• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Inside Toei Animation (Part 1)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicSP

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
My computer can't view it Anime cry

I always wanted to know how anime are made....
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Did you update Flash? If that doesn't work, try the DailyMotion link at the bottom of the page. Failing that, I'm sure a friend would let you use their computer. Very Happy

h.264 is gorgeous, but one requires at least a computer made in 2003 or newer, really.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Very nice. Cool Toei, along with Bones and I.G. is up there as one of my favorite anime studios. Most of my favorite series, as well as series that pretty much shaped me as an anime fan came from them. So it's definitely very nice to get an inside look on what they do. Looking forward to part 2 next week as well. Maybe we'll get an inside track on Ayakashi/Monnonoke? Anime hyper

So with I.G. already covored as well as this, I'm for sure all for a Bones one! Cool
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Here's me thinking that pens were still used at some point. Am I right to presume they continue the process shown until the characters animations are ready to be sent off for colouring?
That is to say, is it only down to one group of animators to fully animate all the characters? Perhaps part 2 will let us into more of their trade secrets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
DBZ was just a fluke, and other than Yu Gi Oh, everything else which has been successful here has been from other studios.

You're kidding right? Even if the ONLY successful titles to come out of Toei were "Sailor Moon" and "DragonBall (Z)", those two titles ALONE would make them the single most influential studio to American anime fans. (Only one even coming close would be Shogakukan) They may not be responsible for many titles people currently claim as their top 10, but they ARE behind two of the biggest "gateway" titles ever and produced lots of hits as well as titles which (IMO) could have had a shot here if marketed correctly. ("One Piece" is generally considered to be a failure on the part of the US licensor and "Futari wa Precure" probably could have had a shot if a company was willing to risk a new magical girl show on TV)

I think it's ridiculous to say they're less successful because their "Shounen JUMP" title hasn't fared as well as others, but I think being proud of their legacy of the last 2 decades isn't misplaced. And while it is PAINFUL to watch now (seriously, if you think the dubbing on ANY anime you watch today is bad, watch this movie) I still love "The Legend of the White Serpent" or "Panda & the Magic Serpent" as it was known here in the US.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought the part with the animation got extremely dull after the first minute, but I did enjoy some of the history behind the studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Here's me thinking that pens were still used at some point. [Snip]

I know,I'm still a big fan of the past works,where most everything was hand drawn and hand painted by the studios or otherwise.PC,Tablet work and digital coloring (IMO)kind of loses the humanity and life that older series used to have.Hand drawn animation was one of the reasons I kept up with anime,over simple cartoons we had in the 80's.I also used to have a lot of fun,spotting the cell edges and dirt captured by the old animation process. Very Happy

I'd sure like to mess around with that Tablet,Yoshihiro-san is working with.Don't get me wrong,I'm a old school animation fan,but I adore the tech we have now a days.You see those lines Yoshihiro drew?Dude must have never touched a caffeinated drink in his life.I would have been all over the place,demoing it off like that.I was waiting for Yoshihiro to show off some new tween effects,for those Luffy illustrations.With tech like that(and the episode count in One Piece)you gotta learn to cut a few corners at least.

@jsevakis:
I had to watch the video a few times,my attention was all over the place.I kept pausing to look at all those cells like Hokuto no Ken,Sailor Moon and GeGeGe no Kitaro behind Toshihiko-san.You said it was a museum?Can anyone go in there,or is it a press only kind of thing.Did they have a sample of every thing they have made or been involved with?I talkin there and ready to go?How did you acquire the vintage footage?As long as I've known Toei,they have used Puss in Boots was their mascot,was there ever a different mascot?(I never gave this a second thought until now.)Was there anything super rare,that you couldn't show on film or on part two?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I had to watch the video a few times,my attention was all over the place.I kept pausing to look at all those cells like Hokuto no Ken,Sailor Moon and GeGeGe no Kitaro behind Toshihiko-san.You said it was a museum?Can anyone go in there,or is it a press only kind of thing.Did they have a sample of every thing they have made or been involved with?I talkin there and ready to go?How did you acquire the vintage footage?As long as I've known Toei,they have used Puss in Boots was their mascot,was there ever a different mascot?(I never gave this a second thought until now.)Was there anything super rare,that you couldn't show on film or on part two?

I must admit, I spent a good portion of the tour peeing my pants (figuratively). That museum is not open to the public to my knowledge, but is used mainly for small corporate events and for guests and the like. It was supposed to be closed the day we went, but they made a special exception for us.

One thing that's hard to tell from the video is how old the building is -- it feels completely different from any of the buildings in Tokyo, the sort of place they just don't build anymore. I didn't get a chance to take a picture, but one sight I saw summed up the place: in one corner, near a window, there was a red fire bucket circa 1950 sitting on the floor. Right next to it was a closed rack of at least 100 gigabit ethernet switches.

The vintage footage was provided to us by Toei Animation Co., Ltd.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I must admit, I spent a good portion of the tour peeing my pants (figuratively). That museum is not open to the public to my knowledge, but is used mainly for small corporate events and for guests and the like. It was supposed to be closed the day we went, but they made a special exception for us.

Was that at the studio in Nerima? I think for "standard" tours they have a reception area that has displays of every title Toei has worked on, plus they have images from their works all over the studio.
flip
Protoculture Addicts Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
invalidname wrote:
I subscribe to the podcast feed of ANNtv, and iTunes won't copy this episode to either my iPod Classic or my iPhone, saying that the devices can't play the video (it does, however, play on the computer). Did someone change some MPEG-4 encoding settings?

Oops. Yes, I did. Wink It's fixed now, along with a few subtitle adjustments. Sorry 'bout that.

It still doesn't play on the AppleTV... But plays on the computer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Heero:
Quote:
Even if the ONLY successful titles to come out of Toei were "Sailor Moon" and "DragonBall (Z)", those two titles ALONE would make them the single most influential studio to American anime fans.

American fans associate DBZ with Toriyama, not Toei. And CLAMP is bigger here than Sailor Moon.

Quote:
"One Piece" is generally considered to be a failure on the part of the US licensor

Toei's to blame there, too. They should've went with FUNimation the first time around.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
very informative . i like ANNtv more and more now. People compare DBZ to the current anime which is a bad comparison. DBZ was like 16-17 year ago? I remember when i was at age 10-13.
Toei is like huge, they have Dragon Ball/Z, Saint Seiya, Dr. Slump.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Heero:
Quote:
Even if the ONLY successful titles to come out of Toei were "Sailor Moon" and "DragonBall (Z)", those two titles ALONE would make them the single most influential studio to American anime fans.

American fans associate DBZ with Toriyama, not Toei. And CLAMP is bigger here than Sailor Moon.

I concede the first point, but CLAMP wouldn't be anywhere near as popular they are today in the US if it weren't for sailor moon.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
@jsevakis
A little old with a little new huh,that's funny.I seriously envy what you've done and where you are going with ANN.I'm a big fan of these companies,I would have been sqeeling the whole time,and no matter what studio you interview,it's a great treat for anyone,fans or not, to get to see inside these animation studios.I look forward to part 2. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
samuel: I think it's the other way around, myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4