• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it just depends on the series. I commtted myself to watching all 39 episodes of "Ideon", and was subjected to 20some episodes of pain before I actually cared about the darn thing.

Though its probably better to watch a series that starts off unappealing and gets better than a series that starts great and you lose interest along the way.

EDIT: Since almost everyone else seems to be linking to different webcomics, I might as well throw in my two cents: Cubetoons (called "IGN Toons" now, named after their host site). It's had ups and downs, but definately more ups.

Last edited by DRWii on Fri May 23, 2008 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Maybe it's just my opinion, but I thought that Eureka Seven had one of the most clear-cut, nicely-wrapped-almost-everything-up endings I've come across. I was certainly left with no doubt at all that spoiler[Renton and Eureka would make it back to Bellforest in due time]; it's kind of implied by the mood of the series as a whole. It's for this reason that I'm very apprehensive about the quality of the recently-announced upcoming movie, though the "alternate timeline" rumors have assuaged me somewhat. I can't say I'm a fan of the FMA contributor's suggestion; even if the movie didn't leave things exactly as I would have liked, it had a very definite air of finality. And as for FLCL...come on. You don't mess with 6 episodes of perfection. Razz

One series I'm surprised didn't make it in there was Big O, considering how fantastically ambiguous and unrevealing its ending was. Then again, I'm rather conflicted over it myself. I know that what ended the series really wasn't meant as an ending in the first place, and I know that it raises a hell of a lot more questions than it answers...but a huge part of me absolutely loves it for those same reasons. It allows you to play the most fantastic mind games and come up with crazily convoluted theories, and no one's able to say that you're wrong. I feel like the very ambiguity of the ending is a significant part of what makes the series my personal favorite.

This will be a controversial choice, but I want more Cowboy Bebop! I know it had a definite ending, but I miss that show. And hey, it would mean more wonderful Yoko Kanno music! Smile
rti9

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
@first question: That is exactly the type of behavior that leads many people to make this face Rolling Eyes whenever the word "anime" is mentioned near them. Don't keep throwing whatever YOU think is good at your friends. To the ordinary individual, anime fans many times are as annoying as religious zealots knocking on your door on weekend mornings.

The best tip for those who want introduce anime to friends is to start with a format they are used to: movies. It only requires about two hours of his/her free time. What Zac probably meant with LotGH is that it isn't a good idea to start with a series that is 110 episodes long. Ghibli films are almost always a good suggestion for non fans.

Yahtzee wrote:
The best writing in visual media is succinct and punchy, something a lot of webcomic writers need to understand.

He says this on this video while an image from Ctrl+Alt+Del* is displayed with big caption "too many f***ing words". I agree with skyesage about xkcd being hit or miss, but at least it's ratio of good (funny+clever) to bad (not-funny-because-it's-too-geeky) is very good compared to the rest.

EDIT = Swapped Penny Arcade to Ctrl+Alt+Del. Thanks Bika-chan.

Last edited by rti9 on Fri May 23, 2008 10:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Ok, what is so different about the Japanese production of DVDs that makes them so much more expensive? I can't imagine producing the physical product being that much more expensive there then it is here in the U.S.

Since Japanese are focused on small niche market, their DVD production quantity is a lot smaller, thus more expensive. So if they're out of print, then they out of print until they release the collection. If you ever bought Japanese R2 DVDs, they're made in Japan. Which also means those discs go through Japanese factory quality standard. They don't print those discs in some Asian countries unlike the way we print our Hollywood movie discs in Mexico.
When Bandai Visual Japan released Macross the movie DVD Limited edition, they posted recall after they found a small defect on their printed material. Does domestic companies do that? I don't know.

Quote:
My only exception to that is Bandai Visuals' Honneamise titles, dear god who thought that would be a good idea? There are a few titles I want from them but it's just going to have to wait until I can find a good deal on them.

BV USA is doing the same business practice as their Japanese counterpart. Niche titles at limited quantity. It's like buying directly from Japanese themselves, but with more episodes and subtitles (Thank god). Seriously, if they used actual Japanese pricing system, man... you'll have to pay like $30 per episode of an OVA title. Technically an OVA is supposed to sold one episode per disc in Japan, or they won't make profit to cover the production cost. We're lucky because we can buy most anime titles lot cheaper than Japanese, thanks to less money involved licensing than sponsorship.

To them, DVD and Blu ray are just another recording media except better picture and sound. Let me ask you this. How many young, trendy, mainstream anime fans will buy old titles like Patlabor movies? Also BV is only company that I know who is serious enough to commission veteran artists to do new cover arts for packaging. Domestic companies don't do anything like that to my knowledge .
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
I usually can tell either the first or second episode whether or not I'm going to like a series, but that is usually shows that are 26 episodes or shorter. There are certain longer series that I just lost interest in after awhile (InuYasha, Naruto).

I would like to see Legend of the Galactic Heroes ever since I heard Daryl Surat talking about it on an episode of AWO because he said fans of literary sci-fi would like it. And I read Sc-Fi more than anything else. However I don't know if I have time considering how long it is.

