• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertigo Entertainment Developing U.S. Death Note Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Strangely I have been thinking about a remake of Death Note here lately. I'll be interested in how this turns out; could be good or bad. But either way, we fans will always have the original. Personally, as someone else has already mentioned, it might be better as a tv series.

As for Zac Efron(?) as Kira, I admit he does have the looks but I don't know anything about his acting ability. He could surprise everyone though. I remember back in the 90's, when Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat in Interview With A Vampire, the author, Anne Rice blasted Hollywood for choosing him because she didn't think he could pull it off. But he did a very good job and she changed her mind about it. I remember watching the movie and forgetting it was Tom Cruise on screen. Sorry, a little off-topic here but I think we should just wait and see first. Besides it's still in script development phase at this point.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I think the only reason I have more confidence in a Death Note movie than a DBZ movie is that it's impossible for you to go over-budget on the former. That, and it's not an eye-candy, action-oriented series, which means they would have to pull some major deviations from the source material to screw it up. Plus, if The Butterfly Effect can make money, there's no reason for the company not to go the same route.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought Death Note was all Eye Candy.

...if it isn't before, it is now.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you know I was beginning to wonder if they were going to make an American version of this movie, and then I also thought that Robert DeNiro would be great for Light's dad.

And honestly, now that I think about it, Zac Efron ain't a bad choice. (Though I do not think that website is officially stating that he is, moreso they want him to be).

And why whine about the movie? Why not be happy that America is trying to make this show more widely known? My dad, not an anime fan LOVES Death Note, so yeah, if it's caught the attention of non-anime fans, I'm sure America was thinking big bucks.

I'm actually excited about this.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Well I'm excited. I liked the Japanese movie because of the different take on the series, and I'm interested to see how an American crew will work with the material. Perhaps it will have nothing but the bare bones of the original but end up being a fantastic alternate story in its own right.

Death Note is a franchise, and if you don't think of the movies as canon, then they're not really threatening your perception on the main characters. I mean, L in the Japanese movie is actually very different from his portrayal in the original series. And most people seem to think the kid who played Light was a wooden actor (I sure didn't like him). So yeesh...if the Americans get a bad actor for Light, it's not like it'd be the first time.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Whatever it takes to keep the anime and manga industry from dying out, I say.

It's not like it's going to take away the original manga from you. Or the anime. Or the Japanese live-action movies.

It does nothing to the existing Death Note fiction and product out there, so why not live and let live?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I think I found L.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Sprocket wrote:
It does nothing to the existing Death Note fiction and product out there, so why not live and let live?

Because we want a quality production instead of a half-hearted attempt to "Americanize" an anime property.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Oh, god, not again....I've about reached my limit with all the complaints about the Dragonball movie (which still isn't coming out for 10 more months!), and now it's going to start all over again with the Death Note movie? Please, can people delay the predictions of how this is going to be "teh worst movie EVAR", "Hollywood bastardization", "RUIN Death Note's image FOREVER!!!!11" until we actually know something, about the plot/actors/director/anything? I remember the days when anime getting any sort of mainstream attention was special and exciting (My friends and I screamed with glee that the Barenaked Ladies' song "One Week" mentioned Sailormoon in the lyrics....) These days it's all predictions of doom by the fans of how "the Corporations" are trying to ruin "their" shows for a quick buck.

I love Death Note, so I'm happy to see it getting more attention. My guess is that the movie will probably just take the concept of the Death Note and make its own characters (i.e., some American kid finds a Death Note); though I would prefer to see them keep the characters we know and love, that seems to be the trend with these American remakes of Japanese movies (though some, like "The Grudge" and "Shutter" take American characters and place them in a Japanese setting). Whether the plot is retained or changed for the remake, I'll still definitely go see it, though.

Honestly, the worst I see coming out of this movie is more kids getting expelled for using fake Death Notes at school Rolling Eyes
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
Honestly, the worst I see coming out of this movie is more kids getting expelled for using fake Death Notes at school Rolling Eyes

Which would allow the blame for those incidents to fall on this US film rather than the manga/anime. Can't the purists, pessimists, and haters at least be happy about that?
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
L better eat candy.

That's all I have to say.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
L better eat candy.

That's all I have to say.

The ADA would like a word with you.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I thought Death Note was all Eye Candy.

Depends upon who you're talking about that is going to watch it, I would think.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
bobber205 wrote:
I hope this movie fails and sucks hard as to prevent anymore movies based on anime ever being made out of Hollywood.

My worst fear is that someday Hollywood will give Gundam the transformers treatment.

Now why would you wish that?

Granted, Hollywood's pretty hit-or-miss, emphasis on "miss", but you shouldn't say "DON'T DO THAT" just 'cause it's Hollywood.

Besides, Catwoman/Daredevil/Elektra didn't kill superhero movies. Hell, even Hulk's being given a second chance. Just because a small handful of a genre disappoints doesn't kill a genre.

Japanese comics are an adaptation source just beginning to be tapped. Sure, most may end up mediocre, but there's always the chance we'll get something Iron Man-level rockin'.

I do agree. America has just entered the show of remaking foreign movie. Did they forget the Departed was a remake of the HK movie, Infernal Affair. Look what happen, The departed won best picture at the Academy Award and they're saying remake sucks. I recalled the Director of the US Grudge remake is done by the same director who did the Japanese version also. I think Gundam would do so good as a live-action movie. Do you want Japan to do all the live-action movie? No, other nation adapt anime into live-action like China and Korea turned some of the anime into live-action. Give western country a chance of doing live-action anime. I think US would do a good job of doing live-action anime movie. Beside who is going to do live-action Fullmetal Alchemist, and Trigun. I would want Europe to do live action Trinity Blood, and Hellsing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Empathy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see this! Even if they get at least one scene right, I'll be really happy. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8