• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Restructure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Ken Akamatsu is an excellent manga and anime creator.

Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I also hope that the people who lost their jobs will soon be met with luck and good fortune.

This is definitely news for manga fans and light novel fans to follow and watch closely. Obviously, I don't have to worry about Fruits Basket, but I hope plans for the release of Natsuki Takaya's Phantom Dream will continue to proceed smoothly. And I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Rage Against the Moons and Reborn on the Mars series (Trinity Blood novels), especially since I'm currently reading The Iblis (Volume 2 of RotM). If anything would upset me, it would be to be denied access to the rest of the story of Abel Nightroad. So, I'm rooting for the Crusnik, Sunao Yoshida, and THORES Shibamoto to have their work completed in English. Plus, I would love to see light novels become a continued presence in the English-speaking market, because I'd love to see more translated into English. May light novels (and great manga) survive these trying times.

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
VLOXY wrote:
Manga and anime is a brilliant art form and that is its main allure in my opinion. The freedom of expression in all the variety of books and DVDs is addicting. "If this one is WOW, what is it like in that one, I bet it to is WOW, and that one over there...yes...WOW."
God how I wish there were more people like you out there. Seriously.

Should this event be seen as the beginning of the long whispered of manga industry bubble burst?
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
If we're going to point fingers, then point them first at the people who go in and read manga at the store, but don't buy (and I'm not talking one or two titles, I mean they do this EVERY chance they get).

I don't understand how people do that - especially if they LIKE the series. Wouldn't you want to own it?

I don't go into stores and just sit and read manga. I'll go in, buy it, and read it when I get home. I do read scans though (though only 2 series, and both are Viz releases) but it's so I can be caught up. And you know what? I still buy the volumes when they're released in English.

I can't stand people who don't support the industry, and then complain when it starts crashing. >_<
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Proz512 wrote:
/Economy is falling

Did you even bother to read past the title? If anything, this is them expanding. It sounds much more like TokyoPop is copying Marvel Studios. They've done well publishing comics (Japanese and America) and they want a chunk of the Hollywood Box Office.

Bah. I'm ranting up a blog post about this right now.
loka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
i like tokyopop as a publisher because they have never redone the sfx. at least not in any of the 13 series that i have. they were also nice about translating the interesting notes at the back of the NHK manga.

the only one i fear for is also one of my favorites- the craziness that is Yubisaki Milk Tea.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, being as shojou is still tapping the female comic reader demographic and Fruits Basket may be their all-time best seller, I'd wager that your shoujo titles are safe.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that series that are close to completion have anything to worry about. It's just good PR for them to finish the series. Also, I heard Stu speak at a small art-focused anime and manga con last summer, and he has a personal thing for Welcome to the NHK. He even talked (unofficially) about trying to translate and release the eroge that came bundled with one of the Japanese volumes.

Took me a LONG time to figure out what OEL was. Original English Language manga?

Also, I hate to break it to you guys, but the whole concept of people just standing in a store reading the manga is not unique to America. It is EVERYWHERE in Japan. In 7-11, I sometimes can't even get to the manga rack. In used bookstores, the aisle with Jump Comic and Gangan Comic paperbacks is almost impossible to pass through without weaving and shoving. The Japanese manga market doesn't survive on loyalty; it survives on them making manga cheap enough to be disposable. This is seriously the thought process: "Hmm... I have to catch my train, but I still haven't read X series from this magazine yet. But it's only 250 Yen... that's the price of two drinks from a vending machine. Heck, I'll buy it and throw it away at the next stop." Or, in a bookstore: "This is a really interesting book. I could either stand here in this cold aisle for the next hour reading it (which some tend to do) or I could pay 390 yen, which is less than the price of a snack at McDonald's, take it home, then resell it to a used bookstore next week." In America, MY thought process goes something like this: "This is a good series, but it's $10 a pop. that means I could either collect this series, which I'll probably only read once, or I could invest in a PSP. I think I'll read one or two volumes here in the store, and if I really like it, I'll come back for it."
----------------------------------------------
Double Post.

Reading the article again, one of the divisions will be specifically for new media. That probably means their animated manga and cell phone manga services. Unfortunately for all of us, those are almost exclusively used for the OEL books.

