• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Inside Toei Animation (Part 1)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
this was really exciting. it gave me a chance to see how they make all of their work so straight and they also showed us how they make the animation on the shows look like somebody jujst magically made them look soo real; i'd like to see them do something like BLEACH or Eureka Seven. Not that i was disappointed with One Piece.. i would just like to see them do some bankai.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Heero:
Quote:
There is not a SINGLE CLAMP title (and I'm a CLAMP fan), or ANY shoujo title, that's had more impact (in the US) than Sailor Moon

Are you kidding? I saw more people cosplaying and talking about Chobits than I ever saw for Sailor Moon.

*sigh* ok, so we wanna go by that standard? Here's Usagi-chan photo gallery from Anime Expo 2000:
http://www.usagichan.com/AX2000/
(wass gonna use Fansview but the older ones are not cooperating) Applying the liberal standard of "any CLAMP title" vs. "Sailor Moon ONLY and trying to weed out repeats" I got a count of about 28 Sailor Moon cosplayer pics vs. 24 "any CLAMP" (with a VERY liberal standard of what could possibly be CLAMP). Or, if you prefer, I also have the "(as best I can tell) unique Sailor Moon costumes" (46) vs. "any CLAMP costume including repeats, +an obvious Ranma standing by a Sakura I'm calling "Hikaru", +A girl in a blue wig I'm calling "Umi", +2 Doremi cosplayers I'm pretending could be Card Captor Sakura, plus a stuffed dog that's supposed to be "Inuki" held by a Yuzuriha cosplayer (who yes, was also counted)". (38)
Lemme know if you can find any CLAMP that I missed in there, I think I even pretended random winged girls are supposed to be from Clover. I know I caught characters from Rayearth, X, Tokyo Babylon and Card Captor Sakura (including a really good Yukito).
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun:
Quote:
"Those girls" were probably 10 or younger at the time; of course they didn't know or care what edits were or were not being made to the series.

They also didn't care about other shows like it in their later years. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The simple fact that non-anime fans not only knew about the series, but were ardent fans of it, means that it did what very few anime titles have managed to do: break through into the general popular culture.

People know what Speed Racer is, but that didn't help it at the box office.

Quote:
It's in the same vein as Pokemon or DBZ.

No it's not in the same vein, since DBZ and Pokemon are huge enough to be on most search engine ranks; and they continue to sell merchandise long after their peak periods. Sailor Moon was a fad which got a bit of WOM, but died out when CLAMP came along.

Quote:
Try asking any non-anime fan today if they've heard of something called "Card Captor Sakura," and you'll just get laughed at.

I'd imagine you'd get laughed at for Sailor Moon, too.

Quote:
As I said above, I knew of it (and even its theme song...which is now stuck in my head Mad ) despite having no interest in it or anime in general...which indicates it had broken through into a market beyond that of strictly anime fans.

It had gotten exposure in a market which normally is not exposed to anime. There's a difference between that and being able to achieve mainstream success and recognition.

Quote:

And saying that GITS or Akira let in "less geeky" fans? Lulz.

Well, before that, most of the American otaku were into the mecha stuff, so it did make a difference.

posterior:
Quote:
Um what? SM is one of THE most infulential anime to ever cross overseas. People who have no clue about anime know sailor moon.

But if they still have no clue about anime, then it's not really that influential.

Quote:
As much as I love CLAMP, they do not have any titles with that kind of name recognition.

And yet AX had a record-breaking attendance, due to them...

Quote:
Even CCS, the only CLAMP title shown on broadcast TV unless im mistaken was not nearly as popular even as it was airing.

It was popular enough for the subbed dvds to outsell the dubbed dvds in a market not known to be friendly to shojo.

Edit: Anyway, Abunai is going to say I'm getting OT, and testor is going to contradict me, so I'll stop here.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And yet AX had a record-breaking attendance, due to them...

While I don't discount the impact, AX had lots going on that year and I don't think one can say their attendance figures were solely due to CLAMP. (altho, if you want to make that argument I'd like to know how that record was broken the next year by almost 10%)
Quote:
Edit: Anyway, Abunai is going to say I'm getting OT, and testor is going to contradict me, so I'll stop here.

WTF? not even gonna comment on the statistics? I just finished the ACen '01 numbers and they're about even now if I pretend random outfits are CLAMP related because they're holding CLAMP toys and that the same girl in the same outfit with the same doll in three different pics is three girls.

EDIT: Also, for the record, I have cosplayed characters from Tokyo Babylon, X, CLAMP Campus Detectives and numerous other anime titles (like Fushigi Yuugi, Gundam Wing, Naruto, etc.) and NONE of them have gotten the level of reaction as the ONE time I cosplayed as Tuxedo Mask.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the problem here is that we're judging the series' performance by two entirely different standards. GATSU, you seem to be insinuating that, just because it didn't turn into a merchandising juggernaut and convert everyone who watched it into anime fans, Sailor Moon wasn't a big success over here. While I'll concede those two points (though I have no idea how the series did merchandise-wise), I don't think it's fair to consider only them when defining how much of a success the series was. The show was all but crippled in terms of its long-term success by the hullabaloo over its license; you can't keep selling merchandise and DVDs that don't exist. And I severely doubt that every kid who watched Pokemon or DBZ wound up becoming general anime fans, either. The fact that a plurality of the people who voted in that poll posted earlier (an audience that, as you said, probably consisted almost entirely of hardcore anime fans) selected Sailor Moon as their anime introduction speaks of the influence that it did have. And as Heero noted, it's still very popular among cosplayers. True, it may not be generating the money that CLAMP titles are now, but it did manage to reach a very large audience with significant television airtime, which is more than any of those series can claim.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
Wow times sure have changed. I never really knew Japanese companies now use digital machines now, but I liked seeing what changes have been made in anime companies.

The only question I have is; what ever happened to Dragon Quest: Dai No Daibokuen (Dai's Big Adventure)? Though I did hear this information via Crunchyrolll, they do have the anime in the licensed list. Yet I haven't heard any news about this before. Though I am glad this series did get licensed.

Another obvious to others, but news to me is that besides Buried Tresure, Justin also does ANNtv. That I think is impressive, that must be a ton of work though.

I haven't seen ANNtv since Mike Tolie reviewed Kanon, so this episode was actually quite interesting.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And I severely doubt that every kid who watched Pokemon or DBZ wound up becoming general anime fans, either.

I doubt what you're saying here is right.

posterior_praiser wrote:
Um what? SM is one of THE most infulential anime to ever cross overseas. People who have no clue about anime know sailor moon. As much as I love CLAMP, they do not have any titles with that kind of name recognition.

In terms of single titles in name for influence, then yeah.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki: I have a feeling the rights to DQ reverted to Toei, and they're simply hoping to shop it around, now that the game finally found an audience here.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
Namia_the_Theif_18 wrote:
this was really exciting. it gave me a chance to see how they make all of their work so straight and they also showed us how they make the animation on the shows look like somebody jujst magically made them look soo real; i'd like to see them do something like BLEACH or Eureka Seven. Not that i was disappointed with One Piece.. i would just like to see them do some bankai.

They are not magical. Those guys draw thousands of pictures for 10 to 20 years prior to computer. It's just that they get aid from computer to make production process faster.

Speaking of BLEACH, it's just another Shueisha's Shonen Jump formula title. One Piece and Dragon Ball Z are the same formula titles from Shonen Jump.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4