• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Listed on America's Sci Fi Channel on July 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Sci-Fi doesn't cut scenes out. They just blur.

Sci-Fi's edits are NOT as bad as Adult Swim's, plain and simple. They're there, but they're not as strict.

Ok, but my point was: "Is there even anything to edit, I do not remember any bare breasts."

I don't remember blurring,but I do remember pan and scan edits in like Green Legend Ran.They would zoom up on the face,dodging any objectionable content.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
But Green Legend Ran was on a Saturday morning. This is late at night on a schoolnight, except I guess there's no school around that time of the year, but still, it's late. The best we can hope for with editing is blurring, as that does the least amount of damage, like they did for Code Geass on adult swim.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
WHOAH.... WHAT? Shocked

i thought they had no dub.

Exactly what I was thinking. Does this mean it will air subbed?

The sub-only DVDs will be released about the same time the show will be airing on Sci-Fi, while the DVDs with dub tracks on them won't be out until next year.

If it's subbed on Sci-Fi, though...That would be pretty sweet.

It has been mentioned that they are going to make a dub for it and they are going to accelerate the pace to make the dub.

As for Adult Swim's editing practices vs. Sci-Fi's, they are about even, except that AS lets a little bit more in. But both are good at leaving things in.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe people are bitching about free anime on TV. Yes I would rather see it uneditted on IFC or Starz but I still get to see it for free.
As far as editting on [as] vs. Scifi. I don't know about content but as far as edits for time go. [as] episodes are about 22:30 and Scifi episodes are about 22:00 so Scifi episodes are about 30 seconds shorter than [as] episodes.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
C'mon YTV airing, Canada wants its Gurren-Lagann.
emory

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Sci-Fi doesn't cut scenes out. They just blur.

Sci-Fi's edits are NOT as bad as Adult Swim's, plain and simple. They're there, but they're not as strict.

Not as strict? Are you nuts? Sci Fi is very strict. They allow very violent scenes but they'll blur our a woman's rear end in the Ghost in the Shell series which Adult Swim doesn't blur. Worst of all is the language. Sexual words like boner and hard-on get muted and sometimes they'll mute out entire sentences that were never really offensive at least not for the 14 TV rating they give.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
C'mon YTV airing, Canada wants its Gurren-Lagann.

Damn right we do. I'll be seriously pissed if they go for Code Geass over this in the fall. :-O
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

That said, I do think Gurren episode 6 ought to be quite the train wreck of editing, especially if they try to air the DVD version. Very Happy

They can just air the Japanese TV version since R1 DVDs also have access to this version IIRC.
Kriffix

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
now i know not to watch sci fi that night, ty

Lol I pity you, you sad deprived human. :p
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The dubbing either has JUST started or hasn't yet started. Brett Weaver, who was cast by ADV for the role of Kamina, auditioned for Bang Zoom for the same role. He just heard from Bang Zoom on (or just before) May 19th that they went with someone else.

I have no idea what other roles have yet to be cast as well. I doubt a dub will be ready to hand over to SciFi early enough that they can do their edits in time for airing on July 28.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3