• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New My-Hime Project Begun in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
yay

more Mai series!!!

now bring on iDOLM@ster Xenoglossia!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote
Melbourne Mew Mew wrote:
If it's called My HiME Destiny, does that mean the main character from the original show is going to come in and take over, a la Kira Yamato?

This made me laugh. Very Happy
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Awesome news. More Mai-whatever is always good. I loved Mai-Hime, but haven't been all that impressed with Otome. Too much lesbian suggestiveness for my tastes. The wilderness survival episode comes to mind, where they basically come out and go, "Look! Everybody's GAY!". Rolling Eyes It was dumb and pointless.
Krzych Ayanami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
First TV, My-Hime was a nice anime - interesting persons, good story.
I liked that. I bought all DVD from Bandai. But My-Otome... One of the biggest craps I ever seen.

And now new anime.. That isn't good idea.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
OH NOOOOOOOOOO! It's the new 'Gundam' only with girls and moe!!!

I haven't even bought the first series yet. Damn, now I'm going to have to watch this one. I should sue for my arm being twisted. I just can't fight the temptation!!! My computer is filling up with damn fanart!! Godammit!!

Hahahaha!!!

Looks, like the guys at 'Sunrise' are on a roll now. They need that fanservice to keep their pockets lined. And as long as people buy it that's all that matters. They just keep making it.

Well, looks like another series I'll be checking out. Let's hope that they'll take time and create a coherent story. One that doesn't keep backtracking to earlier series causing massive brain hemorraging.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
While Shiho remains annoying no matter what.. Rolling Eyes
Finally something we disagree on Lord Psycho! Shiho in -Otome is actually quite entertaining with her complete insanity in my opinion. (Frankly I think any appreciation of Shiho is predicated on listening to her in English though. She's much more fun in English.)

Guess I'm another of those people who actually enjoys My-Otome. Maybe it's because I never went into it expecting My-Hime 2? I don't enjoy it as much as I did My-Hime though. There was just something special about Mai that made that series better than -Otome. It's the difference between a real-life drama with fantasy elements thrown in an a fantasy series with real-life drama thrown in.

I'm very happy to hear about a new project and like PantsGoblin I too am hoping for a full series. Hopefully with some "where are they now?" moments with the original characters. (I do like -Otome but I miss the -Hime versions of the characters too.)

I'd like to think I've played a small part in helping to make this possible by buying the R1 DVDs. Hopefully, Bandai Entertainment will keep the licensing coming and thus complete the cycle of anime life.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I'm quite happy with the news, but I hope that the new series will be in the same vein as -HiME than the mess that was -Otome, meaning a better developed and more likeable cast of characters facing realistic issues. I also hope that they don't go overboard with the shoujo-ai fanservice that marred the early episodes of -Otome as well.
Don't expect it to be any different from "Mai- Otome", there's reason to believe that the yuri overtones will probably remain intact even if there is a comepletely different storyline.
clsnwbrdr616

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Like someone else said, please be a full length series and not another OVA. In any case, I'm very excited at the news. I love all the HiME series.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well this is good news. From what I have seen the My series seem to do well by me. They are certainly are of a higher quality than most of the stuff coming as of late.

Count me as another that liked My-Otome. To be fair I have only watched through the 5th DVD, but I can't see my opinion changing that much. I guess I can probably agree that the storyline was better with HiME, but Otome has much better entertainment value, and overall doesn't have awkward moments when it's trying to be something more than it is. That's not to say I didn't enjoy HiME, because I did.

I also don't get what people are saying with the whole shoujo-ai thing. True, Otome has a larger cast of characters who exhibit such behavior, but HiME was much more explicit by comparison.

Richard J. wrote:
Maybe it's because I never went into it expecting My-Hime 2?

Exactly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedOctober

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Terrific news! I love every single product of the Mai franchise, but I slightly like Hime better because of the main charater (Mai), that is my favorite character ever Anime catgrin
The lesbian thing is a big no no for me, though. Sad
Yeah, in Hime there was a yuri couple, but yuriness wasn't the main drive of Hime, as it was in Otome. And I feel it was there mainly for fanservice...
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
While I also didn't appreciate the more fanservicey nature of Otome, I thought Otome was overall a better show, even though it did take a bit longer to get going. Zwei was kinda disappointing and fluffy, mostly comedy and the girls just fighting a new enemy for old times sake sorta thing. It didn't add much to the series besides showing the state of the world a few months later. I haven't seen the prequel yet but it looks interesting.

As for the new project, I hope it's something new not directly related to HiME or Otome, but I certainly hope to see some familiar faces again. It should be good, everything from the franchise has so far been enjoyable.

I wonder if this is related to Mai HiME Destiny." The uniform doesn't look familiar at all, but things could change: My Otome was originally called Mai Star MAiD (the "star" was an actual star but it was part of the name). Also, somewhat unrelated, I don't know how true this is, but supposedly Otome was originally going to be made before HiME.
I also remember hearing that there three HiME project originally planned. If that's true, this is the third and final one possibly?
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed the charachters in My-Hime more but the ending really pissed me off. I much prefer the ending in Otome to what they pulled in Hime.

As far as what people are mentioning in Otome about lesbian aspects pfft. I mean they flirt a bit more thats about it.

spoiler[I mean My-Hime freaking had Shizuru taking advantage of an unconsious natsuki, in Otome they just replaced that with some role playing which made me pause the TV and say WTF just happened in there. Plus don't forget all the implied stuff between Haruka and Yukina in Hime. PLUS all the dvd specials for My-Hime which were far racier then the stuff in Otome.]
Theachan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's Mai Hime Destiny, but the main character is named Mao? So chances are low :l Unless they just renamed her :3
radtrad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I for one wouldn't mind more shoujo-ai provided that -

1.) it had an actual meaningful and rational relationship rather than fanservice;

2.) it was Mai and Natsuki instead of the absurd Natsuki and Shizuru (I wanted them to fall in love and fight evil together from more or less the start of HiME);

Am I alone in these things?
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[I mean My-Hime freaking had Shizuru taking advantage of an unconsious natsuki, in Otome they just replaced that with some role playing which made me pause the TV and say WTF just happened in there.]

Yeah, but at least that had something to do with the plot in Hime. In Otome it's nothing but useless fanservice. Of course, I'm not a yuri fan to being with, but I can tolerate elements of it if it's part of the plot and not just to get fanboys aroused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3