.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
OnanRulz wrote:
Quote:
Lelouch takes a cue from Bruce Wayne and dons a masked persona with which to fight against the evil, nasty cracker-ass honkies from Britannia as "Zero."

Lelouch sounds more and more like Char. Someone explain to me how this isn't Mobile Suit Gundam minus those meddling kids and their White Base.

a lot of ways (I've never seen anyone compare the Original Gundam with Geass)

I get the feeling you've seen neither series or at most only one.

I've never seen Geass, but I consider myself an expert in the MSG universe.

Both are Byronean heroes. Both are exiled nobility, men who should be (and become) leaders. Both don masks to carry out their revenge. Both insinuate themselves closely into the presence of the ruling family to execute them. Both carry out their plan not just for themselves but for their hidden sister. I could go on.

Is Lelouch's Knightframe three times faster than the average Knightframe?
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:

I've never seen Geass, but I consider myself an expert in the MSG universe.

Both are Byronean heroes. Both are exiled nobility, men who should be (and become) leaders. Both don masks to carry out their revenge. Both insinuate themselves closely into the presence of the ruling family to execute them. Both carry out their plan not just for themselves but for their hidden sister. I could go on.

Is Lelouch's Knightframe three times faster than the average Knightframe?

I think I should point out

-Lelouche isn't a great pilot and wasn't really in running to become the king (17th in line IIRC)

-Lelouch is after his father as opposed to char who's seeking revenge for his father

-Char works alone and doesn't lead in the same way Lelouche does
skyesage

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I just want to point out that, indeed, I did not see the grand conclusion of the Soul Society Arc last week because you said it was recap. Seriously???

God, I'm never trusting you again Smile.

Also, female reader Smile!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
A few people said he was mistaken in the comment thread last week. Razz
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
skyesage wrote:
I just want to point out that, indeed, I did not see the grand conclusion of the Soul Society Arc last week because you said it was recap. Seriously???

God, I'm never trusting you again Smile.

Also, female reader Smile!

honestly you didn't miss a whole lot

it was mainly the characters saying bye to each other etc. and then going home
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Eh, I didn't really like the English dub of Macross Plus too much. There were a few lines in particular that I thought were handled really badly. Also, I didn't know anything about the Macross universe, so a couple of plot points flew over my head. (Mainly the comments about Zantredi blood, or however you spell it.)

Still, compared to a lot of stuff Sci-Fi has shown, it wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it despite some of the issues I had with it.

could you give an example?

I though Pus had a great dub

lol, amusing typo there. Very Happy Anyways

spoiler[The most jarring example was near the end, when Guld thinks that he just killed Isamu, whom he believed raped Myung. But Guld realizes at that point that he was wrong, that he had lost it and raped Myung himself and later forgotten the whole thing, and that Isamu knew the truth the whole time but had never told him, and had let Guld go on hating him rather than confront him with the horrible facts of what really happened.

At that point, Guld is rather understandably depressed/horrified, and he talks to himself, asking "What have I done?" I just did NOT like the way the English voice acter handled this scene, I thought it detracted from it a fair amount and made what should have been a serious and horribly sad scene lose some of its impact ]

Sounds like a bad script to me.... </shrug>
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure I have one, maybe two female readers. Maybe.

I tend not to pay much attention to critics because their tastes & mine don't seem to intersect. I love Kyo Kara Maoh-pre-ordered every dvd until Geneon abandoned us gals. That & Saiyuki were almost always good for at least one very good laugh per dvd. I usually know I'm interested in a title before the run in Japan is over.

And guys here seem to assume guys are the only fans that count. I know many times people (guys?) blamed Geneon putting out titles appealing to gals as the reason the company went away when at least part of their vanishing was business dealings with the parent company

So we're here in decent numbers. Guys just don't seem to believe we exist

You're missing the best names in Death Note. Just check out Another Note. Beyond Birthday, was it? Backslash something? I forget now, but it was loads of fun coming across names in that one. Love L's real name. Light's name I believe it was mentioned in the character book was suggested by the editor-or maybe it was the Yagami part he suggested
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

And guys here seem to assume guys are the only fans that count. I know many times people (guys?) blamed Geneon putting out titles appealing to gals as the reason the company went away when at least part of their vanishing was business dealings with the parent company

So we're here in decent numbers. Guys just don't seem to believe we exist.

