• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Listed on America's Sci Fi Channel on July 28

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcwave

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I'll know what I'll be watching now Cool
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Sweetness! I sure hope they follow through.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
And all was right with the world.

Well, the US anyway.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
As noted here, there's a lot that doesn't make sense about this placement, not least of which the fact that the series won't be anywhere close to finished being dubbed by that time. Besides that, the scheduling for that night adds up to well over the two hours which is allocated to it; it has the two-hour Black Jack movie (which is airing the week before) in a one-hour timeslot. I'd hesitate for a little while before starting to jump for joy.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Why does giapet get credit when I posted about this on the ANN board yesterday before anyone else was even talking about it?

I even posted everything that was HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS about the schedule listing which giapet and ANN failed to mention...

Anyway, I really don't want Gurren on Sci Fi. Sci Fi edits show content out of their anime, and Gurren episodes are about two and a half minutes too long for Sci Fi's runtime (and some episodes, like episode 1, are nearly 4 minutes too long). I really don't want to have to watch another really great series be edited like crazy the way Noein was.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
now i know not to watch sci fi that night, ty
Primus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Like what was said in the thread in Anime boards here, I'd have to believe this was a deal set by ADV, before their license was revoked/removed/whatever happened, because SciFi wouldn't air subs, as their channel seems too mainstream(as mainstream as a Science Fiction channel, that is) to do that. As that would be the only option, as there would be almost no way for Bandai to have a dub ready and set for July when they got the show only last month.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Like what was said in the thread in Anime boards here, I'd have to believe this was a deal set by ADV, before their license was revoked/removed/whatever happened, because SciFi wouldn't air subs, as their channel seems too mainstream(as mainstream as a Science Fiction channel, that is) to do that. As that would be the only option, as there would be almost no way for Bandai to have a dub ready and set for July when they got the show only last month.
While I do agree it's pretty unusual, Sci Fi has aired subs (of a sort) before in the form of Blood: The Last Vampire. Of course, that's mainly because there was no choice in the matter and the thing is half in Japanese and half in English already, but still, at least some of it was subbed.

Still doesn't seem like something that's normal for them. Then again, airing late night anime at all wasn't normal for them either...

EDIT: Oh, and thanks to whoever added the credit to the article. I wasn't really totally serious about it so much as I just thought it odd, but I appreciate it. Smile
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
way to go sci-fi bet adult swim in anime
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Why does giapet get credit when I posted about this on the ANN board yesterday before anyone else was even talking about it?

Metatron, from what I understand it's not a matter of who posts first, but who alerts the news section first. They're not putting up articles based on skimming through posts, but rather based on having links to creditable sources for newsworthy items sent to them. I'm guessing it was giapet rather than you who first technically brought the schedule to the news room's attention.

As for the editing - wow. I've seen some haze disrupting physical details of nude characters on Sci-fi's anime once in a while, but never read anything indicating that shows have been edited for either time or content to the point of it not being worth watching them.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
As for the editing - wow. I've seen some haze disrupting physical details of nude characters on Sci-fi's anime once in a while, but never read anything indicating that shows have been edited for either time or content to the point of it not being worth watching them.

Oh yeah. When you go through and add up the time edits for each episode of Noein, you wind up with what has to be a good two minutes or so missing per episode. Now granted, most of the time, what was edited out wasn't absolutely plot-crucial material, but it did excise a lot of character development and action scenes, and there were several occasions I can remember where what was removed made what happened later on much more difficult to understand. I'd suspect that this occurred with other series/movies that Sci-Fi has shown (and I know it's the case for the Street Fighter movie), but I don't have any definitive proof. I'm going to agree with Meta and hope that this really is all just a big misunderstanding. If Sci-Fi can't even manage to show the full episode content of what it's airing, then it shouldn't be airing series in the first place.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
There were plenty of times in Noein where they didn't even TRY to hide the time edits too. There were a few times where the show would come back from a commercial with a character in mid-sentence already, and at least once or twice they actually began the episode in the middle of a conversation. After the first episode I got into a habit of running my subbed version of the episode alongside the broadcast, skipping ahead when i needed to because Sci Fi removed a scene or cut a scene short. Very Happy

On the plus side, normal Gurren episodes are about 30 seconds shorter than Noein episodes, so at least they wouldn't have to cut quite as much. It's still about 2 and a half minutes over time, though, and even if you factor in them slightly shortening the ED and removing the next episode preview (since both would be pretty standard for Sci Fi), you're still at about 2 minutes over length. And that doesn't count episodes like episode 1, which clocks in at nearly 26 minutes (a good 4 minutes over length).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think you guys are exaggerating. I watched Noein on Sci-Fi and I watched the DVDs, there were some edits but on the other hand, unlike the [adult swim] run of Eureka 7, when the last episode's credits had extra content, they showed it instead of the usual compression. What material was cut was minimal, like cutting the scene of Haruka in her bath tub down a little. More censoring happened with Tokko's run, which handled some hefty nudity moments mainly by cropping the shot or a little blurring. (The DVDs are, of course, quite free from such minor censoring.)

I haven't seen Gurren Lagann but from what I've read the content might be a tad more problematic than Noein but I doubt it's quite as bad as Tokko what with Kureha and her casual nudity.

Regardless of how Sci-Fi might censor it or edit it, who else might show this series? [adult swim] is currently full, IFC seems to deal almost exclusively with Funimation and that's pretty much it for major TV providers for anime in the US.

In all honesty, we should probably expect a delay regardless since Bandai probably isn't that far on the English dub yet and Sci-Fi might be unwilling to air it subbed. (Of course, maybe they've got at least the first few episodes dubbed, they did say they're working on an accelerated rate.)

If nothing else, this is a very good sign that Sci-Fi is reaching beyond the Manga/Starz titles and will be airing more anime from more companies in the near future. Possibly starting with ADV series (since this deal was likely decided back when they had Gurren) but surely we'll see more series popping up period. Getting the more niche series on TV would be a great way to promote good series that might not be big sellers and increase profits overall.

And regardless of broadcast edits, more anime on TV in the US is a very good thing in my opinion. (Heck, it's not like the Japanese never edit a broadcast or cut stuff out. We've had a few news articles specifically about that.) Broadcast edits aren't going to kill you or make the show unwatchable.

I mean, it's not like we're talking about a Cardcaptors-level editing job here.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I think you guys are exaggerating. I watched Noein on Sci-Fi and I watched the DVDs, there were some edits but on the other hand, unlike the [adult swim] run of Eureka 7, when the last episode's credits had extra content, they showed it instead of the usual compression.
Sure, they showed the extra bit at the end...at the extent of editing content out earlier on in the episode. As for the Eureka thing, that was a major mistake on [adult swim]'s part, one that they profusely apologized for and even changed their schedule to fix. It's certainly not standard operating policy the way it is at Sci Fi.

That said, I didn't mean to make it seem like it was some massive hack job or something that they were doing to make the show unwatchable or anything like that, because that it certainly is not. It's an annoyance and an affront to the artistic integrity of the original work (assuming it had integrity in the first place, which seems unlikely in the case of some of the things Sci Fi has aired Very Happy ), but it's not normally some devestating butchery.

That said, I do think Gurren episode 6 ought to be quite the train wreck of editing, especially if they try to air the DVD version. Very Happy
Roy9076

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh sweet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3