• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
The same goes for Lucky Star OP.

Question, and I've always wondered this - the Lucky Star OP and the show itself was such a blatant attempt to pander to otaku audiences, feeding them with things the industry knew they'd go crazy for. Lucky Star remains one of the most cynical cash-grabs I've ever seen.

The entire show comes across as "here's what you people will buy, we've perfected the formula, now pay up" nonsense that otaku - especially American otaku - always slam the American film industry for. Any sequel or action movie gets ripped apart by the otaku community for being "Hollywood bullshit" but Lucky Star gets praised because it panders on every possible level.

Does anyone in the hardcore otaku community realize this, or do they just not care?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Weezer just did a really fun video featuring internet memes.

It's weird how the most random things will become memes.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Question, and I've always wondered this - the Lucky Star OP and the show itself was such a blatant attempt to pander to otaku audiences, feeding them with things the industry knew they'd go crazy for. Lucky Star remains one of the most cynical cash-grabs I've ever seen.

The entire show comes across as "here's what you people will buy, we've perfected the formula, now pay up" nonsense that otaku - especially American otaku - always slam the American film industry for. Any sequel or action movie gets ripped apart by the otaku community for being "Hollywood bullshit" but Lucky Star gets praised because it panders on every possible level.

Does anyone in the hardcore otaku community realize this, or do they just not care?

That IS a good point, but then again you're talking about many of the same people who think Anime should be free, Dubs are always bad, Japanese is always "cooler" despite the acting quality, etc etc. I guess it's really easy to be hypocritical and bias with something you like. For example I was just pondering how at work, I hate how one of my coworkers expects special treatment because she's older than most of us, but then I go and demand an exception when I'm told it's store policy I can't go on vacation during 4th of July. Am I just a hypocrite? Most likely.

But anyway, I guess I never commented on the comic itself. I thought it was hilarious because of how accurate it was. I mean sometimes I'll enjoy something meme related and try to show it to someone and they'll be just be like... wha? I know this happened when I tried to show my sister the short lived Zeta Punch meme. Even I don't know what I find so amusing by it.

And yeah LOL at 4chan, it's not like the comic directly insulted them or anything remotely close and they're declaring war on ANN. Just.. wow, learn to take a joke every once in a while guys.
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I just thought I'd mention that I just came back from a wedding that was Rick Rolled. It was quite amusing. (They also played a Katamari Damacy song when they cut the cake and the Final Fantasy victory music when they entered the reception. God I love nerds!!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lucky Star remains one of the most cynical cash-grabs I've ever seen.

I prefer an animation that isn't ashamed to say that it was created to make money rather than a title trying to impose itself as art. The same goes for fans. I prefer the fans who admit that what they watch isn't aiming at critical acclaim as opposed to the fans who keep declaring that anime is art.

Zac wrote:
Any sequel or action movie gets ripped apart by the otaku community for being "Hollywood bullshit"...

In the anime section of the forum we occasionally encounter variations of threads entitled "Is (insert fanservice) ruining anime?" Fanservice is seen by many just as this "Hollywood bullshit". Some love it. Some hate it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I just thought I'd mention that I just came back from a wedding that was Rick Rolled. It was quite amusing. (They also played a Katamari Damacy song when they cut the cake and the Final Fantasy victory music when they entered the reception. God I love nerds!!)

They wouldn't have happened to cut the cake with a gunsword replica as a knife would knew? Cause that would be ultimate nerdness there, and awesome IMO.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I don't know if I'd count as a "hardcore otaku" but my guess would be that so long as Lucky Star is filled with the things they like, it doesn't matter to them if it is fan-pandering or not. Personally, I'm perfectly okay with any such pandering and formula so long as I enjoy it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
[Does anyone in the hardcore otaku community realize this, or do they just not care?
I'd say it was all the above, because to them anime, especially this genre, can do no wrong. Wink
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Zac wrote:
I don't know if I'd count as a "hardcore otaku" but my guess would be that so long as Lucky Star is filled with the things they like, it doesn't matter to them if it is fan-pandering or not. Personally, I'm perfectly okay with any such pandering and formula so long as I enjoy it.