Nothing in particular with Geneon, but maybe due to "circumstancial surveys" that point out, per person, guys buy more anime DVDs than gals. They say guys have a more collector's mentality. That may not be true; gals just collect more manga instead. Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
No thanks to my good for nothing cable service provider, I missed all of the Adult Swim goodness as well as Naruto and Blue Dragon...

However...thanks to adultswim.com, I was able to catch what I missed. And YouTube as well. :3

Honestly that dub of Macross Plus is really average in my opinion. I wasn't keen on the protagonist either. Seemed too full of himself.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Honestly that dub of Macross Plus is really average in my opinion.

That can be a sign of progress. It was at least pretty good for its time. Now that people are seeing it as average may mean that more and more are surpassing it and continually raising the bar.

Probably the same for the dubs of El Hazard and You're Under Arrest. Many people, even a creator, preferred those over the originals.
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Hey Brian,

Paprika will be premiering on Canada's Super Channel on May 31 @ 9pm EST.
For those who living in the Western Canadian area, Shaw Cable now has Super Channel available to watch...and it's free too!

Unless it's some sort of free month preview...or something. Confused
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Nothing in particular with Geneon, but maybe due to "circumstancial surveys" that point out, per person, guys buy more anime DVDs than gals. They say guys have a more collector's mentality. That may not be true; gals just collect more manga instead. Laughing

Your mom didin't collect nic nacks? Granma didn't have any collections of this or that?
I know plenty of gals who collect stuff-more than guys in my life. It's more guys are seen as the collectors in the sci-fi/fantasy market-an attitude I've dealt with since I was a child & developed an interest in horror/fantasy (12 yr old girls weren't supposed to like vampire & ghost stories in 1972. We were supposed to read Harliquin Romances & buy make-up)
I sat at panel after panel a couple yrs ago at comic-con where Del Rey, Viz, everyone in manga said the female audience was a piece of the pie everyone was scrambling for (Del Rey was polite at first, but this one dud kept asking about guy fav title after guy fav title & the gal running the panel said the phenomenon in the business that year was gals buying manga & Del Rey wanted a piece of it). I've pointed this fact out here on these forums & been told by other posters they didn't believe gals were buying all that much manga (count the yaoi lately? someone's buying it)
The conventional wisdom in the American comics industry was teen girls & older didn't buy comics-they bought make-up & clothes, but when TP & others started bringing over manga, the gals bought it. This was fresh money, not DC trying to steal fans from Marvel as they've done for yrs.
Look at the bestsellers lists-Naruto & Bleach are titles I see a lot of gals into. THat's not just guys buying those books (I buy Bleach & have subscribed to Shonen Jump from the first American volume so I don't need to buy the graphic novels of Naruto. I also have all of DB/Z in graphic novel form). Fruits Basket is shojo. Loveless is shojo.
Guy fans of anime just don't seem to want to think about gal fans. Yeah, they want girlfriends, but how often do you see them trash female anime fans as squealing idiots drooling over Sesshomaru or Sasuke?

I happen to have about 2200 anime dvds in my collection (If I EVER get them looking decent, I plan on sending in photos, but that would require actually organizing them & not having dvds squeezed in here & there because I need to find the time to make room in the S's or the H's. I have boxed (in comic bags & into Right Stuff shipping boxes. A standard comic bag holds about 3 manga, but maybe 4 manwha depending on the title) about 300 manga & still my manga shelves look a mess (I did finally clean up the yaoi this weekend. I should take a picture because already stray volumes are appearing as I read them) I have a stack on the floor that is about up to my breasts of shonen/shojo stuff I need to make room for, but my teen's b/f borrowed all 21 Bleach volumes so I need to re-bag the older volumes (it really does keep them from yellowing) & re-stash them in their spot behind the manga (I use 6 ft tall Ikea bookshelves-6 so far-which are deep enough to go 2 rows of manga on so I can put the bagged stuff behind & the "current" stuff in front) The manga is about 2100 volumes
And about 150 art books. Plus the Japanese manga magazines I've been picking up for a year now (many of those need ot go into a magazine-sized collection bag)

But girls aren't collectors.
Right
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2