• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii: Today's Anime Is Driven by Otaku, Merchandise

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Edit:
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is a double edged sword, because simply that depends on one's point of view of what is logical, a bias in other words. We are not all purely logical thinking persons.
If logic shouldn't be valued, then why don't we go to an extreme and say that Descartes' "cogito ergo sum" is the only certainty since we all are contained to our own individual viewpoints--no one is apparently more wrong or right than the other, and, well, who needs science? Or maybe I should join the church of the magical pink unicorn.
If that what floats your boat, far be it for me to object, and where did I say logic wasn't to be valued? What I said was very few of us make objective decisions purely on logic alone. Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else find it ironic that he starts off with

Quote:
During the lecture, Oshii said that the current anime is mostly otaku-centric and made to be turned into merchandising. Oshii added that anime today is a "copy of a copy of a copy that is no longer a form of 'expression.'

and ends it with

Quote:
The story revolves around a timid second-year high school student who finds a kindred spirit in a girl he meets via a blood donation site. The girl is actually a vampire, and the comedy follows the boy's madcap efforts to get blood donations for her.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

What is the object of storytelling in the first place?
What is the object of a particular story?
What object is used to tell that story?
Was it effective?
What affect did it have on the individual hearing, or seeing that story?
Answering these questions with the experience, insight and knowlege one has can and will become the bases of one's objective decision whether, or not the storytelling was good, or bad.

I would argue that most of those things are subjective, especially the effectiveness.
But even if we concede that storytelling can be objectively measured that still does not tell us anything about how "good" or "bad" he story is. When judging anime most people are more concerned with the story, rather than the storytelling. Very few will appreciate a well-told bad story. And my point has always been that there is no way of objectively evaluating the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Touma, you need to look at the link I quoted. That's what I was referring to.

I will not provide proof, because it A: is a red herring, designed to throw the debate off the rails rather than actually facilitate concrete discussion, B: is not on me to provide burden of proof, as I'm not the one trying to disprove something that actually exists, C: even if I did you wouldn't believe me, because that links in with D: it is so obvious that there is objective quality to storytelling that until you admit that it exists, I'm wasting my time. Oh, and E: I already have provided proof, albeit not in a concerted form and certainly not in a long and time-wasting format.

Empirical examples of good and bad storytelling abound in their thousands. But your refusal to even consider these tells me that you don't actually want to discuss matters, you just want to argue. That annoys me, because I'm here in good faith.

You seem to mistake objective quality for critical consensus.
But I would really like to know which measurable criteria a work has to fulfill to be considered "good" or "bad" or "mediocre" or a "tour de force that pulls the viewer right into its neatly woven narrative" (I took the sting from my comment by putting this hilarious because true example of reviewer talk in it).
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
But I would really like to know which measurable criteria a work has to fulfill to be considered "good" or "bad" or "mediocre" or a "tour de force that pulls the viewer right into its neatly woven narrative" (I took the sting from my comment by putting this hilarious because true example of reviewer talk in it).

That question has been asked, and not answered, many times in this thread.
The last time that I asked I was given a link to Roger Ebert's web site. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
But I would really like to know which measurable criteria a work has to fulfill to be considered "good" or "bad" or "mediocre" or a "tour de force that pulls the viewer right into its neatly woven narrative"

His philosophy degree, which has soundly defeated my illogical mind.

But seriously, for an on-topic discussion:

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Anyone else find it ironic that [Oshii] starts off with [...] and ends it with [...]

A lot of people tend not to catch cognitive dissonance they create. Hell, didn't Oshii really like Madoka Magica? Deconstruction or otherwise, otaku seem to like it. But I guess Oshii would probably just consider it to be an exception, or something like that.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
NonoAsumy wrote:
But I would really like to know which measurable criteria a work has to fulfill to be considered "good" or "bad" or "mediocre" or a "tour de force that pulls the viewer right into its neatly woven narrative"

His philosophy degree, which has soundly defeated my illogical mind.