I thought Lucky Star was funny, and I don't actually like moe (I was also into Air because of the summer atmosphere and the drama). I don't really care if Lucky Star is fan-pandering.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

I would think your answer is pretty obvious. I mean these are the kinds of hardcore fans (in this specific category) that think anything from Japan is simply gold and better then the rest of the world. Everything else is simply inferior because it's not from their exalted Japanese masters that they worship. These fans probably sleep hugging the pictures of their favorite anime directors and pray to them for guidance. These kind of fans are in the end deluded and self absorbed nit wits for the most part who can't see 2 inches past their noses as their heads are so far up their asses they could give themselves a colostomy. To them Japan is the epitome of greatness and we should all bow to our Japanese masters. It's a double standard Zac. It's not ok unless Japan does it, then it's ok. If the story from any Hollywood movie that they would tear apart and loath became that of an anime it would suddenly be a good story and full of wonderful depth and character development.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

I realize it Zac. I really do. And the loli angle doesn't help. At. All.

Then again, I'm one to talk for owning almost every single ISO directly from Japan. Not because I like any of it, mind you, but for AMV purposes.

Love the English dub, though. I wonder why?

And let's face it: any difference between this and Vampire Knight? *shields body from fangirls * Good lord. When the review of this thing first came up, it was total crap. Today, it's spawned its own hellbeast of an anime and continues pandering to every drooling fangirl within a known radius. And that's the demographic. It sells.

Of course, it's much better than America's Twilight any day. Vampires that sparkle in daylight? WTF!

Am I off on another tangent? WTF!
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
I would also like to point out that while I am mostly a fan of animation, and feel that the disney musical formula has somewhat limited the scope of film animation, and that CGI tech is becoming the way to get audiences into the theatre for an animated film (which is as much true of the largely unexceptional CGI animated films from japan as it is of the ones from other countries, though there are a lower percentage of 3D CGI films made there and released theatrically than in, say, america, so far as I know), I do like many live action films from america, I loved Iron Man, and I also look forward to The Incredible Hulk and Batman: The Dark Knight, I also enjoyed There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men, I do tend to watch a lot of non-English language films, but not always Japanese ones. The point being that I'm not a hardcore otaku and I still liked Lucky Star, just because... I did, so please stop making generalisations.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
The point being that I'm not a hardcore otaku and I still liked Lucky Star, just because... I did, so please stop making generalisations.
I don't think Zac was saying that everyone who likes the show is a hardcore otaku, just that the target audience for Lucky Star would be such people. (Which is probably an accurate assessment.)

Zac just has a way of phrasing things in a manner which makes him sound like he's challenging everyone to prove something. It's part of his. . . charm. Wink

And yes, Iron Man was quite good and No Country For Old Men was, in my opinion, one of the few movies in years to deserve the awards and critical acclaim it got. Javier Bardem dominated the screen. (My only complaint was I never got to see him and Tommy Lee Jones together in a scene. The combination of the two might have made my TV explode from the sheer awesome.)

Guess I'm only a borderline hikikomori and kind-hearted pervert rather than a hardcore otaku. Still, I can't wait for that next volume of Lucky Star. Cool
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
(My only complaint was I never got to see him and Tommy Lee Jones together in a scene. The combination of the two might have made my TV explode from the sheer awesome.)

Mine exploded years ago when I popped that first disc of Cowboy Bebop into the player, unfortunately the store didn't think that awesomeness related explosions were covered under the warranty, I now have an awesomeness-proof TV, it also resists, kickassness, coolness, w00tness, rockin'ness, rockingness and the LOL and ROTFLMAO factors. My DVD player and all my other software have been hacked to add protections.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Robin Sevakis?

Do you mean to tell me that Justin the "Buried Treasure" moderator has a sibling who also moderates articles?

A sister or brother?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9