• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertigo Entertainment Developing U.S. Death Note Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
From Dark Horizons:

Right now though he's looking for darker parts - "There are so many good directors that I'd love to work with. Zack Snyder would be fun! And Martin Scorsese, Gus van Sant... those kind of guys."

So if anyone knows how to stalk and harass, er contact him, now you can make him being L a reality.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Footloose remake?

GAH.

Thanks a lot, Gatsu.

o_o but er...that picture of Zac does reek Light Yagami for some reason. I wish I knew why.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
Zac Effron...as Light...if that happened, I would probably alternate between laughing and crying myself to sleep. Ok, he's got Light's hair, really, that's about it. I seriously doubt he could play a self-deluded, mass murdering genius sociopath, and even if he actually could, I still wouldn't be able to take him seriously. But hey, it might be worth it, just for the laughs I'd get it out of it.

On a serious note, I think this movie could go either way - it certainly has the potential to be excellent, but whether or not it'll reach that potential is questionable at best. It could very easily bomb if they don't take it seriously. Either way, I'm sure it'll be entertaining Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
Rhymes:
Quote:
I seriously doubt he could play a self-deluded, mass murdering genius sociopath, and even if he actually could, I still wouldn't be able to take him seriously.

You gotta remember that part of the reason Light's able to get away with his crimes is because of his effective goody two-shoes act. So Effron might be able to play that same nice guy image which lulls you into a false sense of security.
ADD433

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Is anybody actually looking forward to this? I'm not saying that it'll be brilliant. I'm just saying I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll do. I'm not an anime/manga-holic, so I really don't know what American movies were originally Japanese or whether they were better or worse in comparison.

But yesterday and today I watched the first Japanese movie of Death Note, and it was something that I was embarassed to be watching. The acting wasn't that good, the lighting was all exactly the same which made it look like a home movie, and the dramatic camera angles made me turn around to see if someone was there watching me watch it. This is all my opinion, and if the American version is better than that, I'll be relieved. I'm wondering: Did someone here think it was good? I'm not going to go bashing it, but it really surprises me that it made so much money. Compared to all of the movies I've seen, this was very badly done. I think Narnia was better.

Somehow it's made me hopeful that the American version will be alright. Can they really do as badly as the Japanese version?
starlight116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
first I love the anime and Manga. ALso love The 2 movies because Essence of the Story. Well Now the America Version They Said Zack I heard In other Source In Spanish that They Going to Have jesse Spender from House another Site Said chance Crawford. Well Zack i think he look like Light but the Dark Part of Light the crazy part i think mAy be could pull off may not. That What i am Scare off. Jesse Spencer he Could do it but they have to change to University like Japan Movie did because he doesn't look High School. well Chance He could do it. I think all them can do it but the only Problem i have that they have to cast a perfect light and a perfect L is Not it will be Bad
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
If the trailer looks like it's close to the manga, I'll give it a chance.
But odds are it'll be Dragon Ball all over again.
starlight116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
What trailer
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
So you guys know L Change the World is not the movie that this thread is talking about. That is the movie that will showing for two days time here in the States real soon. But like I said it is not the movie that the article connected to this thread is talking about.
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I only care who will get the role of L. About ~700 fans have signed the petition to cast KENICHI MATSUYAMA as L : http://www.petitiononline.com/L1985/petition.html

I'll be ecstatic! if Hollywood lets Ken play L !

tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Er...NO.

As much as I like Kenichi Matsuyma as his portrayal of L in the 2 live action movies previously, I don't feel that it's seriously necessary that he get cast in the American remake.

Or we can get the whole original Japanese cast, make them learn English, and then have them cast in the US movie. I'm sure that'll be fair and soooo much better. *rolls eyes.*

This thread is like...over 6 months old...why is it being revived for crap again?
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Or we can get the whole original Japanese cast, make them learn English, and then have them cast in the US movie. I'm sure that'll be fair and soooo much better. *rolls eyes.*

Again as being said many times here and elsewhere, language is only a minor barrier. Don't hold that against the cast. Look at "Memoirs of a Geisha" for example.
A whole Japanese cast is not necessary because I want to see a new Light, Misa, Watari.... and Near! Cool

Quote:
This thread is like...over 6 months old...why is it being revived for crap again?

It is my courtesy NOT to flood this forum with similar threads.
If you don't like it, why replied?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
TenkenSmile wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Again as being said many times here and elsewhere, language is only a minor barrier. Don't hold that against the cast. Look at "Memoirs of a Geisha" for example.
A whole Japanese cast is not necessary because I want to see a new Light, Misa, Watari.... and Near! Cool

Memoirs of a Geshia was a US film. I have no idea what you speak of. The only movie I could think of which possibly fits your point of is The Grudge, which I only give partial credit because the remake was still set in Japan. I believe Kayako was the same actress in the original movie...or sequel, I forgot. Though she wasn't really getting any speaking roles in that one.. >_>;

They pulled it off pretty well in Star Trek, though (Spock, anyone?), or so I hear.

I've seen so many Tomie movies where the original character is played by different female actresses. Though I have to say, I like the first Tomie, it's interesting to see others fulfill the role of her character. If you haven't heard of Tomie, take a look of it on Wiki.

I feel that there's no point of casting ONE character in the US remake of the movie. I just personally feel that this isn't one of these movies I would want the original actor to be in, and he did fine in the last 3 movies he was in, but meh, moving on.

TenkenSmile wrote:

It is my courtesy NOT to flood this forum with similar threads.
If you don't like it, why replied?

I can reply, and it's my courtesy to do so, o say what I wanted to say. That and I dislike petitions that pertain to something like this. =P

And once again, usually, there is a time limit with threads being old before they lock it.
Stealthbreed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Okay, I pretty much made an account just to say this.

It's absurd to choose an actor simply based on appearances. It's apparent to me that most people who want Efron to play Light are simply interested in the kick of nostalgia (for lack of a better term) of seeing someone who looks like Light actually play him. When they see his performance as Light, they'll complain just like the rest of us.

Besides, make-up can easily make anyone look like Light. The point is to find a good actor to fit the role. Have you ever seen Efron's other stuff (or lack thereof)? He's just a bland pretty-boy used as eye candy for teenage girls.

I'm not a fan of anime in general, but I thought Death Note was an absolute masterpiece. The live action movies were pretty good, too... no, they didn't stay true to the manga/anime, but I don't see why people obsess so much over that. I think Light is one of the best villains of any story, and that this is central to why Death Note is so good. Does Zac Efron come off as a clever, albeit mad genius with a strong sense of justice and a thirst for power? No. Does he have the acting skills or experience to play a character that needs to be played near perfectly to maintain the essence of Death Note? Clearly not. These issues are far more important than whether or not Efron's hair is similar to Light's.

But all of this is irrelevant, because, as far as I've seen, the whole Zac Efron/Light thing is just a massive rumor on the internet. So I'm not too worried. I don't think they'd make such a bad casting choice.

Just my two cents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8