• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudeinthewater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, with the current technology, I wish Square would go back and redo the game Confused . Its by far, THE best Final Fantasy game ever; I mean, what can they lose? I'd play the game over and over again (as i did with FF7).
Instead, they're doing a sequal in a form of a CG movie. I love CG animations like what you see in FF:Spirit Within, but im rather skeptical with square's decision to do this, considering what happened to FF:SW. Other than that point, I'm Just not a big fan of making sequals (movie or game) for a really classic game like FF7 (like making a sequal of Cowboy Bebop etc.). I doubt they will have the content to push the already-finished story further, and besides, the characters will do better in the game. I predict this movie will flop if it comes out in the States (but I'll definitely still go see it Wink )
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's coming to US theatres. Last I checked, it was direct-to-video and under the minimum feature film running time of 90 minutes.

As far as the trailer goes, it was good. The animation was excellent and the fights were pretty impressive. However, not being a Final Fantasy fan, I can't really bring myself to appreciate much beyond the aesthetics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:01 am Reply with quote
Things, I don't want to see in the movie:
Chocobos mating to produce the ultimate gold Chocobo... hmm nevermind Shocked .
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:04 am Reply with quote
dudeinthewater wrote:
Its by far, THE best Final Fantasy game ever; I mean, what can they lose? I'd play the game over and over again (as i did with FF7).

.... Naaaaaaaaaaaah. FF7 I suppose is up there, but I believe there are at least 3 other FF games that are 100 times better then 7. They had great, detailed stories, great characters, and so on. FF7 lacked greatly in both story and characters.

Twisted Evil
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:53 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
there are at least 3 other FF games that are 100 times better then 7. They had great, detailed stories, great characters, and so on. FF7 lacked greatly in both story and characters.

That is a huge overstatment. FF7 had great story and characters (they were at least good enough for peope not to say that the game was lacking in the). But that's just my opinion. And let's not go into the whole "the best FF7 game" thing because very quickly someone will say that Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever Wink .
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:43 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
That is a huge overstatment. FF7 had great story and characters (they were at least good enough for peope not to say that the game was lacking in the). But that's just my opinion. And let's not go into the whole "the best FF7 game" thing because very quickly someone will say that Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever Wink .

Compares to FF6, FFT, FF8, and FF9, the characters in FF7 were lacking big time. Only one I cared about was Areith, and she died on the first disc. Everyone else... meh. I just continued playing because it was fun, but nothing really intrested me. Not the best FF game, and DEFINATLY not the best RPG.

Lucca, Schala, Kid, and Harley = Best female RPG characters EVER Wink And don't get me started on Yasunori Mitsuda. *_* He is my videogame music god.
dudeinthewater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:56 am Reply with quote
FF7 rules Cool

by the way littlegreenwolf, is that a picture of Rukia? (Bleach)
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:22 am Reply with quote
dudeinthewater wrote:
by the way littlegreenwolf, is that a picture of Rukia? (Bleach)

Anime smallmouth Yep.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:28 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Compares to FF6, FFT, FF8, and FF9, the characters in FF7 were lacking big time. Only one I cared about was Areith, and she died on the first disc. Everyone else... meh. I just continued playing because it was fun, but nothing really intrested me. Not the best FF game, and DEFINATLY not the best RPG.

How so - all of the playable characters in FFVII were given a back story if you paid attention, and everything wrapped up quite nicely in that department. The story was quite well written with few plot holes when under the microscope - unlike FFVIII spoiler[all of the main characters just 'forgot' that they all lived together as children, give me a break].

I'll be the first one to agree that FFVII is by no means The Best RPG Ever nor The Best Final Fantasy Game Ever, but the jury is still out on what exactly is the best in both departments (I still think that Tales of Phantasia is up there with the other best RGP's). However, anyone that has played the game will admit that it was one of the most successful games ever made (Definitely at least in the Play Station department) - heck the are still selling it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I like RPGs with lots of characters, so I'd have to say FF6 is my favorite. 7's OK, probably 3rd or 4th favorite.

Tactics is #2, again, I like LOTS of characters, which is why Genso Suikoden is my favorite RPG series (although 3 wasn't that great..., but nonetheless, it had a bit of nostalgia to it).
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone brings up FF7 as "best ever" because if you think about it, this is THE game that jump started the RPG market in America. I remember when this game came out, all the TV and magazine ads sported the CG scenes and probably caught a lot people's attention. It got a lot of people interested in the Playstation as well. I know this game got me to want to know what the other six games before it were like, as well as other games like it.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
My favorite FF is 4. Anyway I liked the subbed trailer. I hope all the alive characters from the game's ending have a cast part in this CG movie. I haven't seen Red13(Nanaki), Yuffie Kisargi, Cid,Cat Sith,or Tifa in the trailers yet and I hope they appear by the next one. My least favorite character in FF7 is Cat Sith and Cid needs some anger mangement....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
I think everyone brings up FF7 as "best ever" because if you think about it, this is THE game that jump started the RPG market in America. I remember when this game came out, all the TV and magazine ads sported the CG scenes and probably caught a lot people's attention. It got a lot of people interested in the Playstation as well. I know this game got me to want to know what the other six games before it were like, as well as other games like it.

I wouldn't say FF7 "jump started the RPG market in America." Sure, it probably made RPGs mainstream enough to general gamers or to anyone interested in a Playstation, but plenty of people were playing RPGs prior to that.

The only reason it may have been even considered a "jump starter" was because it was CG. Personally, there are more 2D RPGs that I like more when compared to 7's 3D and CG (Chrono Trigger being my favorite).

And prior to 7, only 3 or 4 of them were actually out in the U.S. at the time, not 6. I think 1, 2, 3/6, and Mystic Quest, which I don't think is really a part of the other 3, were the only ones out back then.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm inclined to agree with Tony on this one... jump starting and mainstreaming are clearly two different things.

I had played several of the FF games prior, not to mention Chrono Trigger and the Dragon Warrior games, etc. RPG's have been around for a long time in the U.S.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2