• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Panzer Dragoon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hehe. I've heard this anime mentioned before, but it's fun to hear all the horrible details.

It seems anime video game adaptions tend to fare no better than Hollywood movie video game adaptions. Though I can think of one PC-game based anime series I really enjoyed, actually.
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Aaaaaaaauuuuugh! This is the one thing I've always listed as the worst excuse for an anime I've ever seen. I know that worse exists, but it's the worst I've personally seen. I can't remember much of it, probably due to subconscious repression, but the nightmarishly bad CG and screams of "ALITAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!" will be forever etched into my memory.

Thanks a lot, ADV-of-the-past. Get stuffed. ><
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
I can pretty clearly remember picking this title up, looking at it over and putting it back down several times. I mean, I really liked the games, how bad could the anime be? Then I would remember the non-event called Fire Emblem.

The old ADV used to treat Japan like their own personal gashapon machine. They'd throw money at it on a regular basis, sometimes getting the unpainted crappy figure nobody wanted, other times getting the ultra rare limited figure that everybody wanted to get their hands on. Though I'm sure they got what they paid for most of the time.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
The old ADV used to treat Japan like their own personal gashapon machine. They'd throw money at it on a regular basis, sometimes getting the unpainted crappy figure nobody wanted, other times getting the ultra rare limited figure that everybody wanted to get their hands on. Though I'm sure they got what they paid for most of the time.

I think that may very well be the best analogy for ADV, or even the anime industry as a whole, I've ever heard.
atlanime

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
ADV made a small fortune in the 90s releasing OVAs based on video games. Tekken, Sonic, Sin(which they actually produced).
warpshadow

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
I remember an old convention where Tristan McAvery (the guy who wrote the dub script) even said it sucked.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
I picked the tape up a number of years back in a bargain store for a few dollars. I found it mixed in with a bunch of Disney tapes. I believe Tekken was also in the lot. Animation was decent but wasn't much of a plot.

The OAV suggests the plot of a really good movie but that's not what's in the OAV. Very reminicent of something a high-school student would write--a lot of ideas but no skill--written more with ego than with talent.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
I wish there were video clips so people could hear that line "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY LADY!?" It's hilarious! Oohhh what a piece of crap!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently nobody had yet figured out to do computer compositing at 24 fps, so every pan has that cheap, over-smooth look.

To be honest tough this was an issue with panning well into the beginning years of the '00. I can think of several anime from that time period where the panning just didn't look right (Sol Bianca and Legend of the Black Heaven come to mind).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
May be the best Buried Garbage ever! Man, I so want to see this now!
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
atlanime wrote:
ADV made a small fortune in the 90s releasing OVAs based on video games. Tekken, Sonic, Sin(which they actually produced).

Don't forget the travesty that is Arc the Lad.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
i remember seeing it but never got it, i must see this now.......just for the laughs and wondering why
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
atlanime wrote:

Don't forget the travesty that is Arc the Lad.
^ Which was a TV series, not an OVA, and wasn't released in the 90s. And really, Arc the Lad wasn't that bad, at least not Final Fantasy Unlimited bad.

Panzer Dragoon, on the other hand...I can see how bad this is based on the first nine minutes or so. Gotta love ridiculous dialogue like "He's gone underground!" "That's what Burrowers do best!"
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Bad reviews are so much more fun to read than good reviews.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and I thought that game made based on the Dragonheart movie sucked. This sounds loads worse D=
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3