• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Close its Online Store in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
AmishGramish wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
On the flip side, Haruhi Suzumiya S2 is pretty darn cheap on their store now. Maybe Ill finally get it.

$25 for 5 episodes isn't considered cheap.

And Haruhi S2 is $26 for about 13 episodes. That's about $2 per episode.

I'm pretty sure Jello was taking a shot at the Endless Eight (in case you missed that). I agree though, I'd be buying it if I didn't already have that.

I went and checked out a lot of their stuff, and its some pretty good deals. Problem is, I already have everything from them that I want...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
No big loss, to be honest.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising in the least; other retailers such as Amazon, and even RACS, were offering most of the same things for less. However, I'm not worried about this decreasing their output of anime in the least. After all, they're backed by freaking Namco-Bandai, a huge game company. As long as that company pushes games (i.e. as long as there's a game industry), we get more anime.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So long as Bandai itself manages to hang in there (if for no other reason than their back catalog...their stuff probably comprises the majority of my DVD collection), I'm not losing much sleep over this. I don't think I ever would have gone out of my way to order from them directly while Amazon and RightStuf exist.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Needs moar Honneamise. I'm missing like two discs from their catalog.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Not surprising in the least; other retailers such as Amazon, and even RACS, were offering most of the same things for less. However, I'm not worried about this decreasing their output of anime in the least. After all, they're backed by freaking Namco-Bandai, a huge game company. As long as that company pushes games (i.e. as long as there's a game industry), we get more anime.

That didn't help Geneon, if Bandai Entertainment doesn't make money then why would Namco Bandai continue to pay the bills.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see this as any sign Bandai Entertainment's on its way out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder about their pre-orders...

1- When are they going to turn them off and stop allowing?
2- Will they just buy-off TRSI (or someone else) to fulfill them, or is everybody going to get a candygram telling them to go to the back of the line?
Lincolne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
all I hope is they mark down R.O.D. Half price and I will buy it
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
On the flip side, Haruhi Suzumiya S2 is pretty darn cheap on their store now. Maybe Ill finally get it.

Thanks for pointing that out! I was put out seeing it for $50 at Best Buy this past Sunday (did pick up Disappearance there for $20, though) so getting season 2 for $30 shipped is a major deal. Can't believe they're actually asking full season price knowing how much people hated Endless 8.

bglassbrook wrote:
I wonder about their pre-orders...

1- When are they going to turn them off and stop allowing?
2- Will they just buy-off TRSI (or someone else) to fulfill them, or is everybody going to get a candygram telling them to go to the back of the line?

They only have 3 open pre-orders right now and they all arrive before the store closes so it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't expect too many copies to linger around after the store closes, though.

I wonder what they'll do with their unsold stock. Keep an eye on Big Lots I guess.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TronBonne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
I can't say I have an opinion on this. The only time I ever placed an order with them was for the LE of Tales of the Abyss, but then Amazon.com had in in stock first....so I cancelled by order with Bandai. 0_o Guess I don't know how these things work, I always assumed the publisher would get the item first, but I guess not.
staab99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Make sure to use your b points to get a few bucks off from your purchase. Smile
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

That didn't help Geneon, if Bandai Entertainment doesn't make money then why would Namco Bandai continue to pay the bills.

Not to mention that Bandai has stated that all the company's divisions are treated as separate entities and have to fend for themselves.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
While I never did use the Bandai shop, I do feel bad for the people who pre-ordered and ordered from them recently. While I am sure Bandai will deliver any disks that are already on readily available, what happens to the pre-orders?

But I can't really say I am surprised though. Much cheaper to buy from Amazon than the Bandai shop to be honest. Used to be able to buy some anime reasonably priced at brick and mortar shops such as Best Buy and FYE, but both have cut back on their anime stock. Especially Best Buy.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Well just as long as they will still license new Gundam series or don't make them go out of print (if they haven't already) not much of a loss for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3