• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
strahl wrote:
answerman should have a question:

"What do you do to make friends that like anime?"

usually anime and manga fans try to find good friends among other people with the same interest, until unfriendly etilist guys like a few that posted here recently start talking over their mighty horse saying "Oh my gosh, he/she started talking to me...how dare he/she" maybe you guys are the unfriendly ones?

It's not really that they're being unfriendly. It's usually that the people who approach them in the store are either really loud/stinky/elitist/socially awkward.

Indeed. I doubt anybody here minds if a fellow fan talks to them. In fact most would likely enjoy it. That is though presuming that said fan doesn't smell, yell, correct your pronunciation, tell you why the things you like suck, tell you why something is teh best thing evar, tell you how true fans should act, gush over attractive characters, or exhibit any of the other extremely irritating habits some fans have. Just because someone is a fellow fan or is trying to be friendly doesn't give them a free pass on being annoying. There's nothing unfriendly or elitist about being annoyed when someone who you find really annoying talks to you. Thats just how human interaction works.
DamienStryker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Being the (former) president of an anime club, I believe that I'm most adept at answering a question like this one. See, the funny thing is that I didn't even run into "that guy" until I was outside of my auditorium walls. I was walking to my math class in the Main building and he stopped me, because I was wearing one of many, many anime club t-shirts that we've been making for years. He looked me in the face and asked me whether I liked anime or not and I gave him quite the stare back. I always wondered what kind of people stare you in the face and ask that question knowing the answer already. Why dawn the colors of Hellsing as well as a crest if you don't know anything about anime? Meh... I digress...

The guy proceeded to talk to me about his collection and why what we do at anime club, and I quote, "Furthers the American agenda on what's proper and just in this nation's view of Japanese Animation." It was at this point that I made it a point to just keep on walking because I didn't want to get into a confrontation over why I can't watch Tenchi GXP with a collection of friends because it's not what he would do as president. Call me crazy, but I thought that being involved with anime was all about watching for the fun of it and not for the acceptance of a selected few elitists. So yep... "that guy" really irked me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5