Also, just thought I'd point out that publishing fan art is not a waste of paper. It's just a waste of ink. When books are printed, a large piece of paper is folded into 8, 16, or 32 pages, the book is printed, and then the fold lines are cut, giving us separate pages. That's why you often see blank pages at the beginning or end of a book.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
They better dump their OEL junk and improve their translation quality. Seriously, their Initial D translation was horrid. Also I hate their stupid OEL "manga" that runs in newspapers, way too cliched and predictable.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I think this will be a good thing in the long run.

Tokyopop, as a company, was structured under the assumption it had a near monopoly on the manga market, which it DID a number of years ago. But with Viz and now Del Rey becoming larger and larger players, tokyopop's market share has shrunk (even as the overall market has exploded).

They managed to get away with doing things the same way as before only because of the extreme growth in the overall market, but with the economy slowdown+anime/manga slump this sort of restructuring is seriously needed for them to stay afloat as a company.

If I were them, I'd look into perhaps switching some of their lesser performing series to being offered online only, which would be a decent compromise between simply canceling them and still saves money.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Proz512 wrote:
/Economy is falling

Did you even bother to read past the title? If anything, this is them expanding. It sounds much more like TokyoPop is copying Marvel Studios. They've done well publishing comics (Japanese and America) and they want a chunk of the Hollywood Box Office.

Did you even bother to read past the spin?

If you think this sort of restructuring and them laying off 39 employees (nearly 40% of their staff, estimated) is a sign of tokyopop turning into the next Marvel studies, you must have recently received rose-colored ocular implants.
Arachne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Or maybe it's because so few OEL are worth reading.

Bingo!

If only TP could realize what readers and bookstores already know...
stevek504

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

Took me a LONG time to figure out what OEL was. Original English Language manga?

Yep, I was like OEL? Orchestra Electric Light? So, maybe five minutes on Google was what it took me to figure it out (when you search for OEL, you get a lot of OEL and not a lot of answers). Maybe this would make a good lexicon entry in the encyclopedia?

I am collecting Chibi Vampire, which I bet will be okay. I am a bit worried about the other two: Chibi Vampire: The Novel and Yubisaki Milk Tea. Sad

That is a large percentage of people they let go. I feel for them, I was laid off in December. Best of luck to them, and Tokyopop customers.

I wish TP would change their web site (and CNNmoney.com). I don't like web sites that load up and start blaring out at 2AM. Please let me click on the little play button if I want to see it. Things like that keep me away from web sites. Mad
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
They better dump their OEL junk and improve their translation quality. Seriously, their Initial D translation was horrid. Also I hate their stupid OEL "manga" that runs in newspapers, way too cliched and predictable.

Well, that ties into their even more horrible Initial D anime adapation. There's a reason TokyoPop flunked out of the anime business. They actually redubbed all the popular original music in the dub and replaced it by music by DJ Milky. DJ Milky, who happens to be TokyoPop CEO Stu Levy. Cute. It's no wonder why I a strong distrust for this company and it's crazy emperor.
samuelp wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Proz512 wrote:
/Economy is falling

Did you even bother to read past the spin?
If you think this sort of restructuring and them laying off 39 employees (nearly 40% of their staff, estimated) is a sign of tokyopop turning into the next Marvel studies, you must have recently received rose-colored ocular implants.

I should rephrase that. It's TokyoPop trying to mimic what Marvel is doing with its Marvel Studios move and Marvels successful attempt to gain a foothold in Hollywood. I haven't seen them succeed anywhere near as well as Marvel, or at all for that matter. Plus I've already ranted about what a bad (yet successful) publisher TokyoPop is when that contract thing came out, so I figured I'd focus on what a bad Hollywood production studio they intend on becoming. Wink
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well, as someone who has a blog on a site named Comics2Film, I couldn't help but add some commentary about TokyoPop's trumpeting about entering the "comics-to-film space".

http://www.comics2film.com/b/index.php?blog=11&p=731&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I also bring up a number of criticisms I've had with TokyoPop as well as contend a number of loose 'facts' they have in their press release.

Oh and Heidi MacDonald's blog at Publisher's Weekly has this interesting post.

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2008/06/02/trouble-ahead-1-toykopop/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8