• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Listed on America's Sci Fi Channel on July 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
It awesome news here. I hope the edit wont be to harsh. Besides it going to be shown late a night. 6 might be in full view!
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't watch it on Sci-Fi anyway. Not out of spite for the channel or anything, I just never watch Sci-Fi, and as a result I'd never remember it was on.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
And all was right with the world.

Well, the US anyway.

Just as planned.

Living outside of North America, though, I really have little idea of how the Sci-Fi Channel works. Nonetheless, I'd be interested to hear how TTGL gets handled, what with it likely airing subbed and the potential for edits. I may have watched the fansubs, but I'd still love to see it on TV.

Now I'll just go back to waiting for the 2009 DVD release...
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Well from the points some of you guys are making, it sounds to me like I shouldn't curse the skies for not having Sci-Fi just yet. Anime smile + sweatdrop But even still, as Richard said, I don't think there's anyone else who could run it right now, so it may very well end up on there eventually anyways. Sad

Whatever the case though, it's definitley a good sign that Sci-Fi is starting to expand their options on anime they air. Very Happy In the meantime, somehow, someday though, preferably before Gurren Laggan ever airs, I just hope we get Sci-Fi eventually........
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
It awesome news here. I hope the edit wont be to harsh. Besides it going to be shown late a night. 6 might be in full view!

Ok, I think I'm missing something here. I saw this in fansubs, and if episode 6 is the one that I'm thinking of then I don't really see a problem. I understand that everybody gets naked, but (IIRC) they're always covered up to the audience, unless things were edited out of the subs I saw. Actors and actresses are constantly naked on American TV in that manner.
tohu
Banned User

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely a breakthrough, I'm so happy that we now have a real alterlative to enjoy anime beside the Cartoon Network. Memo to Cartoon Network: start sweating.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Ok, I think I'm missing something here. I saw this in fansubs, and if episode 6 is the one that I'm thinking of then I don't really see a problem. I understand that everybody gets naked, but (IIRC) they're always covered up to the audience, unless things were edited out of the subs I saw. Actors and actresses are constantly naked on American TV in that manner.

Sci-Fi doesn't cut scenes out. They just blur.

Sci-Fi's edits are NOT as bad as Adult Swim's, plain and simple. They're there, but they're not as strict.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Sci-Fi's edits are NOT as bad as Adult Swim's, plain and simple. They're there, but they're not as strict.

Ok, but my point was: "Is there even anything to edit, I do not remember any bare breasts."
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
WHOAH.... WHAT? Shocked

i thought they had no dub.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
@ DerekTheRed: The rules are sometimes different for animated series, simply because people are hard-wired to think everything animated if for kids. (Which can lead to amusing discoveries of hentai in the kids section.)

Also, the Powers That Be who govern editing decisions seem to be overly cautious about nudity and sexual material when it comes to TV. But a little blurring isn't really that bad. (Again, the Japanese TV broadcasts for shows can be censored too. In fact, I think Gurren was censored for broadcast given an earlier poster talking about the DVD version.)

Maybe I'm just a lot more tolerant of all of this since I'll just buy the series if I like it anyway but I just don't think Sci-Fi's editing is enough to get worked up over. It's much less an some I've seen. I'd rather it be zero like IFC but clearly they're more cautious at Sci-Fi and more intent on the all-mighty advertising dollar. I doubt [adult swim] would even consider running the series.

Heck, I'm just glad that Sci-Fi wants to run more anime. Given the market downturn, the ratings for what they've shown could have been so bad that they dropped the slot completely. Having them planning to show something like this is a good sign I think. (And please, don't correct me if I'm wrong, let me pretend that there are signs of things getting better.)

By the way, is it possible that the show might air with the ADV dub?
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

This is factually false, as thoroughly detailed on page 1. Unless you're talking solely about nudity, in which case, no, they don't tend to remove scenes solely because there are naked people in them. They just blur them a lot.