As for sequels, the most obvious answer for me is Cowboy Bebop because that's my favorite series. But it does have a definate ending, so that might be a pipe dream. I have to say I would really love to see more Twelve Kingdoms and hopefully we'll get some more after the author writes some more books.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:

Seriously, I can count on one finger the amount of "webcomics" that are consistently funny: ANNina. I'm not just pandering, and yes it is niche, but it's also funny. Others have occasional inspiration, but the majority have me scrambling for the wit and insights of Marmaduke.

OK, this proves I'm an idiot - I managed to forget Nina, which I personally enjoy quite a bit in addition to it being published by the company I work for. Time to edit the original answer!
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Baccano, now it deserves a sequel. There are the DVD only episodes, but still...

Anime News Nina is actually pretty good, I was skeptical when it first started, but it has some good gags
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
Well, going by the webcomics I read: Penny Arcade: Megatokyo, Aoi House, Perry Bible Fellowship (whenever it updates), ANNina, and Alpha Shade.

The 2008 season is the first time I've actually been bothered to download series as they air, and I've been using a standard of three/four episodes to test for if I'm interested in a show or not (four if I what I've seen so far has been good, or if I have reason to believe things will get better). Regardless of whehter or not it starts to suck at episode five, I'm in it for the whole way at that point. Fortunately, this seems to be working.

One exception to this rule (for an older show, though) was Gundam Wing, which I gave up after 13 episodes. However, I plan on buying that when I find a deal for it anyway.
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Besides ANNina and Penny Arcade, I also enjoy reallifecomics.com. It's generally pretty funny and unlike some webcomics, there isn't a big overlying storyline so if I miss a day or two, it's no big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
BV USA is doing the same business practice as their Japanese counterpart. Niche titles at limited quantity.

And they just ceased operations. I for one am shocked. SHOCKED, I say. Why, NOBODY could have POSSIBLY seen that coming!

Berserkfury819 wrote:
I would like to see Legend of the Galactic Heroes ever since I heard Daryl Surat talking about it on an episode of AWO because he said fans of literary sci-fi would like it. And I read Sc-Fi more than anything else. However I don't know if I have time considering how long it is.

Fair enough, but your avatar is from Berserk of all things! That manga simply will not stop!

The oft-repeated hesitation among fans to watch LoGH because "it's too long" strikes me as a bunch of hooey. Yes, the show proper is longer than the average show: 110 episodes for the main story. But some of the most popular anime shows in America are obscenely long. People certainly have no problem watching roughly 170 episodes of Inuyasha, about 175 episodes of Bleach, 220 some episodes of Naruto, nearly 300 episodes of Dragon Ball Z, or something like 360 episodes of One Piece. To say nothing of all the movies for each of those!

What is true is that the show is as this column describes: not for those with short attention spans. There's tons of dialogue and there's no dub, so you have to be ready to read every line and comprehend what's going on. It requires you to give it a good bit of attention to get anything out of it, so you can't just put it on as a thing in the background. This is why it's not really a good choice to show at most anime clubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
I'd say that I only watch one episode before giving up, but, as a 33-year old man, I have a pretty good grasp of where my tastes lie by now, and I'm a big spoiler-reader, so I generally know in advance whether or not I'll be interested in a show before watching it. (This also applies to movies and non-anime TV shows.)

I suppose that means that there could be "false negatives", in that I've written off shows, sight unseen, of which I would have enjoyed watching the first episode, but life is too short for me to worry about whether or not I passed on a cartoon I would have enjoyed had I watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Isn't the cost of living in general a good deal higher in Japan than in the US? So pretty much anything would be likely to cost more over there. I often wonder if a good number of Japanese anime fans aren't downloading western fansubs and just ignoring the foreign subtitles as they watch.

I almost never give up on a series after just one episode; I often watch them right to the end even though most people would say they weren't very good. Episode one of both They Are My Noble Masters and Rosario + Vampire gave me a very poor impression but in the end I watched them in their entirety. I did abandon Allison and Lillia after two-and-a-half episodes, Shugo Chara after six, and am tempted to quit Kyouran Kazoku Nikki after three.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Ok, what is so different about the Japanese production of DVDs that makes them so much more expensive? I can't imagine producing the physical product being that much more expensive there then it is here in the U.S.

Both authoring and replication (manufacturing). Over there, the media market is much smaller, and so no more than a handful of high-end major studios do either. As a result of the lack of competition, the prices never really came down.

I'm surprised, to some extent, that DVD Studio Pro didn't change at least the authoring situation (as everybody in Japan uses Final Cut Pro, and DVD Studio Pro has come with FCP for years now), but I think early DVD authoring and programming was so complicated and buggy that it scared managers away from the idea of doing it in-house.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn on a continuation of Princess Tutu. The ending was beautiful, but my inner-fangirl was protesting a little when spoiler[Duck goes back to being a duck. I think that she deserved to continue to be human. She was the most selfless character in the entire series, all the way until the end. She got the short end of the stick, but as the story says: Those who fight their fate will have glory, forfeiting happiness, which would be Mytho, in Duck's case.]
DKong

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the question about if the West or Japan has to pay more for their anime and manga.
While yes, Japan has to pay out the ass for DVDs, but their manga costs roughly half as much as it does over there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7