• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii: Today's Anime Is Driven by Otaku, Merchandise

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Can you tell me, in a very thorough and specific explanation, what those standards are then? And while we're at it, same thing for what constitutes objectively good direction, and objectively good music, and objectively good editing, and so on.

Whether art can be objectively measured has been an important question for aesthetics since antiquity. There's no definite answer to that question. Writing, direction and editing however is something different. Those are crafts. They need skill and that can be measured much easier. For example, if there is a big plot hole in the plot, it is universally considered a bad thing or at least not a good thing. In other things like music and drawing you also need to learn the basics first. In music you can mix up notes, in drawing you can draw unproportional limbs or screw up the shading. All of that is measurable and will be considered bad, because you did not achieve what you were aiming for.

Last edited by jl07045 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I had anticipated this question a long time ago and am surprised it took you guys so long to ask it. Therefore, I have already decided on my answer.

Touma wrote:
Bonham wrote:
Can you tell me, in a very thorough and specific explanation, what those standards are then? And while we're at it, same thing for what constitutes objectively good direction, and objectively good music, and objectively good editing, and so on.

I had thought about asking that same question, but I decided not to because I thought that it would just be an exercise in futility. But I am glad that you asked.Smile

Oh, I see. So I'm supposed to write this vast essay with specific examples? How about you guys convince me that there is no objectivity with an essay of your own first?

Even if I did provide examples, you'd just bog the discussion down by attempting to find fault with them rather than addressing the overall points I make.

In fact, that's the big issue here. There's no point in writing an essay at all. Either you accept that there is objectivity in which case you don't need one, or you steadfastly deny it and therefore no amount of persuasion is going to change your mind. Either way, I'm wasting my time.

Touma wrote:
I cannot speak for anybody else, but personally I would be satisfied with just a pointer to a web site or book that explains the process of objectively measuring any of those things.

Here you go.

He ain't perfect - no-one is, not even me - but he can teach you a few things about what good writing is and what bad writing is.

And heck, if you really want something that will show you what bad writing is, watch Mr. Plinkett's reviews of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Whether art can be objectively measured has been an important question for aesthetics since antiquity. There's no definite answer to that question. Writing, direction and editing however is something different. Those are crafts. They need skill and that can be measured much easier.
Edit: Actually, I can put this in a simpler way: technical competency should not be the measure for some sort of objective quality if we're going to say that one work is superior to another. The aesthetics in writing, direction, editing for a film, or composing and performance of a musical piece, or anything else for that matter, cannot not be ignored. Anyone can make a C-F-G-Em-C chord progression, yet that doesn't really show indicate much in terms of how people respond to it. Learning the fundamentals of any art form is needed. But staying within the supposed rules limits creativity: without the need to break away from supposedly objective standards, we would not have modern classical (Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Bartok) or numerous and influential film movements in the post-war period (French, Japanese, New Hollywood, Brazilian), for example.

dtm42 wrote:
Oh, I see. So I'm supposed to write this vast essay with specific examples? How about you guys convince me that there is no objectivity with an essay of your own first?

Even if I did provide examples, you'd just bog the discussion down by attempting to find fault with them rather than addressing the overall points I make.
But you're the one making the assertion that there are objective standards. You have the support that assertion. We say there are no objective standards. You should know that the burden of proof is on the one making the assertion, i.e. you.

The problem is not that we would just argue in semantics with you, or that we refuse to acknowledge something that's "so obviously true," but your own refusal to relent on your position.

Quote:
Here you go.

He ain't perfect - no-one is, not even me - but he can teach you a few things about what good writing is and what bad writing is.
Roger Ebert seems to be the go-to-guy on film for people who aren't really familiar with film...

By the by, it's not as those critics are a hive mind. What makes Roger Ebert more credible than A.O. Scott? Or Glenn Kenny? Or Manohla Dargis? Or Andrew O'Hehir? None of them think the same of each and every film.

The notion that there are no absolute rules for artists to always adhere to is a liberating one, as it allows the possibility for mediums to evolve with new, different ideas. Differing opinions on what is a quality product in these art forms, as well as why we respond to them and what they mean in cultures, is the greatest thing they offer. Anymouse on the previous page couldn't understand the point of that on the previous page, and I would argue that being open to a dialogue and understanding different viewpoints is the very essence of art and entertainment.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
There is more than one catholic priest in the world, but there is still a unified Catholic Church and a single body of tradition that it maintains. Just because there are multiple viewpoints does not mean there is no objective standard to which we grope however fitfully. If I wanted to mention a critic of entertainment I would probably suggest Donald Davidson. He did a lot of Folk song analysis and preservation, but nevertheless attended the Grand Ole Opry frequently. He still maintained a belief in objective standards by which entertainment could be judged.