But seriously, for an on-topic discussion:

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Anyone else find it ironic that [Oshii] starts off with [...] and ends it with [...]

A lot of people tend not to catch cognitive dissonance they create. Hell, didn't Oshii really like Madoka Magica? Deconstruction or otherwise, otaku seem to like it. But I guess Oshii would probably just consider it to be an exception, or something like that.

If dtm42 hadn´t already ruled out otaku-appeal as an objective measurement of quality I would probably have to admit that Puella Magi Madoka Magica is one of the best anime ever made.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Anyone with a basic understanding of music theory can make that progression, and while mistakes can happen, it still doesn't say anything about that progression or the piece as a whole.

It does. It says that the piece is not professionally done. And a lot of such mistakes (if recognized) will make people think worse of the work.

Quote:
I also think it's odd that you emphasize how writing, music, editing, etc. are just "crafts" when plenty of arguments have been made that writing et al are also art. This point seems to just be semantics, and I honestly don't think that we really disagree that much when looking over arguments.

What I am emphasizing is the craft "part" of them, because that is where imo we can try and look for objectivity. Did you really assume that I think that music, writing and editing cannot be creative? I never said that and since art and craft aren't mutually exclusive I don't think I implied that either.

Quote:
I would add looking for authorial intentionality to justify whether something works is not a foolproof judgment of assessing the success of any artistic choice.

It's not foolproof but it also cannot be dismissed. The problem is that we do not clearly know the authorial intent so our interpretations rely on guesswork. About your example with Starship Troopers. Is it really certain that it was a satire or is it an educated guess? Let's say it was. If there really is a significant disagreement about whether it succeeds as a satire and there are arguments of relatively equal weight on both sides, that means it didn't. That is an objective logical conclusion. Whether it is also true relies on agreement about the wording involved, most importantly, what it means for the satire to "succeed".

I have to stress: I am not stating that a piece of art or entertainment as a whole can be objectively compared to another one. If you thought so, you were fighting a strawman. I am looking for objective truths in those works that can be used to compare them or measure them because people are doing that all the time and are not going to stop.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
It does. It says that the piece is not professionally done. And a lot of such mistakes (if recognized) will make people think worse of the work.

A trend of mistakes will point to that, yeah, but if a musician flubs, say, the phrasing of melody for a couple seconds in the song during a life performance, I wouldn't say that makes his or her performance unprofessional. But I'm really thinking of stuff like atonality used in music; someone like John Cage or Derek Bailey are not universally embraced, and some really intelligent people consider what they produced to not be music (I've certainly met people who consider Bailey's guitar to be just noise). Cage and Bailey did know the fundamentals, but they took atonality beyond using it for basic ideas like dissonance and made music that a lot of people didn't just dislike, but outright rejected as music and considered failures. They consider it to be beyond an aesthetic issue and more of a fundamental one, although I'm not sure if you feel the same.

Quote:
Did you really assume that I think that music, writing and editing cannot be creative? I never said that and since art and craft aren't mutually exclusive I don't think I implied that either.
When you said "writing, directing, and editing is however something different. Those are crafts," I took that to mean that you considered them categorically separate from the whole artistry that comprises a film. I misinterpreted you.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I don't disagree at all with what else you say in the post.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
If dtm42 hadn´t already ruled out otaku-appeal as an objective measurement of quality I would probably have to admit that Puella Magi Madoka Magica is one of the best anime ever made.

PMMM is one of the best Anime ever made. It's just that this is a rare example in which Otaku happen to like it.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote
Felt a bit like weighing in on this...

Today I celebrated my 27th birthday with friends new and old. Granted, this was some 6 days after my birthday, but turkey and cake aren't terribly enjoyable together.

