• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertigo Entertainment Developing U.S. Death Note Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Looks good.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Now that I think about it, how does that company still get projects, after The Grudge sequel disappointed, and My Sassy Girl went straight-to-video?

Much like how the Wachowski brothers will get jobs after Speed Racer; because they will.

Still, the main cocnern I have is: Will it focus primarily on how Light tries to defeat L, or will it encompass the entire storyline? Will there be separate movies to deal with Near if the latter is hinted at??
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Those pics of Effron as Light were great. I feel he can actually pull off that charcter and have the real hairstyle.

Anyway, I think this is easy for them to work with Death Note. I doubt it will be as good, but it should be a better attempt than other anime remakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Visceria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
GoldenAvenger7 wrote:
I have to admit...i did kinda see this coming. I was tryin to think of who would be a good Yagami Light and I found this dude's myspace...

www.myspace.com/boku_wa_kira

Seemed like he might be the closest I've found with regards to looking like light would in real life...i dunno, what do you guys think?

Zac Efron objects! XP

Hehe, seriously, though, I'm sure they'll have no problem getting an actual actor for the role. Casting calls, even on the most low-budget of movies, are big. It's not like Hollywood has a shortage of young, male aspiring actors. Anime hyper
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny. A lot of you are saying that you saw this one coming a mile a way but honestly this was totally unexpected for me. Anime smile + sweatdrop I guess I just figured no one would see the need for it considering how there's already a live action trilogy for it.......

Well I'm sure it'll be a good movie, and it sounds like they've got the right people for it. Although at the same time it almost sounds like this could come off as one of those underground horror movies, I'm just not sure if anyone else could capture the feel of the series the same way as a horror movie production company could. Of course given the premise and also given how this'll be something different for them this could be more successful then one would think. What's even more alluring is that this may very well be the first ever PG-13 movie any of those companies has ever produced! Laughing
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that DN would make a good american made adaptation film. I just think it has the kind of interesting storyline that could appeal to a wide audience, but i think itd have to be done right, and well I dunno. It might be? >.>
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Death-T wrote:
I hope the film is accurate and uses the original names/keeps the original character personalities. (L and Ryuk in particular) Maybe VIZ Media can make a deal with em't to at least use the original names, for localization purposes.

L is a code name, so I don't see why they have to change it. Ryuk is not a human, so they can probably still keep this name too. But for sure, they won't keep the term Shinigami. .... probably change it to Grim Reaper........... which i think it could be better actually.

I have a feeling that they will change the name of Light though........ they would probably change it to a name that sounds similar to that or start with L.

It seems that a lot of people on this forum is against the idea of Hollywood ;I've adaptation of anime or manga. Personally, I think its a good idea. Any forms of anime and manga exposure to the general public is definitely a positive thing to the industry. Don't you guys want to see anime and manga getting the same treatment and respect as Spiderman, Batman and other Western comics? I mean, even if the movie is bad, it will only bring people attention to the originals. It won't bring bad name to the originals. Look at the first Hulk movie, look at Daredevil, etc.....

Then again, there will always be someone who thinks enjoying a hobby that no one else knows about is cooler than loving something that everyone likes.
bobber205

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I think a crappy adaption/movie will do as much to harm the industry by spreading the thought that anime is poorly-done/for kids then bring more fans into the fold.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Could be good, could be bad. Death Note has a rather delicate balance that has to be kept. If they manage to keep it, this will rock. If they don't manage, we can forget that it happened. Still, if they do a remake, I hope they go all out. I hope they give the characters distinct career-making personalities instead of trying to emulate Japanese personalities in a Western movie. There are a lot of nuances that are just lost.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, they haven't released a lot of info on this, so I'm still cautious, but I'll be hoping for the best with this project. Who knows? It might end up surprising a lotta people. Anime catgrin And besides, even if it's only margenably good, it'd still be interesting to see non-anime fans' feedback on DN, in my opinion. Anime hyper
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
subaru wrote:

It seems that a lot of people on this forum is against the idea of Hollywood ;I've adaptation of anime or manga.

You have to look at the track record of Hollywood since at least the 1990's. One could argue that within the last 2 decades, Hollywood has been pretty nonchalant at adaptations from literary, Video game, and Comic Book sources. Pretty much taking the name and basic characters of the property and writing a story around those and completely ignoring the other parts of the property.

It's only as of late that people have been pretty much more attentive to what Hollywood does (not to mention the Internet).

Plus it's kind of sad when anything pre-1980's are hailed better than the todays big block buster crapfest. I remember one Pearl Harbor Survivor (he was working at the Pearl Naval Yard during the attack and almost got killed when some bombs hit the drydocked USS Downes and USS Cassin, directly in front of USS Pennsylvania) actually openly denouncing the Pearl Harbor film as repulsive, and praising Tora! Tora! Tora! as the better film about the Pearl Harbor Attack.
Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
My first reaction would be "Oh god no" but i've always wondered what it would be like to see an American adaption to this very original story. It's safe to say i'm going to continue keeping up with this.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan, the Pearl Harbor film was repulsive. Other war films show how crazy and mad we all are, and what was Michael Bay trying to show us? How beautiful we all are in times of war?
Anyway, I moved on.

An American Death Note. Maybe schools will know exactly why their names are these notebooks kids are carrying in school these days.
oh wait-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Hon'ya-chan, the Pearl Harbor film was repulsive. Other war films show how crazy and mad we all are, and what was Michael Bay trying to show us? How beautiful we all are in times of war?

To hear it from someone who actually survived such an ordeal.....that cringes you.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
Well, this was inevitable. Then again, I thought the Japanese live action films stunk, so why not do American remakes. I sure hope it goes back to the manga, but I'm sure they don't give two figs and will simply copy the bad Japanese films.

As for people who simply insist on Zac Effron for Kira. Dear crap. Are there really that many superficial Death Note fans out there? Just because an actor happens to have the same hair as a character, that doesn't mean he's a good choice for the actor. I've seen dozens of stupid American comics casting like this, so I shouldn't be surprised the Japanese comics fans are any better.

Also, anyone else annoyed by the people who say they love Death Note, say this is going to be horrible, yet still say they'll go see it because it is Death Note? Sigh. I remember when I was that young and foolish. Then a little film called Batman & Robin by Joel Schumacher came out.

No, Virginia, you don't have to go see every Hollywood film just because it shares the same name as a comic / manga you like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8