• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BEI's Yoshida: Gurren Lagann TV Plans Not Finalized

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:

Anyway, that shouldn't really be any different from the seiyuu. Do you really think they all use their normal voices?

No, I don't believe that they use their real voices. But unlike Dub actors they are given very loose guidelines compared because no one else has set the bar for characters. Unlike dub actors who've already had a bar due to the nature of anime. And as a dub actor you can't really express yourself or ad-lip(not saying the Japanese are allowed to do that either). Heck, Gary Chalk(voice actor for various incarnations of Optimus Prime) said once in an interview that he hated doing dubs compared to a new production because he wasn't really able to act due to constraints(mouth flaps, trying to immitate etc.). So it is harder for the dub actors. And because of this I fear this show may have multiple actors on the same roles(I've seen it before).
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Also confirmation that they ARE trying to get the dub ready to air in July. Frankly, that surprises me, since it kind of makes the sub only DVDs that they were in such a hurry to release seem really unnecessary and undesirable now. It's also a really fast pace to do a dub, but I guess if FUNi can dub One Piece at the rate they're going, Bang Zoom can crank it out too.

You know what I think happened MetatronM? I think this deal came up really sudden - after they had the sub only set in the works. At that point Bandai had a option - just go with Plan A or B, make the deal with Sci Fi and increase the sales on both DVD sets and probably some nice commercial time for other shows (seeing Manga gets that perk) and Bandai decided to go with B Very Happy .

While the ink isn't quite down on paper yet I take it Sci Fi thinks it is going to all work out, which is why they posted it on the schedule bot. This is sadly more of a problem for Japan than for Sci Fi. The Japanese probably aren't happy about this and I hope this doesn't mess up the deal. That said, Sci Fi is part of NBC Universal and that is big time cache worldwide. Hopefully the idea they're going to be on a channel run by a major movie studio and U.S. Broadcast Network is enough to make things OK in Japan Confused .
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Well, there's no reason to think they aren't already working on the dub. The article states they will have two eps ready for each week. It doesn't mean they're going to wait until July to start recording.

This also raises another question. If the dub is done, why wait until 2009 to sell the DVDs with the dub?

As touched upon earlier in this thread, Bandai may be re-thinking their release plans.

Maybe.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'm not really concerned about stress on the actors. Consider that Naruto ran non-stop with only occasional short breaks (often made up for with new episode marathons)for a little over two years only to increase to two episodes per week as of November '07. And that's with indemand actors like Yuri Lowenthal, Dave Wittenberg, and Steven Blum taking part in most episodes. If anything I think it would lend to more natural voices as the actors would be able adapt to their role's quicker without any "rust" waiting for the next recording session.

I'm hopeful that speeding up the dub for TV also means speeding up the Dub release, at least to winter '08.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm not really concerned about stress on the actors. Consider that Naruto ran non-stop with only occasional short breaks (often made up for with new episode marathons)for a little over two years only to increase to two episodes per week as of November '07. And that's with indemand actors like Yuri Lowenthal, Dave Wittenberg, and Steven Blum taking part in most episodes. If anything I think it would lend to more natural voices as the actors would be able adapt to their role's quicker without any "rust" waiting for the next recording session.

I'm hopeful that speeding up the dub for TV also means speeding up the Dub release, at least to winter '08.

Emerje

i suspect they have already started. after all, they have a cast. a month should be plenty of time to knock out a couple episodes.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
I've seen interviews with dub actors before, and they say they usually have a several hour recording session when they record lines. However many episodes you can get through in that amount of time, so be it. The only thing here is getting them into the studio more often, pretty much forcing people to put it on their schedule, rather than waiting around for it to work out for everyone.

And as for waiting on the bilingual discs until next year, it gives them more time to get extras together, possibly make BD releases to coincide with the DVD release as well. I know this is one series I'd definitely double-dip for, doubly so if the second helping was Hi-Def! Anime hyper
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i suspect they have already started. after all, they have a cast. a month should be plenty of time to knock out a couple episodes.

Oops. Yeah, I considered that based on daedelus' post, but forgot to add that... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Ugh, LA again Bandai? Sheesh, I would've preferred Ocean over the overused crew at Bang Zoom.

+1

Not saying the folks at Bang Zoom are bad or anything, but I'm just tired of hearing the same voices over and over again. IMO Ocean seems to have a deeper pool of voice talent, and doesn't just sound like the same thing over and over again.

Primus wrote:
Two episodes a week is stupid. I really hope that TV deal isn't the cause for it(although it most likely is) as rush jobs never lead to anything good.

A rush dub makes me nervouse too...

A show of hands, who remembers what happenned to Jessica Calvello when ADV was coaxed into rushing the Excel Saga dub? Right, she wrecked her vocal chords and Excel had to be recast half way though the series.
Belgand

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
While I'm glad to have it on Sci-Fi I really wish they'd just put it on subbed. Going sub only would not only allow us to get our shows sooner, but would reduce costs for studios meaning they'd have more cash free to bring over a wider variety of shows.

I still can't believe that American TV seems to insist on running the dub every single time. I want to watch subs, but well... the dub is coming out faster on TV usually and it's much more convenient to just Tivo it than rent the discs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Belgand wrote:
While I'm glad to have it on Sci-Fi I really wish they'd just put it on subbed. Going sub only would not only allow us to get our shows sooner, but would reduce costs for studios meaning they'd have more cash free to bring over a wider variety of shows.

It's not in Sci-Fi Channel's best interest to put on subs when it means worse ratings - they'd rather wait for the higher ratings.

Belgand wrote:

I still can't believe that American TV seems to insist on running the dub every single time.

I can't believe that people still can't believe that. Razz

I mean, has there been any trend otherwise? American TV watchers just aren't built on subs. Laughing
kindups

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm really tired of hearing Bang Zoom people in dubs. If I hear Johnny Yong Bosch in a another freaking main role, I may go crazy and/or avoid the dvds. First Renton, then Ichigo, then Lelouch...gah! And please don't let Wendee Lee voice Yoko.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:04 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
A show of hands, who remembers what happenned to Jessica Calvello when ADV was coaxed into rushing the Excel Saga dub? Right, she wrecked her vocal chords and Excel had to be recast half way though the series.

It could be (and has been) argued that she took on a role that she she just wasn't capable of performing.

enurtsol wrote:

I mean, has there been any trend otherwise? American TV watchers just aren't built on subs. Laughing

It has taken this long just to get song subtitles on TV, we're a long way from seeing entire episodes subtitled on TV regularly.

kindups wrote:
I'm really tired of hearing Bang Zoom people in dubs. If I hear Johnny Yong Bosch in a another freaking main role, I may go crazy and/or avoid the dvds. First Renton, then Ichigo, then Lelouch...gah! And please don't let Wendee Lee voice Yoko.

If Bosch doesn't play Simon in his Renton voice I'll be shocked (and elated)!

Emerje
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
Considering the turnover for the average South Park episode is about one week (that includes voice acting, scripting, AND animation), I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm still praying this deal goes through though. Sci-Fi, PIERCE ADULT SWIM WITH YOUR DRILL! Wink
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
Would Bosch even be going up for a role? He's supposedly leaving.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The real trick for me will be remembering to watch. I somehow keep forgetting about Ani-Monday and only seem to remember it at random times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2