• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertigo Entertainment Developing U.S. Death Note Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I did NOT see this coming.

I have low hopes for this because the majority of the US renditions of J-films sucked IMO.

I'll watch it anyway. Deathnote. I like Deathnote.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
braves wrote:
Just wait for the fanboy's outcry about how this movie will suck.

Nebs wrote:
Zac Effron IS Kira:

http://zacefroniskira.com/

Heh, at least he looks the part.

I cringed at the fact that it's true but agh...

Meh, I've never seen him act, because he hasn't exactly been in movies that have caught my attention, but looking the part is half of the job. He only looks like "nice" Light, though. I wonder if he can pull off "evil" Light, which actually requires some solid acting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say so much "solid" as "ridiculously, absurdly over-the-top," but whatever. It'll be rather amusing to see what comes of this. Razz
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait..........why are people saying Zac Effron will be in it? The new article said nothing on Zac Effron. Is he frequently cast in these types of films or something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
oooh they're doing a remake of The Host too!

It was bound to happen eventually. I gave it a 99% chance when I started reading DN a few years ago. I wouldn't mind a prime time series instead with all new stories about the death note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
ryusaki wrote:
braves wrote:
Just wait for the fanboy's outcry about how this movie will suck.

Nebs wrote:
Zac Effron IS Kira:

http://zacefroniskira.com/

Heh, at least he looks the part.

I cringed at the fact that it's true but agh...

Meh, I've never seen him act, because he hasn't exactly been in movies that have caught my attention, but looking the part is half of the job. He only looks like "nice" Light, though. I wonder if he can pull off "evil" Light, which actually requires some solid acting.

Not to mention playing such a role would do a number on his Disney-manufactured image....

He certainly looks the part, though I wouldn't be surprised if they casted another pretty boy for L, giving him a goth-like look. Casting would probably have a field day with the roles, but the whole concept of Death Note could make a compelling American remake, given that it is well-acted, -written, and -directed. Unfortunately, that never seems to converge for many Japanese-->American productions or other works from around the world. Often, the original nuances and stylings get lost either in the production or translation and too much localization or alterations can ruin it. Sometimes it's avoidable and other times it's nearly impossible (chiefly, references or aspects rooted in the native culture of the original's setting). I don't think that much of this would be the case with DN, as its core plot features a relatively simple story (despite the wild machinations) that could take place in nearly any culture or country.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
miggie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Wil Wheaton should be L.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Sam:
Quote:

Not to mention playing such a role would do a number on his Disney-manufactured image....

That's sort of the point. Being a Disney-bot for the rest of your life is always bad for your career. Just look at Haley Joel Osment.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I wouldn't say so much "solid" as "ridiculously, absurdly over-the-top," but whatever.

What? You don't think that it takes some solid acting to be that way? Wink

RogueJedi86 wrote:
Wait..........why are people saying Zac Effron will be in it? The new article said nothing on Zac Effron. Is he frequently cast in these types of films or something?

Nah, he just looks the part.

Sam Murai wrote:
He certainly looks the part, though I wouldn't be surprised if they casted another pretty boy for L, giving him a goth-like look.

Yeah, I guess that's how it'll go with L as well. They better keep Brian Drummond for Ryuk's voice, though.

I'm really wondering how they'll cast Near (if they get that far into the story). Are they going to cast a kid for that part? And what about Mello? I haven't seen the Death Note films from Japan so I don't have a reference on how they casted those roles. There are so many possibilities on how this can go wrong, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see a trailer, which may be for quite a while.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
David Fincher please.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
CUE. MASSIVE. DRAMA.

I am of the opinion that Light should be adapted so that it sounds like some kind of European but plausible name that sounds the same. Also, it's idiotic to expect that all the characters will remain Japanese, and there's not much terribly lost from that.

The response to the original live actions movies was so mixed (Excellent! Terrible! True to the spirit of the original! Changes totally changed the product! Fujiwara Tatsuya rocks! Fujiwara Tatsuya sucks (and is ugly)!) that I'm pretty much going to filter out EVERY SINGLE this-will-rock and this-will-suck and judge this movie SOLELY ON THE MOVIE ITSELF (or maybe the trailers hehehe) WHEN IT COMES OUT. I say that if you have expectations, sometimes they can shaped your ultimate perception despite the objects merits or lack thereof.

(but I vote for Zac Efron, if he can learn to act. ._. Let's all spam Vertigo to cast him.)
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
miggie wrote:
Wil Wheaton should be L.

I say Giuseppe Andrews.
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
*facepalms*
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Grrr. I had wanted to film a Death Note spinoff short on my own and now Hollywood blasts the idea from my mind. Well, I can't say I'm surprised what with Death Note's popularity worldwide and all. Could be good could be bad, anything could happen but I'm sure DVD sales for the series will probably increase because of this press and when the film's released.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the point of an adaption, other than to exploit a property for money. Death Note worked wonderfully as a comic. Why even bother making it into a movie if it'll never measure up?

Also, I'm a bit afraid that Death Note will be turned into a horror movie. While the original had horrific elements it was a thriller at its heart. Turning it into this scarefest would be sorta besides the point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8