• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jel123

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
My fave webcomics are the ultra steam punk Girl Genius (when they stay with the main story) and the beautifully strange but seldom updated Ballad by deadmouse.

The already mentioned Nina is my only choice for anime related webcomic.
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I second, third, fourth, and fifth ANYTHING said about the Twelve Kingdoms.

...and she's started up on it again, so yet, sequel/continuation is muchly wanted.

As for any mention of Legend of Galactic Heroes... Very Happy

I'll go hug my laserdisc box sets and my cels from this show now. There is just something addicting about it to me. Smile

~Anrui
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bu:Ru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I for one, say that Loveless definetely deserved a sequel.
I mean, the anime just ended. Just like that. Sure we have the manga but still...it'd be cool if they did a sequel.

The last episode had nothing to do with the manga anyway. Ritsuka gets drugged and has a freaky dream. DA END OF DA END.

Besides, the little extra thing with the floating heads that goes along with Loveless said something about a sequel. They got my hopes up but nothings happening. I just want to see how it would go.

And I'd have something to do while waiting for the next volume of Loveless.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

The oft-repeated hesitation among fans to watch LoGH because "it's too long" strikes me as a bunch of hooey. Yes, the show proper is longer than the average show: 110 episodes for the main story. But some of the most popular anime shows in America are obscenely long. People certainly have no problem watching roughly 170 episodes of Inuyasha, about 175 episodes of Bleach, 220 some episodes of Naruto, nearly 300 episodes of Dragon Ball Z, or something like 360 episodes of One Piece. To say nothing of all the movies for each of those!

It's not really the same thing, though. These series didn't become popular because people sat down and watched 170+ episodes, but because they watched one a week on TV; that creates an entirely different set of expectations. (And most of those series weren't that long when people started watching them in the US, anyway.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

The oft-repeated hesitation among fans to watch LoGH because "it's too long" strikes me as a bunch of hooey.

I thought the oft-repeated hesitation among fans to watch LoGH was because it's "insanely dull", not too long.
voodoomage

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Ghosthunt needs a second season.... that's my second favorite anime of all time.. and a lot was left hanging
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd put in my two cents; I thought the idea for a sequel to FMA was awesome!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
While we carry the cheaper hobby, I feel as if Japan lets them charge that price. If they didn't buy then they'd be forced to lower their prices. Or find some way to make them buy besides that. Such as adding additonal episodes, or more extras.

As for webcomics....my faves include but are not limited too:

AppleGeeks
Kawaii Not Cute gone bad
Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi Just what it sounds like, but it has other CN charcters as well
9th elsewhere A story of a girl trapped in her head.

As for the Answerfans...

It depends on the show. I'll assume this means subtitled viewing....but depending on if the show has a good first or second episode. If I can't get hooked I watch more.
Sometimes it comes down to the studio, some stuidos have a repuattion of having craptasic endings, so I try to watch a little more.

Normally, if I can't get in to it by episodes 5 I let it go. Why? i use to buy back in the 2 epsidoes a vhs days myself. back then money (for me) was plentiful. Now a days with gas $4+ and having to drive back and forth to school, I'm not going to waste my money on something if it sucks. As I have a limited supply of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:

The oft-repeated hesitation among fans to watch LoGH because "it's too long" strikes me as a bunch of hooey.

I thought the oft-repeated hesitation among fans to watch LoGH was because it's "insanely dull", not too long.

Oh now it's ON.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Zac wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:

Oh now it's ON.

Mind you, Zac never said that he himself found it dull.

I don't see how anyone could sit through 110 episodes of something they thought was dull. It is an extremely enriching experience to watch that show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not much into webcomics these days but I'm honestly surprised no one has mentioned 8-bit theater. It's kind of a combination between making fun of FF and D&D. They've even got videos that go to them somewhere out there, including a special little episode dedicated to making fun of D&D in particular. Good stuff. Laughing
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
If you need to kill some time, read CONvicts, a webcomic series about 2 guys trapped at a convention.

I also read ANN, xkcd and PA religiously.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
To the Answerfan who mentioned FLCL:
FLCL was never about space or Haruko's quest to find who she was looking for. It was about three individuals (Naota, Mamimi, and Eri) stuck in a rut and how Haruko's explosive entrance and personality broke them out of that malaise. And on that front it succeeded incredibly.

I've been meaning for years now to write a paper on how misunderstood FLCL often is (not that I'm accusing said Answerfan of that) because people can't get past the seemingly random insanity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
newborntoanime

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I usually watch 2 episodes until I can decide whether it's worth watching or not.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy Perry Bible Fellowship and Married to the Sea. Penny Arcade is enjoyable too. I still usually read crtl+alt+delete although it kinda jumped the shark a while ago. The writer seems to have fallen in love with his characters so much that he's forgot what made the strip funny in the first place. I'm cautiously optimistic about Anime News Nina. It's pretty funny although web comics have a habit of starting funny and quickly starting to suck when the artist uses up the handful of jokes that inspired them to start the thing in the first place. I feel optimistic about nina though.

In some ways I think Berserk needs a sequel but in a lot of ways I'm tempted to just say: Read the manga. The anime is a fairly acceptable adaptation. However, it really can't compare to the manga. It also left out a lot of important points near the end. For this reason I think people ought to just look at the anime as an introduction to the manga which is the full version. This is coming from me too, and I normally pretty strongly prefer anime to manga. To me though, this is one of the cases where the manga is such a masterpiece that the anime doesn't really add anything significant to make up for it's downsides.

Thats where I think something that really does need a sequel is Blood: The Last Vampire. Without a doubt, Blood is one of the better anime movies I have ever seen even despite it's glaring flaw. The art is rather dark and different. You could call it ugly in some ways but definitely not bad. The animation is excellent. The main character manages to pull off the "super powerful young girl" characterization which is rarely so believable. She is so intense and tough, that you honestly can believe she is who she is supposed to be. The pace is excellent too. It gets going immediately, only slows to establish whats going on, and then dives right back into things until the end. I loved the realistic touch of mixing Japanese and English. Overall, it is just an extremely well done, well executed movie.

Going back to my original statement though, Blood is a great movie despite it's glaring flaw. Saya comes in, 40 minutes of awesome vampire killing occurs, they disappear. Where did they come from? No idea! Why were they there? Who knows! [Insert one of the numerous other questions here]? No clue! Even forgetting the more obvious questions there are several little details that were included but left unexplained. What is the significance of spoiler[her being the last "original" or more specifically, why are they just acting like they think she is the last original? Also what is with her reaction to any mention of God/religion?] It's such a shame for a movie this good and with a ton of potential for depth and development to remain so woefully incomplete. I'd love to see another 40-50 minute movie or OVA covering the events of the 2002 Blood manga. Perhaps even a few more after that continuing the story as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7