• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Same thing goes with irony, especially since nobody knows what irony actually means.

I thought it was just Alanis Morissette that didn't understand irony. It's not really all that hard a concept to grasp.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
So how many 'cosplayers' are going to show up at upcoming cons dressed as "COATERPLATYPUS"?

You've created a monster.

Hope no one gets hurt on wire hangers trying this. I can only imagine the headlines. Worse yet, the knee jerk reaction regrading how it must be anime's fault and not you know... the individual for trying something that is clearly not intended to be repeated.

Though kudos to the ANNina writers for coming up with something dumber than ACTUAL internet memes. I wasn't sure it was possible. I shall cry myself to sleep to night, and once there, have nightmares featuring everything I know and love... with coat hangers.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine anyone actually cosplaying this, but then again, some people might do this despite the potential danger.

Kudo's to Robin for being creative though.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Great comic. I'm glad you did the 300 one. 300 memes are so played out.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
LMFAO:lol: Oh boy that was funny Poor Nina I know how she feels I loved the Psyduck picture LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
Besides Over 9000 and Leekspin, are there any other significant anime-related memes? These two seem to be the only ones on the same level as All Your Base Are Belong to Us, Leeroy Jenkins, and Rick Roll.

Banana Phone doesn't seem to count as anime-related.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The Leeroy Jenkins one has been revealed to be staged, actually. Along with Angry French Teacher and Angry German Boy. I love how the guy does a spin kick in the first video. And notice how one of the students is prepared to be slugged.

Has anyone noticed there were no references to any Daisuke memes? Or did I just spoil the next comic?
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget caramelldansen.

Also it's strictly a Japanese Meme for now, but there's also the Danjo.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend working on his own version of Danjo (and one based on a group fanfic, no less), so it's apparently crossed the Pacific. Laughing
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
So how many 'cosplayers' are going to show up at upcoming cons dressed as "COATERPLATYPUS"?

That's too easy. Now, if someone goes as Nina doing a COATERPLATYPUS and makes their own plush Moopi figure, then you have something...
JNOtaku

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Besides Over 9000 and Leekspin, are there any other significant anime-related memes? These two seem to be the only ones on the same level as All Your Base Are Belong to Us, Leeroy Jenkins, and Rick Roll.

Banana Phone doesn't seem to count as anime-related.

Actually, I found some more famous ones, especially on YouTube. There was a recent episode of South Park ("Canada On Strike") that featured Butters trying to get rich off the internet. This video shows many of the internet stars as depicted in the episode, along with their real-life counterparts:

South Park w/original videos of internet stars

Ordered list:

1. Chocolate Rain
2. Tron Guy
3. Numa Numa
4. Star Wars Kid
5. Sneezing Panda
6. Dramatic prairie dog / gopher
7. Leave Britney Alone
8. Two Asian Boys
9. Laughing Baby
10. Afro Ninja

Cain Highwind wrote:
Don't forget caramelldansen

Actually, there is a popular video on YouTube featuring the Speedycake remix of the song.

Finally, you can't forget the Filipino inmates at the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center doing a coordinated dance to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (and Hare Hare Yukai from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

As for the comic, I thought it was a really funny depiction of the 4chan and other internet communities like that. I look forward to next week's comic!
rti9

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Danjo seems to be something from Hyadain which is game-inspired and, as mentioned, strictly Japanese (kinda like スプー)

Hare Hare Yukai's popularity is a consequence of Haruhi's fame rather than an internet phenomenon.

Of all links mentioned, only caramelldansen seems anime-related (thanks Cain). The Caramell video made me wonder: how do you measure the popularity of memes? Three characteristics that appear to be crucial to the strength of a meme are longevity, independence from it's source, and popularity outside it's target audience. Kevin says, "You're still saying that? That meme was played-out like a year ago! Get with the program." I don't think Robin probably was thinking this far, but this indicates that coaterplatypus wasn't a strong meme to begin with. This isn't a criticism. I'm just stating how difficult it is to become a hit.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

Hope no one gets hurt on wire hangers trying this. I can only imagine the headlines. Worse yet, the knee jerk reaction regrading how it must be anime's fault and not you know... the individual for trying something that is clearly not intended to be repeated.

No. Hopefully they somehow accidentally hang themselves and thus reduce the surplus population. Are we really at that much of a loss if we lose people who dress up as random internet memes. Twisted Evil
whirlwindno1

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
is this an example of a meme?...as this is a new thing to me, was completely baffled at what this nina comic was about this time. Of galaxy angel rune OP
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

The only anime related meme other than possibly caramelldansen (previously mentioned) on the same level of popularity of those would be "so i herd u liek mudkip". There are also quite a few very popular anime related memes going around Nico Nico Douga (this includes Danjo). None of these are quite that popular in the US though.

rti9 wrote:
Hare Hare Yukai's popularity is a consequence of Haruhi's fame rather than an internet phenomenon.

It is, but I would have to argue it is a meme and an internet phenomenon as well. Its popularity on the internet is huge. Plus it has spawned countless parody videos, which cannot be denied to be anything else but a meme. The same goes for Lucky Star OP.

whirlwindno1 wrote:
is this an example of a meme?...as this is a new thing to me, was completely baffled at what this nina comic was about this time. Of galaxy angel rune OP

It is. Although a very short lived one during GA Rune's TV run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9