That said, Adult Swim doesn't cut scenes out because people are naked in them either. Adult Swim also does not edit out 1 to 3 minutes of other miscellaneous in-show content per episode from its shows. Sci Fi does. That's factual reality. You can make of that what you will.

Also, Sci Fi's nudity editing is decidedly more strict than Adult Swim's (though they're both certainly sticklers about such things). Sci Fi uses such larger blurs, and they even blur on merely suggested nudity or nude backsides. Compare that to Adult Swim, which had a Geass episode a week ago with a small amount of nipple blur and a completely bare and uncensored butt, not to mention what they manage to let Shin Chan get away with on a weekly basis. Hell, Adult Swim runs a show about a talking ass.

Adult Swim has been historically a bit more squeamish on violence, but even then the last time they had a violence edit was on Eureka seveN episode 20, which was nearly 2 years ago. Since then they've had far worse violence than what they edited on Eureka and let it slide. So I'd say the two networks are about even there these days, with maybe Sci Fi being ever so slightly more tolerant. And on language, well, they're both about even on language censoring.

So really, the idea that Sci Fi does "less editing" is pretty darn laughable and is definitely not based on anything that resembles objective reality.

Jeez, I'm really making it sound like Sci Fi are absolutely terrible and miserable and blah blah blah. I do watch Ani-Mondays on a more or less weekly basis, mainly because I know they're either going to be showing something really good or they're going to be showing something really hilariously bad. Very Happy

They're also certainly the second best source of anime there is on basic cable, and really the more competition and outlets there are for anime on TV, the better. So I don't want this to sound like some big Sci Fi bash fest. Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
The more anime on TV, the better for us. I can live with edits if I have too.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Sci Fi actually does show more shows that contain nudity than Adult Swim. How so? Well Adult Swim doesn't consider airing shows that have too much fanservice in them to begin with. So while Sci Fi blurs more content Adult Swim never had the content on their channel to begin with. Also, if a show is Comedy, they'll air more sexual content verse a non comedic Anime. That's why you see so much more sexual content in ATHF, A**y McGee, and Shin Chan. All of these shows are considered Adult Swim Comedy even though technically Shin Chan is Anime.

IMO, Gurren Lagaan would have never aired on Adult Swim. They're S&P (Standards and Practices - the channel censors) would not have allowed it so I doubt AS even considered picking the show up. Sci Fi, on the other hand, will pick stuff up like this and even live action shows like Lexx but then blur it to death. Neither channel is going to win a award here for showing sexual content. I will say that AS does a better job with blurring Anime than Sci Fi but that may have to do with Adult Swim having access to blur things via Cartoon Network (i.e. they do in house editing and thus have the equipment) where Sci Fi may be outsourcing to someone(s) else.

That said, Sci Fi edits for time like nobody's business and I had a chuckle at the poster who thought otherwise. They time edit with their live action shows as well (almost 10 minutes is missing from most Doctor Who eps they've been airing). Sci Fi still isn't quite as bad as G4TechTV was but they aren't as good as Adult Swim is. Still, Adult Swim also edits for time if need be. Why do you think they NarutoViz Bleach's end credits? Why do you think they ran the ED's for Cowboy Bebop and Big O at a higher speed? Why do you think they chopped the OPs for InuYasha? TIME - they needed more commercial space and something had to be chopped. It's hard to tell if if or how AS is cutting for time within episode content but I think they do it as well - they just don't seem to do it as much or they are simply better than most doing it (they also may be using time compression software which Sci Fi seems not to mess with when it comes to the Anime).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone's denying that [as] will cut down OPs/EDs to save time when necessary, but I also think that just about anyone would agree that doing so is infinitely more preferable than cutting out actual episode content. OPs and EDs generally don't contain any plot-related content, and once you've seen one once, you're good for the whole series.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
WHOAH.... WHAT? Shocked

i thought they had no dub.

Exactly what I was thinking. Does this mean it will air subbed?

The sub-only DVDs will be released about the same time the show will be airing on Sci-Fi, while the DVDs with dub tracks on them won't be out until next year.

If it's subbed on Sci-Fi, though...That would be pretty sweet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3