The one thing I asked was that everyone gathered watched with me the first anime I'd ever seen - Project A-Ko. It's campy, kitschy, burdened/blessed with a screwball dub from the early days at US Manga Corps, and once you get past that its animation still features some of the most fluidly captured movement of the time, it scores a little low on the "artistic cinematic value" scale.

It had a room full of people, ranging in age from 19 to 40, laughing their heads off and eager to see the sources it pulled from to create some of its more elaborate in-jokes.

Oshii - together with Rumiko Takahashi - created a TV series that defined an entire genre during the same time that Project A-Ko came out. If you watch Urasei Yatsura now, it's an old tale but it's still outrageously funny with the ability to be sweet, sad, and even poignant when it means to be.

There's something fantastic in any work that's able to continue to attract new eyes long long after it makes its initial impact. No, it's not measurable, but I like to think it's something in the details that Oshii speaks of.

An animator is able to create a complete world. His camera can go anywhere, show anything, and the ink for a metropolis of three million costs the same as the ink for a desolate wasteland of one. The quality is in, where I'm concerned, how important this is to the creator.

Think about it. What's so wrong with silly little love stories if they're done because creators want to tell them? I do agree wholly that there is something terrible about the shows where studio B teams are handed the "cliche checklists" just to cover demographics, but I don't genuinely think anyone is defending these regardless of era.

Without talking to the man, it's hard to say entirely, but I would think that Oshii's biggest bitterness may be genre based. Yes, he did create a romantic comedy that formed the blueprint for the harem genre, but there's a tremendous amount of brilliant storytelling, tender character development, and phenomeonal slapstick in UY that Oshii, Takahashi, and a team of others worked hard to create and are justifiably proud of.

Were it my work, I'd be thrilled to see the new, exciting, passionate intepretations of fellow creators and I'd be absolutely gutted to see my work being used as a formula for airwave filler.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

And my point has always been that there is no way of objectively evaluating the story.
So how do you decide whether a story is good, or bad then?
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
But I'm really thinking of stuff like atonality used in music; someone like John Cage or Derek Bailey are not universally embraced, and some really intelligent people consider what they produced to not be music (I've certainly met people who consider Bailey's guitar to be just noise). Cage and Bailey did know the fundamentals, but they took atonality beyond using it for basic ideas like dissonance and made music that a lot of people didn't just dislike, but outright rejected as music and considered failures. They consider it to be beyond an aesthetic issue and more of a fundamental one, although I'm not sure if you feel the same.

Obviously this is not an issue of skills, but of choice and moves outside the things I was talking about. I'm not well versed in musical theory so this issue is probably beyond me. I however think that this is an aesthetic issue. I don't know the arguments involved, but I would think that the criticisms come from the fact that so many people consider their works ugly. If they liked them, the question about them being music or not would be purely academic. A lot would also depend on Cage and Bailey's reasons for making such music.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Touma wrote:

And my point has always been that there is no way of objectively evaluating the story.
So how do you decide whether a story is good, or bad then?

I decide based on how much I enjoy watching it, or reading it if you want to include books. That's all.

EDIT: I actually try to avoid saying that a show is "good" or "bad" and instead say that I like it or do not like it. This is because so many people do not understand that what I say is subjective.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I decide based on how much I enjoy watching it, or reading it if you want to include books. That's all.

Then you are unable to distinguish between enjoyment and quality.

My favourite Anime in the whole wide world is, no joke, Dragonball Z, with the FUNimation dub and the Faulconer music. I can sit down and watch almost any episode and enjoy it. But it is not the best Anime I've ever seen, oh feck no. In fact, it has numerous, serious writing problems and riddled with plot holes so big you could throw a spirit bomb through them.

The show sucks but I adore it anyway. But at least I know it sucks. I haven't fallen into the trap that you have, which is thinking that personal enjoyment is all that matters. The deficiencies in the writing are absolutely there; the story is basically a continuous stream of poor writing. And so it is important not to let my personal feelings get in the way of actually analysing the show objectively.

I just wish you could do the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13