• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertigo Entertainment Developing U.S. Death Note Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

I'm really wondering how they'll cast Near (if they get that far into the story). Are they going to cast a kid for that part? And what about Mello? I haven't seen the Death Note films from Japan so I don't have a reference on how they casted those roles. There are so many possibilities on how this can go wrong, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see a trailer, which may be for quite a while.

I haven't seen the Japanese films either, but if I understand things correctly, spoiler[they never show up in the Japanese films either, at least not in major roles. Instead the films end with L catching Light. (Though he dies as a result.)]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
Relax! This will never look like the original so why worry? Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
miggie wrote:
Wil Wheaton should be L.

-looks down at watch- Nope. It's not the early 90s anymore. Where do people pull some of these casting ideas from? Yes, sure, L should be 30 some odd years old. You should cast the kid from high school musical as Light Yagami. What's next Hanna Montana as freaking Misa? Ugh.
musk.stick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quote
How do you say DO NOT WANT in seven different languages? I have several theories about this could turn out horribly, and each one is rather likely to occur.

The Xenos wrote:
What's next Hanna Montana as freaking Misa? Ugh.

Laughing You just made my night.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well, this was inevitable. Then again, I thought the Japanese live action films stunk, so why not do American remakes. I sure hope it goes back to the manga, but I'm sure they don't give two figs and will simply copy the bad Japanese films.

I dunno, they didn't do that with the Grudge 2. It was two totally different stories...but I'll give that partial credit because the same director did all 4 movies.

The Xenos wrote:
As for people who simply insist on Zac Effron for Kira. Dear crap. Are there really that many superficial Death Note fans out there? Just because an actor happens to have the same hair as a character, that doesn't mean he's a good choice for the actor. I've seen dozens of stupid American comics casting like this, so I shouldn't be surprised the Japanese comics fans are any better.

I want to say "don't be surprised," but you know...

The Xenos wrote:

Also, anyone else annoyed by the people who say they love Death Note, say this is going to be horrible, yet still say they'll go see it because it is Death Note? Sigh.

Quoted for truth.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Yes, sure, L should be 30 some odd years old.

30 is just five years from his age in the manga.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

It's not that idea in itself is horrible, its that Hollywood will somehow completely ignore what makes Death Note "Death Note" and completely discard it for a palpable gruel for the masses.

Basically completely missing the underlying tone of a mere mortal like Light being given near god-like powers and his dream of creating a perfect utopia. And that ideal is threatened by a person (L) whom feels such power should be quashed at all costs in order to restore balance. Nevermind the checks and balances in our Judicial society, that one book is Judge, Jury, and Executioner. And probably rewriting where some Popular Jock/Ladies Man Teenager finds the Death Note and goes on an ego trip with the book, all the while being a storyline where he "fights the power" in the form of "L." Misa being added for Romantic friction and the obligatory sex scene. Plus Merchandising!!

Light Socks!! L Sugar Cubes!! MisaMisa Panties!!
Time and Space

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

It's not that idea in itself is horrible, its that Hollywood will somehow completely ignore what makes Death Note "Death Note" and completely discard it for a palpable gruel for the masses.

That is the worry, but on the bright side, they can't simply replace the story with unrelenting action, which is often the problem with comic adaptations.

The biggest problem for me is fitting in such a giant story in the space of an hour and a half film; the Japanese live-action version made a fine attempt in two parts, and I expect a Hollywood remake of Death Note will be just as good as that. So not great, but not bad, and pretty much unnescessary for us anime fans anyway.

An average adaptation is as much as we can hope for.
I expect I'll only make an effort to watch it if it attains surprisingly good reviews, otherwise, I'm not terribly interested.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
ARGH HOLLYWOOD BLEGRGJHSOIHDOUHFIWGBKJBKJNCXLAHUITQGB

I could just copy paste this for another 8 pages and you wouldn't miss a thing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

So what? Let the masses eat gruel, You know where to find the Prime rib and Lobster, so who cares?
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Zac Efron for Kira! He's got the good guy thing down, and I'd just love to see him go sociopath.

Also, Jack Coleman for Soichiro Yagami.

Ligene

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't tell if I'm happy or devastated. I'm fan enough to go see it when it comes out, but I'm scared at the thought that Hollywood will turn it in some bad, clichéd horror movie. And dammit, I hate horror movies! They scare the hell out of me (not kidding; I can't watch anime with gore because of this).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ARGH HOLLYWOOD BLEGRGJHSOIHDOUHFIWGBKJBKJNCXLAHUITQGB

I could just copy paste this for another 8 pages and you wouldn't miss a thing.

EPIC. No matter what Laughing

This will definetly be an interesting take on the series, I wonder how all those schools are going to be reacting to this.
camhostage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
If this was a television series of Death Note, then I'd be happy. The movies are good enough as they are, the animated series is its own unique thing, and the TV show could do a lot of things that neither the anime or the live-action movie could do, especially on an American production budget and with the open-ended model of the US television season. It could go deeper into the characters, it could introduce new characters and plotlines, it could have one-off episodes that the anime or even manga never had time for, it could veer from the original storyline without confusing the matter or "damaging" the franchise, and it could take chances as its own entity. As a live-action TV show, Death Note US could have been its own special part of the Death Note experience.

As a remake movie, however... not interested at the moment, but I do hope for the new fans that it won't suck.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Also, Jack Coleman for Soichiro Yagami.

Now THAT would be worth paying money for! x[)

. . . actually kinda fits, now that I think of it. Might have to grow a mustache to finalize it. :B
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8