Bonham wrote:
The notion that there are no absolute rules for artists to always adhere to is a liberating one, as it allows the possibility for mediums to evolve with new, different ideas. Differing opinions on what is a quality product in these art forms, as well as why we respond to them and what they mean in cultures, is the greatest thing they offer. Anymouse on the previous page couldn't understand the point of that on the previous page, and I would argue that being open to a dialogue and understanding different viewpoints is the very essence of art and entertainment.
I do understand this perspective, but the belief in freedom for artists is itself a standard. A certain amount of depth is necessary for a work to have enough material to sustain more than a handful of interpretations.

This debate will obviously continue for some time. I suppose that is testimony to the differing interpretations everyone makes.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Actually, I can put this in a simpler way: technical competency should not be the measure for some sort of objective quality if we're going to say that one work is superior to another. The aesthetics in writing, direction, editing for a film, or composing and performance of a musical piece, or anything else for that matter, cannot not be ignored. Anyone can make a C-F-G-Em-C chord progression, yet that doesn't really show indicate much in terms of how people respond to it. Learning the fundamentals of any art form is needed. But staying within the supposed rules limits creativity: without the need to break away from supposedly objective standards, we would not have modern classical (Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Bartok) or numerous and influential film movements in the post-war period (French, Japanese, New Hollywood, Brazilian), for example.

This is not a yes or no question, I think. First of all, to use your example, no, everyone cannot make a C-F-G-Em-C chord progression or they can make a mistake. If he can't or couldn't (instead of doesn't want to), we have a measure of quality. Of course the difficulty here is discerning whether this person made a mistake or did that intentionally. That's a job for a critic and they often mention such things. So the main question here is whether this deviation from the "norm" has a meaning. If it does, we can have a discussion about arts, if it doesn't, I'm sure most people won't consider it a good thing even if it doesn't impede their experience of the work.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
This debate will obviously continue for some time. I suppose that is testimony to the differing interpretations everyone makes.

I was going to say that there are no differing interpretations of "objective" (in the context of this discussion) but I just discovered that I am wrong. There are some definitions that I was not aware of that might be a source of confusion.

To clarify my position this is the definition of "objective" that I am using:
of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind

The key phrase there is "independent of individual thought and perceptible to all observers."
That does not apply to anime "quality" except for the purely technical aspects such as frame rate and audio encoding.
If anime did have objective quality then we would not disagree about how "good" or "bad" a show is any more than we disagree about how many episodes were made, or the running time, or the title of the opening song.
That is what I mean when I say that anime does not have any objective quality.

Last edited by Touma on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I am honestly not familiar with Donald Davidson's writings, so I cannot comment one way or the other on that.

Anymouse wrote:
There is more than one catholic priest in the world, but there is still a unified Catholic Church and a single body of tradition that it maintains. Just because there are multiple viewpoints does not mean there is no objective standard to which we grope however fitfully.
That analogy is complicated by the fact that the Catholic Church is itself an interpretation of the Bible, and one of many interpretations and denominations at that (Baptists, Lutherans, Anglicans, Eastern Orthodoxy, and so on).

Since religion has been mentioned, an old cliché can be used to illustrate the overarching issue I have with those asserting that one can objectively call a work good or bad. If one person believes in God and the other does not, the burden of proof lies on the former to prove that God does exist. Those who do not have believe in a God--or here that a work is objectively good or bad--have no burden to prove that negative. If nothing is really put forward as an argument--or even if an argument is put forward, but it shows to have little familiarity with and understanding of God or cinema/music/animation/what have you--then there's no reason for the skeptic to be converted.

jl07045 wrote:
This is not a yes or no question, I think. First of all, to use your example, no, everyone cannot make a C-F-G-Em-C chord progression or they can make a mistake. If he can't or couldn't (instead of doesn't want to), we have a measure of quality. Of course the difficulty here is discerning whether this person made a mistake or did that intentionally. That's a job for a critic and they often mention such things.
Anyone with a basic understanding of music theory can make that progression, and while mistakes can happen, it still doesn't say anything about that progression or the piece as a whole. Or like when a director breaks the 180 degree rule in film--we can't just deem that a bad choice based on craft alone. I also think it's odd that you emphasize how writing, music, editing, etc. are just "crafts" when plenty of arguments have been made that writing et al are also art. This point seems to just be semantics, and I honestly don't think that we really disagree that much when looking over arguments.

