• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New My-Hime Project Begun in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluegreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[I mean My-Hime freaking had Shizuru taking advantage of an unconsious natsuki, in Otome they just replaced that with some role playing which made me pause the TV and say WTF just happened in there.]

Yeah, but at least that had something to do with the plot in Hime. In Otome it's nothing but useless fanservice. Of course, I'm not a yuri fan to being with, but I can tolerate elements of it if it's part of the plot and not just to get fanboys aroused.
Im not so sure about this. I seem to recall a under wear thief Orphan in Mai-HiME as well as an episode where the HiMEs get wasted and start cosplaying in revealing clothing. And lets not forget those HiME Omakes at the end of each episode. Sure, perhaps Otome did have more fanservice but HiME didn't exactly shy away from it either. It's pretty much one of the corner stones of the franchise. Either way, one thing I can say for certain is thank god hime AND otome never got as bad as their respective mangas. Talk about fanservice overkill....
RedOctober

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
radtrad wrote:
I for one wouldn't mind more shoujo-ai provided that -

1.) it had an actual meaningful and rational relationship rather than fanservice;

2.) it was Mai and Natsuki instead of the absurd Natsuki and Shizuru (I wanted them to fall in love and fight evil together from more or less the start of HiME);

Am I alone in these things?

Nope! Me too I was looking forward to something like this.
Or maybe Natsuki with that little devil of Nao.

When it was revealed to be Shizuru I was like "WTF!?!?".
That couple has a crapload of fans, but I find it a bit uncanny.

But then, yes, whatever couple would be ok instead of all of those pantie shots.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Im not so sure about this. I seem to recall a under wear thief Orphan in Mai-HiME as well as an episode where the HiMEs get wasted and start cosplaying in revealing clothing.

Oh yes, there's definitely fanservice in Hime. I was strictly referring to the yuri elements in my comment. In Hime, it was part of the plot; in Otome, it's just there to titillate.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed in Otome, but I'm still happy to hear there will be a new Mai-* series. I hope they are able to get Yuki Kajiura to do the soundtrack, but I'm worried as she was not involved with S.ifr.

bahamut623 wrote:
While I also didn't appreciate the more fanservicey nature of Otome, I thought Otome was overall a better show, even though it did take a bit longer to get going. Zwei was kinda disappointing and fluffy, mostly comedy and the girls just fighting a new enemy for old times sake sorta thing. It didn't add much to the series besides showing the state of the world a few months later. I haven't seen the prequel yet but it looks interesting.

I liked the first episode of S.ifr more than any of Otome TV or Zwei despite it being rather rushed. It was largely due actually liking the characters, rather than in Otome TV where I simply had to try to tolerate Arika and Mashiro (and later, Nina).

bahamut623 wrote:

I wonder if this is related to Mai HiME Destiny." The uniform doesn't look familiar at all, but things could change: My Otome was originally called Mai Star MAiD (the "star" was an actual star but it was part of the name).

Yeah, Otome's name changed between the initial announcement and when it finally aired, and I think the plot may have as well. Or maybe the initial tidbits were accurate but simply implied something different.

bahamut623 wrote:
Also, somewhat unrelated, I don't know how true this is, but supposedly Otome was originally going to be made before HiME.

A load of BS unless you can find an interview with someone important at Sunrise proving otherwise. And I'd be quite surprised if such proof existed.

bahamut623 wrote:
I also remember hearing that there three HiME project originally planned. If that's true, this is the third and final one possibly?

Yes, HiME was a multi-part project (probably three) but all of that was done at the same time. The other parts were not more Mai-* anime but the Mai-HiME manga and visual novel. All had a similar cast (though each had some exclusive characters) and similar premise but went very different directions.

Mai Otome and this new series are not part of that HiME project.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I'm quite happy with the news, but I hope that the new series will be in the same vein as -HiME than the mess that was -Otome, meaning a better developed and more likeable cast of characters facing realistic issues.

..I don't know what its like where you live, but I can't remember any of the girls in my high school having to battle with giant beasts to save the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I'm quite happy with the news, but I hope that the new series will be in the same vein as -HiME than the mess that was -Otome, meaning a better developed and more likeable cast of characters facing realistic issues.

..I don't know what its like where you live, but I can't remember any of the girls in my high school having to battle with giant beasts to save the world.

More News, Ladies and Gentlemen, both the New Series and Original HiME sequel are in the works. I will tell you guys briefly as time goes by, both of them will come by 2009 and 2010. (One more advice) That Mai HiME was fake and premiered in Mai-Otome in the DVD, they haven't given up yet on it and they are gonna add new scenes to original sequel as well and possibly it could be a 52 episode series as well.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:

More News, Ladies and Gentlemen, both the New Series and Original HiME sequel are in the works. I will tell you guys briefly as time goes by, both of them will come by 2009 and 2010. (One more advice) That Mai HiME was fake and premiered in Mai-Otome in the DVD, they haven't given up yet on it and they are gonna add new scenes to original sequel as well and possibly it could be a 52 episode series as well.

Rumors escalting that Mai HiME manga could return as soon as possible well and rumors still can speculate of an HiME Sequel is in the works as for the new series.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:

BlackJaded wrote:
Rumors escalting that Mai HiME manga could return as soon as possible well and rumors still can speculate of an HiME Sequel is in the works as for the new series.

Maybe you should get a source and submit this to ANN's staff? A lot more people will see it that way.

EDIT: The reason I say this is because this thread is a year old.

Last edited by Ai no Kareshi on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Eh, as long as there's Nao in some form I'll be happy. I was actually just skimming over Otome Zwei the other night, and I thought it was better than how I first remember it. Sif.r wasn't bad, but it was a bit... weird, even for the Mai series. I wouldn't mind an Otome prequel from Shizuru, Natsuki and Mai's time in the Academy up until Otome though.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I also hope that they don't go overboard with the shoujo-ai fanservice that marred the early episodes of -Otome as well.

How is this EVER a bad thing?

bluegreen wrote:
I guess I'm one of the few who liked Otome more huh? lol

No way, I absolutely adored Otome. I liked Mai more than Otome's lead, but other than that I thought it was complete win. Plus the s.ifr OVA is amazing and still has some of my favorite fight scenes in anime--particularly near the end of the first episode.

Anyway, here's hoping for more shoujo-ai (don't think I'll have to worry there xD), more action, and a full-length series. *_* Can't wait~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I also hope that they don't go overboard with the shoujo-ai fanservice that marred the early episodes of -Otome as well.

bluegreen wrote:

No way, I absolutely adored Otome. I liked Mai more than Otome's lead, but other than that I thought it was complete win. Plus the s.ifr OVA is amazing and still has some of my favorite fight scenes in anime--particularly near the end of the first episode.

Anyway, here's hoping for more shoujo-ai (don't think I'll have to worry there xD), more action, and a full-length series. *_* Can't wait~

Well I hoping in the next series that it will give us alot of sense for the series. I just hope they give us what we want instead of showing more crap day by day.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:

bluegreen wrote:

Well I hoping in the next series that it will give us alot of sense for the series. I just hope they give us what we want instead of showing more crap day by day.

Rumors are close to confirmation that an original Mai HiME is in the works and the new series will come later of next year. So keep in touch for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3