• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From the TOKYOPOP Pilot Program Team, Paul Morrissey & Hope Donovan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:

Take a look at this link for a good, honest breakdown of the terms:

http://www.bradfox.com/blog/2008/05/bryan-lee-omalley-and-case-of-the-tokyopop-pilot-pandemonium/

thanks for that. the article and particularly the comments really helped my understanding.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Batman3777 wrote:

Take a look at this link for a good, honest breakdown of the terms:

http://www.bradfox.com/blog/2008/05/bryan-lee-omalley-and-case-of-the-tokyopop-pilot-pandemonium/

thanks for that. the article and particularly the comments really helped my understanding.

You're welcome. I like the comments section of that blog, too; people are asking him questions and he's actually RESPONDING to them! That way, you can see where he's getting his interpretations of the "pact.," and see what his logical progression is. Smile
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I note that they don't respond to the widespread criticism that (a) they wrote the contract in a hilariously unprofessional ludicrous down-wit'-the-kidz style in an effort to make it seem that Tokyopop would never rip you off because Tokyopop is your buddy Rolling Eyes , that (b) they not only expect anyone signing the contract to give up their moral rights but then go on to justify this by suggesting, in a casually racist manner, that moral rights aren't important because, uhm, they're a "fancy" French idea and that (c) their contracts are worse (according to half a dozen different comic artists and journalists) than those of any other company in the comics business.

Thank you. Now I don't have to type anything, since that covers exactly how I feel about the situation.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
This isn't meant to downplay peoples' concerns or their dislike of the contract in question. But consider this: TP is one of the few legit companies that is actually willing to give unproven talent a shot. It's no surprise that it comes with conditions.

From what I've seen, their contracts, however lopsided, aren't too different from various writing contests I used to see pitched when I was in college nearly 20 years ago. They are designed for two reasons: for the newbie creator, it could be your big break (and if so, itll happen more quickly than it would through most other methods), and for the company, it's a way to harvest useful intellectual property that they can profit from.

I can see your point, but here is the big flaw I see in this: They aren't really giving you a chance. They're not risking anything or in fact even offering anything to you in exchange for signing the contract. You don't get paid until you finish and they deem your work acceptable so what possible benefit is there to signing this deal? All you're doing is accepting a bunch of crappy conditions and in exchange they will look at your work and decide after it's done if it is good enough that they will hold up their end of the deal. You would be just as well off to sign no deal and work on your own to create something. Then once it's complete and you have a sample of your work to show it's quality you can try submitting it to various places. This way you now also have the option to negotiate and see if your work doesn't justify a better contract.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quote
I think TokyoPop is reasonable. They are not demanding further contract from the artists other than 30 page pilot. It's no different from regular publishing industry. From my observation, here's what most people in this post generally view: All businesses are evil, faceless, greedy entity that don't care about little guys. If that is the case, those "little guy" artists are self-centered, ego maniacs who think that their works deserve high price contract or prize despite of no experience.

Here is a company that is willing to shell out its money to test out unproven material, all we hear is whines and complaints. Can't stand those contract clauses? Then publish your own pilot manga on the internet and see how many hits you get within a month.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I think TokyoPop is reasonable. They are not demanding further contract from the artists other than 30 page pilot.

That is not so clear.

The terms are close to gibberish, but if they mean anything, they appear to mean that if tokyopop accepts your work, they acquire an option on another work on the same terms. Including that one.
tebalith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
This is not Tokyopop "responding to the comments", they're just repeating why they have the thing online and some vague stuff. Even if they say now they really meant this, the contract does not make it so clear, and it's the contract that people are expected to sign, and which will be the basis of their cooperation, not this statement. So either they go back and do some serious rewording, or they can say as much as they want, it won't matter.

My biggest problem is the language, especially the dismissive "oh, it's French, it's therefore stupid" part. I'm not really getting the impression of Tokyopop as an open-minded, internationally-focused company trying to also appeal to people outside of the USA. Seems more like they're conservative, xenophobic pricks who want to appeal to American, conservative, xenophobic pricks only. They really shouldn't have put that into the contract.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure they take out that part in their also skeevy French language contract. Though I'll bet the UK or German ones leave it in. Remember, they want nothing short of GLOBAL DESTRUCTION. "Manga will set us free."

Really, TokyoPop's marketing department needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

reanimator wrote:
Here is a company that is willing to shell out its money to test out unproven material, all we hear is whines and complaints. Can't stand those contract clauses? Then publish your own pilot manga on the internet and see how many hits you get within a month.

The US Army is willing to shell out its money to test out unproven material too. Yet I don't see you saying what a good deal it is to sign up and head for Iraq. Oh wait. There's that whole part of them owning you after you sign that contract. Same thing here. Lock, stock, and barrel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2