I would add looking for authorial intentionality to justify whether something works is not a foolproof judgment of assessing the success of any artistic choice. A popular example would be Verhoeven's Starship Troopers, which, while clearly intended as satire of imperialism, nationalism and militarism, does not have a clear consensus on whether it succeeds as a satire or inadvertently glamorizes such actions (or perhaps both). dtm42 and Anymouse seem to think that one can objectively say whether it does or not, which I and others object to.

I'm not sure what else can really be said at this point. Short of an actual list/document being produced that moves beyond general guidelines and skills to actual objective qualifications, I don't think anything productive can be added, so I'll probably bow out of the thread.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Since religion has been mentioned, an old cliché can be used to illustrate the overarching issue I have with those asserting that one can objectively call a work good or bad. If one person believes in God and the other does not, the burden of proof lies on the former to prove that God does exist. Those who do not have believe in a God--or here that a work is objectively good or bad--have no burden to prove that negative. If nothing is really put forward as an argument--or even if an argument is put forward, but it shows to have little familiarity with and understanding of God or cinema/music/animation/what have you--then there's no reason for the skeptic to be converted.
You on the other hand have objectively ignored that burden of proof is equally with the latter that God doesn't exist, and therefore your own personal opinionated assertions are just as flawed. So your objective of trying to clarify the matter has come to nought. But is that good or bad? Wink
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You on the other hand have objectively ignored that burden of proof is equally with the latter that God doesn't exist, and therefore your own personal opinionated assertions are just as flawed. So your objective of trying to clarify the matter has come to nought. But is that good or bad? Wink

Yeah, that's not how it works. You're committing the fallacy of shifting the burden of proof.* Faith and belief are not the same as assertions; not believing in God does not mean you assert for a fact that you know God does not exist. Until someone produces objective standards to determine whether an anime is unquestionably good or bad, Touma, myself nor anyone else have any reason to believe that any person can be objective about judging an anime or any other form of entertainment.

*Specifically: "The burden of proof is always on the person making an assertion or proposition. Shifting the burden of proof, a special case of argumentum ad ignorantium, is the fallacy of putting the burden of proof on the person who denies or questions the assertion being made. The source of the fallacy is the assumption that something is true unless proven otherwise.

"The person making a negative claim cannot logically prove nonexistence. And here's why: to know that a X does not exist would require a perfect knowledge of all things (omniscience). To attain this knowledge would require simultaneous access to all parts of the world and beyond (omnipresence). Therefore, to be certain of the claim that X does not exist one would have to possess abilities that are non-existent. Obviously, mankind's limited nature precludes these special abilities. The claim that X does not exist is therefore unjustifiable. As logician Mortimer Adler has pointed out, the attempt to prove a universal negative is a self- defeating proposition. These claims are "worldwide existential negatives." They are only a small class of all possible negatives. They cannot be established by direct observation because no single human observer can cover the whole earth at one time in order to declare by personal authority that any “X” doesn't exist."
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

I really pity those people who actually use that website to try to debate. Its naivety is astounding.

I have a philosophy degree, and I can tell you that there are things in this world that are provable, because the real world works with real rules. As the saying goes, gravity may just be a theory, but try falling off a bike and see if you float.

You know, that website explains a lot of your behaviour in this thread. The red herring page was particularly fascinating in this context.

Interesting that you edited your post to link to another site instead.

Bonham wrote:
The source of the fallacy is the assumption that something is true unless proven otherwise.

Except that there are absolute truths in this world (as opposed to mere human-generated truths which are formed from consensus), and whether we know them or not does not change the fact that they are absolutely true.

You can protest all you like that there is no objectivity quality in storytelling, but that doesn't make it any less true just because you say so.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I have a philosophy degree, and I can tell you that there are things in this world that are provable, because the real world works with real rules.

Of course that is true and nobody here has ever suggested otherwise.
Those statements show why you should be able to prove the existence of your objective quality.

Quote:
As the saying goes, gravity may just be a theory, but try falling off a bike and see if you float.

but gravity is not a theory. Gravity is a well studied and understood universal force. Gravity can be measured and the effects of gravity on objects can be accurately predicted. There definitely is scientific debate about the nature of gravity and exactly how it works, but the existence of gravity is not in dispute. Your own example of falling off of a bike is proof of the existence of gravity.
Gravity is objective, not subjective.

Quote:
Except that there are absolute truths in this world (as opposed to mere human-generated truths which are formed from consensus), and whether we know them or not does not change the fact that they are absolutely true.

That is a good example of blind faith.

Quote:
You can protest all you like that there is no objectivity quality in storytelling, but that doesn't make it any less true just because you say so.

