• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream ADV's Welcome to the NHK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
No that was serious. With VC income they are considered legit now.

Besides DB can't touch them traffic wise.

And with an R1 distributor on board, Crunchyroll can say....

Last edited by hikaru004 on Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is on a roll...

I think this is a good strategy. The synposis for NHK seems good, but I'll definitely check out the stream first. It looks like the kind of series I might end up investing in.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
By the way, that was gross overestimation of DB's traffic. You need to recheck that data.

Not according to the "Reach" category on Alexa.com. But then I realized I don't really understand what that means and checked "page views" and you might be right. Can someone explain to me what "Reach" is?

On a very related note... Dattebayo has served over 130,000,000 episodes of anime on bit torrent alone since mid 2004. Monetized at 25 cents/episode, that would be over $40 million in less than 4 years. Most R1 companies would KILL for that revenue. >90% of that is from a grand total of two shows.

Why the Japanese and R1 firms continue to let this giant revenue stream go untapped is beyond me...

-Tofu
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what's up with all those pictures on the site. It gives a totally wrong image of what the series acctually is...

Tofusensei wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
By the way, that was gross overestimation of DB's traffic. You need to recheck that data.

On a very related note... Dattebayo has served over 130,000,000 episodes of anime on bit torrent alone since mid 2004. Monetized at 25 cents/episode, that would be over $40 million in less than 4 years. Most R1 companies would KILL for that revenue. >90% of that is from a grand total of two shows.

Why the Japanese and R1 firms continue to let this giant revenue stream go untapped is beyond me...

-Tofu

At 25 cents/ep it wouldn't have that many downloads. The only reason it does have that kind of downloads is because it's free and it is a popular series.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

hikaru004, are you connected to 'Cruncyroll'? I don't mean that in any accusatory way, it just seems whenever 'Crunchyroll' comes up you always post numerous personal defenses. When the issue first came up, I believe it was on the AnimeonDVD.com site, there was a 7-8 page thread and literally every other post was you flaking for the site. Are you connected to them, or just a super-fan?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Not according to the "Reach" category on Alexa.com. But then I realized I don't really understand what that means and checked "page views" and you might be right. Can someone explain to me what "Reach" is?

-Tofu

But they leeched off of someone else's property (namely Viz) and did not make any plans to become legit nor sought out legit financial backing. Stop growing lemons. DB is in a different class from Crunchyroll.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

hikaru004, are you connected to 'Cruncyroll'? I don't mean that in any accusatory way, it just seems whenever 'Crunchyroll' comes up you always post numerous personal defenses. When the issue first came up, I believe it was on the AnimeonDVD.com site, there was a 7-8 page thread and literally every other post was you flaking for the site. Are you connected to them, or just a super-fan?

Not connected nor a super fan. Just being a realist here. The odds of getting attacked and folding are decreasing rapidly now that 2 R1 distributors (ADV, Speed Racer) and 3 R2 distributors are on board.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
ThatOneMan wrote:
At 25 cents/ep it wouldn't have that many downloads. The only reason it does have that kind of downloads is because it's free and it is a popular series.

I said monetize, I didn't say charge. There's a big difference.

-Tofu
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey tofo, here's the definition that you wanted.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I just tried the stream for NHK using their h.264. It seemed okay enough, but I really don't want to watch the dub. Knowing CR is all about the fansub/sub watchers, why do they think a dub would do well? ADV is retarded, I hope they die, still.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
"high-def" was the actual quote if I remember correctly, and reading further it doesn't actually mean HD, just a term for their "high-defination", i.e better quality stream.

Considering the shows don't even exist in true HD (>480p resolution), there is no way they could stream true HD.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Im more happy to hear about the price cut. I like this idea, do it with some other series ADV and i'll be all over it. Wink

It is kinda funny that after the fuss they made when CR got that huge sum of money (4 million was it?) that they've joined forces.

That money seems to be drawing like moths to a flame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oronae

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
It's worth noting that Welcome to the NHK is a GONZO property. ADV is likely doing this at GONZO's request.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
melonbread wrote:
"high-def" was the actual quote if I remember correctly, and reading further it doesn't actually mean HD, just a term for their "high-defination", i.e better quality stream.

Considering the shows don't even exist in true HD (>480p resolution), there is no way they could stream true HD.

I think Druaga airs with a 720p resolution. Sure it might be an upscale, but it's still gotta look better than the 480p.

Infact, a ton of anime this season is airing in HD, and it is noticeable.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ADV is definitely making a mistake by offering this as a dub rather than subtitled. They'll alienate the site's regular user base (which would be the audience they should be trying to attract and maybe/hopefully/possibly sell things to) as well as anyone adverse to dubbing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4