• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-30]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
What, no Sexy Losers web comic? I generally like it, because it's a geeky, but not pretentious, spoof of the fan-service cliches common in anime and manga.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I really look forward to the next Hey Answerfans answers cause I think I'm experiencing the same thing.

Love that picture. Razz
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
humm I've been into anime for some 6 years now, and I cant say I've had a burnout. Im starting to get to that point though I think. Im starting to feel a bit too old, and like I dont share the mindset of other fans anymore who are outside of my circle.

Also, anime really isn't as exciting for me as it used to be, but occasionally I'll get that excitment like i used to have when I first was introduced to it. But I stick with it because i still love it, and I love the anime fan community in general, and when I stop loving it, I'll probably move on from the level of involvement I have.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Wildarmsheero? That Wildarmsheero? Well I knew he was a huge lolicon but I didn't know he had a web comic (although I've heard of this web comic, I just didn't know he made it). His comic is actually pretty funny looking at a few of the strips. I'm not really much into web comics though.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
I got over my burnout by playing World of Warcraft. Now that I burned out on that, I've picked up anime again. When I burn out on anime, I'll go back to WoW. I'm not sure which one is worse. Anime is definitely more expensive... But WoW becomes a timesink, and hours can pass without me really noticing. And I can go to bed at a decent time with anime, but WoW can keep me up til 3.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Wildarmsheero? That Wildarmsheero? Well I knew he was a huge lolicon but I didn't know he had a web comic (although I've heard of this web comic, I just didn't know he made it). His comic is actually pretty funny looking at a few of the strips. I'm not really much into web comics though.

Heh, I guess that explains zac's comment about the writer hating his guts.

On another note, I have to say that these week's flake seemed less flakey than usual, for some reason. At least to me.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Mistakes of Youth is really making my head hurt yet I can't stop reading, birds of a feather flock together, who doesn't love Roy Mustang, slurp indeed, and one episode a day until you're ready to start power-watching again.

I just finished Mistakes of Youth... wildarmsheero scares me. a lot.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I've somewhat enjoyed Mistakes of Youth, but more often than not, it's just a bunch of crazy reaction panels, ala FLCL, minus funny.

Burnout is something I've experienced a few times, but I tend to space out my anime viewing out well enough not to, usually. I don't watch any more than a few hours of anime a week at the most.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Im starting to get to that point though I think. Im starting to feel a bit too old, and like I don't share the mindset of other fans anymore who are outside of my circle.

Me too. I was at Anime North and was like "High School Kids...oh boy" (I'm in uni). But then I just spent time at 18+ Yaoi North and I was okay again Smile

I have cycles where I don't feel like watching anime, but that's just because I am not in the right mood, like too tired and I want to have my full attention on anime. I often use anime as a bribe for myself like "no anime until you write this paper" or something. But no interesting burn-out stores noooo..
kureshii

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
My episode cap used to be at 3, but after watching a few sleeper hits it is now 5. If a series turns me off by ep 3 I drop it, if it fails to captivate to some degree by ep 5 I drop it too. There are exceptions, for instance highly recommended series, or those that are part of an anthology (Gundam ZZ started getting better only halfway through).

I think I may be getting anime burnout, and it's coming from downloading fansubs too quickly without being able to find time for them. After a while it grows to a huge backlog and just thinking about it kinda tires me out (zOMG, there's 500++ eps of anime waiting after this series...).

The cure? Find something I'm really looking forward to, and watch it. Or start working on that backlog. But I think this is more of a prevention issue, and the main way to prevent it is to stop watching bad anime that isn't worth the time.
AF-Koopaking

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
yes!! My second time getting featured on Hey Answerfans!! (third response down) I haven't had an "anime burnout" so I won't be replying to this week's question...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
but more often than not, it's just a bunch of crazy reaction panels

You sure you were reading the same comic as me? 99% of the jokes there were "in-jokes" and anime references, they weren't just "crazy reaction panels" (and the ones that were, were more often than not a parody of some anime). I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, probably because I could relate to so many of them... I can't say much for his artwork though.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever had burnout per se (then again I've only been a fan for 4.5 years, so maybe it's too soon), but there have been a few times when I thought "man, I've downloaded/bought all the shows out there I might be interested in, what am I going to do after I've done with them?" Then I realize how foolish I am for thinking that there is never going to be another good production, and sure enough, I always find one.

Most recently, I think I had a slight slump in enthusiasm last September. Then ANN put up its TTGL skin, and I was cured Laughing
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Hm... I'll have to send in a response this week. I'm actually in the middle of a burnout... probably been going for over a year now... will have to see if I can form a coherent letter.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
About burnout: when I got other things I could do with my time now, not just eat-study-sleep. Laughing
(Then I got a lot more selective with my time and don't mind if I miss a series or few.)

Answerman wrote:

But then there are a lot of folks who aren't fans, and that they work with anime for a living is coincidental. Smart companies hire people with the right skills, not simply because they like Japanese cartoons a whole lot. And those people tend to not really show up in public to things like conventions, nor do they deal directly with the fans.

S'why we don't see fan favorite Steve Blum / David Lucas much. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4