But you still have not produced any evidence to support that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
*Specifically: "The burden of proof is always on the person making an assertion or proposition. Shifting the burden of proof, a special case of argumentum ad ignorantium, is the fallacy of putting the burden of proof on the person who denies or questions the assertion being made. The source of the fallacy is the assumption that something is true unless proven otherwise.
This is a double edged sword, because simply that depends on one's point of view of what is logical, a bias in other words. We are not all purely logical thinking persons. We all have our own personal biases developed in time through experiences and insights gained by those experiences to form a bases for knowledge and with these we then make objective decisions. When one says something is objectively right, one is not referring to some elusive reality which is the source of truth. Rather one is saying that it is one's belief that X is true, and that such a statement must always be backed up with sound arguments from policy, experience, or logic, not purely on logic alone. The difference between “I like vanilla ice cream” and “I think that objectively speaking vanilla ice cream possesses greater value than any other flavor” is merely that the first refers to one’s own taste, and so stands alone as a true statement, and the second purports to be true for everyone, and therefore requires that convincing evidence be presented. Thus, objective language is no more than a shortcut for claiming that good reasons exist why one believes a particular statement should be true for everybody, or is the best choice in a given situation, but they are both objective decisions in their own right. Wink
What is the object of storytelling in the first place?
What is the object of a particular story?
What object is used to tell that story?
Was it effective?
What affect did it have on the individual hearing, or seeing that story?
Answering these questions with the experience, insight and knowlege one has can and will become the bases of one's objective decision whether, or not the storytelling was good, or bad.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Touma, you need to look at the link I quoted. That's what I was referring to.

I will not provide proof, because it A: is a red herring, designed to throw the debate off the rails rather than actually facilitate concrete discussion, B: is not on me to provide burden of proof, as I'm not the one trying to disprove something that actually exists, C: even if I did you wouldn't believe me, because that links in with D: it is so obvious that there is objective quality to storytelling that until you admit that it exists, I'm wasting my time. Oh, and E: I already have provided proof, albeit not in a concerted form and certainly not in a long and time-wasting format.

Empirical examples of good and bad storytelling abound in their thousands. But your refusal to even consider these tells me that you don't actually want to discuss matters, you just want to argue. That annoys me, because I'm here in good faith.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I really pity those people who actually use that website to try to debate. Its naivety is astounding.

[...]

You know, that website explains a lot of your behaviour in this thread. The red herring page was particularly fascinating in this context.

Interesting that you edited your post to link to another site instead.
Yet I didn't end up using it, didn't I? I decided to make a quick post before going back to a paper I'm writing, so instead of writing a long essay on why Mohawk52 was mistaken, I decided to be lazy and link him to a website that would give a more thorough response than I could. I thought the first link I gave--which you include in hopes to discredit me or whatever--was insufficient, and so I went with a far better link.

Quote:
I have a philosophy degree, and I can tell you that there are things in this world that are provable, because the real world works with real rules. As the saying goes, gravity may just be a theory, but try falling off a bike and see if you float.
And I am majoring in film and also study music. So which of our e-penis is bigger? If so, is bigger always objectively good, or is it sometimes objectively bad?

As for gravity and the other things you mention, Touma has already pointed out those problems in your argument. Get the last word in or whatever you want, but I don't intend to respond unless you actually produce something that is unquestionably objective.

Edit:
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is a double edged sword, because simply that depends on one's point of view of what is logical, a bias in other words. We are not all purely logical thinking persons.
If logic shouldn't be valued, then why don't we go to an extreme and say that Descartes' "cogito ergo sum" is the only certainty since we all are contained to our own individual viewpoints--no one is apparently more wrong or right than the other, and, well, who needs science? Or maybe I should join the church of the magical pink unicorn.

dtm42 wrote:
I will not provide proof, because it A: is a red herring, designed to throw the debate off the rails rather than actually facilitate concrete discussion, B: is not on me to provide burden of proof, as I'm not the one trying to disprove something that actually exists
But you're the one asserting that objective standards for anime exist.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Yet I didn't end up using it, didn't I?

Except that you did. If you are unable to even see the truth in that statement, then we really won't get anywhere.

You wisely realised it was a horrible source, but you didn't change it fast enough and I caught you red-handed.

Bonham wrote:
And I am majoring in film and also study music. So which of our e-penis is bigger?

My degree in philosophy was - I thought - relevant when the page you initially linked to talked about philosophy.

This isn't about E-penis whatsoever; I see you are yet again using the laughably bad tips from that site in order to deflect blame.

Bonham wrote:
Get the last word in or whatever you want, but I don't intend to respond unless you actually produce something that is unquestionably objective.

Bailing huh? Wise move.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13