• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertigo Entertainment Developing U.S. Death Note Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Captain-Bravo wrote:
I don't mind a series like DB having a movie but Death note? Why would they even consider doing something like this? I mean I know Death note has risen in popularity in the US but I don't think they should go and start a movie just because of that.

I don't know, I actually think of Death Note as a more "movie-able" franchise than DBZ. The length of the story and the cast size seem much better fit to something movie-size than DBZ's dozens of story arcs and small city's worth of characters.

And to those worrying about if a US movie will get it totally wrong . . . so what? With any luck it'll get more people interested in the source material, and reading that, too.

People seem so worried about all the US adaptations lately, but it's the most sure-fire way to get Americans interested in manga. Even if only one out of every thousand people who watch the movie investigate the comic/show . . . well, that's still one more! :[)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Neko:
Quote:
And to those worrying about if a US movie will get it totally wrong . . . so what? With any luck it'll get more people interested in the source material, and reading that, too.

Does anyone read Tank Girl or Judge Dredd? Rolling Eyes
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
o.o so, why is there a remake when there is already a live action remake...

This is funny, actually, because I was at the NYC bookstore and I realized that "One Missed Call" was a remake of a Japanese movie.

Don't be surprised if you see a sequel in the US. >.>;

Don't worry Neko, I already made that point earlier in another thread And Gatsu is making really awful examples. >.>; His viewpoint is totally wrong in this case. =P
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Geez, everyone sure does love milking Death Note for all it's worth, do they?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sam:
Quote:

Not to mention playing such a role would do a number on his Disney-manufactured image....

That's sort of the point. Being a Disney-bot for the rest of your life is always bad for your career. Just look at Haley Joel Osment.

I know, and that's why I (jokingly) made that note. Disney likes to keep a tight leash on their human money dolls and want to milk everything they can out of them. A heartthrob like Effron playing a complete douchebag like Light would kill his image ten times over. If he really wanted to go that route, auditioning for the role would certainly be one way of doing it. At least Shia Lebouf knew when to get out (though he's taking a slower pace by staying in the realm of older teenager-attracting films).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bobber205

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I hope this movie fails and sucks hard as to prevent anymore movies based on anime ever being made out of Hollywood.

My worst fear is that someday Hollywood will give Gundam the transformers treatment.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
bobber205 wrote:
I hope this movie fails and sucks hard as to prevent anymore movies based on anime ever being made out of Hollywood.

My worst fear is that someday Hollywood will give Gundam the transformers treatment.

Now why would you wish that?

Granted, Hollywood's pretty hit-or-miss, emphasis on "miss", but you shouldn't say "DON'T DO THAT" just 'cause it's Hollywood.

Besides, Catwoman/Daredevil/Elektra didn't kill superhero movies. Hell, even Hulk's being given a second chance. Just because a small handful of a genre disappoints doesn't kill a genre.

Japanese comics are an adaptation source just beginning to be tapped. Sure, most may end up mediocre, but there's always the chance we'll get something Iron Man-level rockin'.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
-_-;; Why even bother to ask him?
Death-T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I worry the most about L and Ryuk. They could either totally ruin both of em' or nail em'. Man, they sure did pick a crappy time to do this to. Just when VIZ is localizing the original Japanese films with English dubs.
Kisa Tsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I kind of want to and don't want to see the U.S. remake at the same time. Most of the remakes I have seen have been er... not very good. And with Death Note being as popular as it is I don't want to see them ruin it. I also am very interested to see who they would pick to play the characters and how they would deal with the plot of the story.

Plus it would bring in a new wave of fans who just "jump on the bandwagon" Im not saying thats a bad thing, because if they liked the movie then maybe they would be willing enough to actually research the series and realize that it's not an american movie. I hear that one alot about asian movies that have been remade.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Death-T wrote:
Man, they sure did pick a crappy time to do this to. Just when VIZ is localizing the original Japanese films with English dubs.

You do know that it will be at least a year, probably two, before this movie ever gets to theatres. If the script isn't even written yet, then there are a LONG way from getting anything more done.

And honestly, them releasing the Japanese films will have absolutely no affect on the majority of moviegoers. People who were already fans of the series will go see both, but most will have never heard of it.

For all intents and purposes, the two could probably be considered completely different projects with the barest bones of connection.
Death-T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Death-T wrote:
Man, they sure did pick a crappy time to do this to. Just when VIZ is localizing the original Japanese films with English dubs.

You do know that it will be at least a year, probably two, before this movie ever gets to theatres. If the script isn't even written yet, then there are a LONG way from getting anything more done.

And honestly, them releasing the Japanese films will have absolutely no affect on the majority of moviegoers. People who were already fans of the series will go see both, but most will have never heard of it.

For all intents and purposes, the two could probably be considered completely different projects with the barest bones of connection.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Still, I hope the film is accurate and uses the original names/keeps the original character personalities. (L and Ryuk in particular) Maybe VIZ Media can make a deal with em't to at least use the original names, for localization purposes.

Even if it doesn't come out for another couple years, and the audience doesn't know about the manga, it will still carry the Death Note title and anime fans will recognize that. I don't beleive a popular Shonen Jump series has been in the exact same situation.

Hmm... I'm still waiting to see how the live action DBZ movie will be advertised in Shonen Jump and if/at all by FUNi when the time comes. =P
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Death-T wrote:
[Maybe VIZ Media can make a deal with em't to at least use the original names, for localization purposes.

You mean maybe the actual copyright holders can do that. Viz doesn't own Death Note, they just have the rights to translate it (and you can't own a translated term, especially not a name).
bobber205

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know I feel so strongly, I just do. I suppose if it was given the Superman treatment it might be ok.
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit...i did kinda see this coming. I was tryin to think of who would be a good Yagami Light and I found this dude's myspace...

www.myspace.com/boku_wa_kira

Seemed like he might be the closest I've found with regards to looking like light would in real life...i dunno, what do you guys think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8